Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by labryan7
thank you for your inputs
There are several very good MAZDA dealership in uther CA , your area. I would contact them by going to the dealership (not by phone or email) and talk to the service manager and not be demanding . I am sure they will enter your VIN and start a communication with MAZDA USA direct about your Mazda. I also would not wait much longer based on what you have posted about your MAZDA!

Old 03-15-2024, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
There are several very good MAZDA dealership in uther CA , your area. I would contact them by going to the dealership (not by phone or email) and talk to the service manager and not be demanding . I am sure they will enter your VIN and start a communication with MAZDA USA direct about your Mazda. I also would not wait much longer based on what you have posted about your MAZDA!
I already contacted Mazda USA and of course they said it's out of powertrain. Basically, I wrote them back almost begging them to consider the issue since it's 53K miles & 2018 model and what I found on the internet. One of the persons even posted a picture of his head cylinder casting crack highlighted the location which fits into my situation under the thread "2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket". At this point, it's a tough decision because even if Mazda USA gives me the new head cylinder casting that's probably only 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost to fix it. Once you have a major issue like this, it's like a ticking bomb even after you fixed it and thinking about it so you have to sell the vehicle after fixing it. One also needs to disclose it if potential buyer asks if there's any major issue and who in the right mind would buy a relatively new vehicle with such issue even after the fix. It almost seems like just sell it AS-IS for parts and cut the loss, nightmare, stress, and headaches. Of course, best scenario is to part it out to get back more money but that will take 2 or 3 years and a storage.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:31 AM

I already contacted Mazda USA and of course they said it's out of powertrain. Basically, I wrote them back almost begging them to consider the issue since it's 53K miles & 2018 model and what I found on the internet. One of the persons even posted a picture of his head cylinder casting crack highlighted the location which fits into my situation under the thread "2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket". At this point, it's a tough decision because even if Mazda USA gives me the new head cylinder casting that's probably only 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost to fix it. Once you have a major issue like this, it's like a ticking bomb even after you fixed it and thinking about it so you have to sell the vehicle after fixing it. One also needs to disclose it if potential buyer asks if there's any major issue and who in the right mind would buy a relatively new vehicle with such issue even after the fix. It almost seems like just sell it AS-IS for parts and cut the loss, nightmare, stress, and headaches. Of course, best scenario is to part it out to get back more money but that will take 2 or 3 years and a storage.
Ok so a few misconceptions often arise on forums and what we think things are and should be. I already posted some let me post a few more.

NO it not a "TICKING TIME BOMB" to replace a few parts if and I say IF the person doing the service is first trained and skilled with a few years' experience that will look at the BIG picture and examine all the other parts that are in the service for them to be in SAFE condition to use. Sorry but service a head or even replacing a single piston in an engine has been done successfully without the "TICKING TIME BOMB" fear for just about as long as cars have been manufactured!

As for you or anyone comparing ANY issue like a transmission rear end or in the case major ENGINE repair is not in any way conclusive. NO ONE knows all the facts and we seldom if ever see the final report from a complete tear down and inspection. Auto manufacture almost NEVER authorize that to be done and the rare times were really only on platforms that offered a performance model and needed to know if there was a power support issue or in most all over the years was the customer driving it like they were on a road track and competing. Like some decades old Corvettes and an issue that came up with the 454 years ago. There are a few other examples, but we need not post all of them.

While I sympathize with your problem, I also am realistic, you are out of warranty, and it seem clear your issue was not recorded as a concern prior to your WARRATY lapsing. Auto manufacture make actually very few exceptions and the few that are out there are a behind the scenes agreement with the one dealership that that agrees to do the out of WARRATY service. This goes to the contract agreement that dealers sign to be able to sell and service warranty vehicles. Bottom line they get less then 1/2 compensation for a service agreed to by the auto manufacture to service an out of warranty procedure. There is naturally a lot more to this but I am not going to type out a several page contract between a dealer and auto manufacture. If anyone is truly interested, I am sure you can find one somewhere on the internet?

As for your wording about a head casting???????? MAZDA I would be VERY surprised to give you only the casting. In this type of service, they would, or I should say almost ALL auto manufactures would replace the head UNIT. That means a completed assembled haed. You would not need to R&R the components on the core head like valve and springs, retainers, etc., etc., etc. to the new head casting. I am not sure I even remember ever reading only a bare head casting sent to replace a head problem from any auto manufacture only EVER???? But who knows maybe the person you are communicating with does not know how to choose the correct description or if they really did say only head casting maybe it was a ploy to discourage the service altogether??? Without reading your EXACT correspondence I couldn't tell you for sure. But hey if I ask for that documentation the TURDS (shi*) HEADS on forums jump on the band wagon as say I shouldn't ask for such information and only trust the inexperienced members word for all the transpired in a negotiation for a WARRANTY or service related issue. LOL

As for the cost to R&R a head and to service other corresponding parts that is what you should be getting estimates for?
As for people interested in buying any vehicle that ask for a major service that in itself by definition of a head R&R is not really in any service procedure manual defined as a major service but more how shops describe it to get the job and how people that don't know any better think they understand or somehow label the service?

LOL I can see a Factory service manual for R&R a head starting off with

THIS IS A MAJOR SERVICE...... LOL

Old 03-16-2024, 12:00 PM

Ok so a few misconceptions often arise on forums and what we think things are and should be. I already posted some let me post a few more.

NO it not a "TICKING TIME BOMB" to replace a few parts if and I say IF the person doing the service is first trained and skilled with a few years' experience that will look at the BIG picture and examine all the other parts that are in the service for them to be in SAFE condition to use. Sorry but service a head or even replacing a single piston in an engine has been done successfully without the "TICKING TIME BOMB" fear for just about as long as cars have been manufactured!

As for you or anyone comparing ANY issue like a transmission rear end or in the case major ENGINE repair is not in any way conclusive. NO ONE knows all the facts and we seldom if ever see the final report from a complete tear down and inspection. Auto manufacture almost NEVER authorize that to be done and the rare times were really only on platforms that offered a performance model and needed to know if there was a power support issue or in most all over the years was the customer driving it like they were on a road track and competing. Like some decades old Corvettes and an issue that came up with the 454 years ago. There are a few other examples, but we need not post all of them.

While I sympathize with your problem, I also am realistic, you are out of warranty, and it seem clear your issue was not recorded as a concern prior to your WARRATY lapsing. Auto manufacture make actually very few exceptions and the few that are out there are a behind the scenes agreement with the one dealership that that agrees to do the out of WARRATY service. This goes to the contract agreement that dealers sign to be able to sell and service warranty vehicles. Bottom line they get less then 1/2 compensation for a service agreed to by the auto manufacture to service an out of warranty procedure. There is naturally a lot more to this but I am not going to type out a several page contract between a dealer and auto manufacture. If anyone is truly interested, I am sure you can find one somewhere on the internet?

As for your wording about a head casting???????? MAZDA I would be VERY surprised to give you only the casting. In this type of service, they would, or I should say almost ALL auto manufactures would replace the head UNIT. That means a completed assembled haed. You would not need to R&R the components on the core head like valve and springs, retainers, etc., etc., etc. to the new head casting. I am not sure I even remember ever reading only a bare head casting sent to replace a head problem from any auto manufacture only EVER???? But who knows maybe the person you are communicating with does not know how to choose the correct description or if they really did say only head casting maybe it was a ploy to discourage the service altogether??? Without reading your EXACT correspondence I couldn't tell you for sure. But hey if I ask for that documentation the TURDS (shi*) HEADS on forums jump on the band wagon as say I shouldn't ask for such information and only trust the inexperienced members word for all the transpired in a negotiation for a WARRANTY or service related issue. LOL

As for the cost to R&R a head and to service other corresponding parts that is what you should be getting estimates for?
As for people interested in buying any vehicle that ask for a major service that in itself by definition of a head R&R is not really in any service procedure manual defined as a major service but more how shops describe it to get the job and how people that don't know any better think they understand or somehow label the service?

LOL I can see a Factory service manual for R&R a head starting off with

THIS IS A MAJOR SERVICE...... LOL
Obviously, I would assume they only replace the cylinder head instead of the whole unit and I saw from this post https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cracke...4#post-6798510 Northeast :2020 CX-5 Tour posted "Mazda decided to cut their internal costs by replacing the head, instead of the entire engine".

Old 03-16-2024, 12:22 PM

Obviously, I would assume they only replace the cylinder head instead of the whole unit and I saw from this post https: Northeast :2020 CX-5 Tour posted "Mazda decided to cut their internal costs by replacing the head, instead of the entire engine".
Wait what? hahah your definition is somewhat inaccurate. A head assembly is the complete head and all the parts installed on the head. A short block is the lower engine assembly block and internal parts only. The 2 combined is called a complete engine and or depending a complete engine less bolt on parts. There is actually several other descriptive terms depending on the parts catalog OEM? Basically, your wording was incorrect a few posts back I think with what you thought they were offering which was not likely a"BARE HEAD". I cant begin to go into why that would be unreasonable in this conversation regarding your issue of concern with the engine!
Yes I followed that disaster of a thread on that forum as I am a member there. However, choose a while ago to discontinue to post because embers there get butt hurt being to be thinned skinned and complained about my direct posting style. But unlike here they prefer DIY information that coincides with what they think the world should be instead of real facts, empirical information and experience. LOL
Please at least attempt/try to research and maybe get better information besides a DIY or less on a car forum. (like the one yu are posting an example to, support what?) your That member does not have a cluse about the WARRANRTY and the details of what is and is not covered. The head in his WARRATY request was the p[roblem but MAZDA and the dealership did not find fault with the short block. So NO MAZDA DID NOT [color=#c0392b]cut corners to save money!!!!!!!!
Please perhaps re-read some of my response and at least consider that I may know a little on the various subjects and most assuredly auto manufactures WARRATIES.

Read you own WARRATY in detail or request a better detailed warranty explanation form MAZDA or for that matter pick any auto manufacture.

I suggest and recommend that you keep directly contacting MNAZDA USA yourself and be a pest about it. I also suggest in a polite way to keep in touch with the dealer you started your campaign with and get them to continue to contact MAZDA USA (if in fact they ever did? did you get any documentation indicating they did or just their word? ).

This time I will sign off with .....among other reasons I am one of the few authorized independent ASE that has authorization from some auto manufactures and new vehicle dealership to perform at times WARRANTY service in the shop I am presently in.

ASE

Last edited by Callisto; 03-16-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:38 PM

Wait what? hahah your definition is somewhat inaccurate. A head assembly is the complete head and all the parts installed on the head. A short block is the lower engine assembly block and internal parts only. The 2 combined is called a complete engine and or depending a complete engine less bolt on parts. There is actually several other descriptive terms depending on the parts catalog OEM? Basically, your wording was incorrect a few posts back I think with what you thought they were offering which was not likely a"BARE HEAD". I cant begin to go into why that would be unreasonable in this conversation regarding your issue of concern with the engine!
Yes I followed that disaster of a thread on that forum as I am a member there. However, choose a while ago to discontinue to post because embers there get butt hurt being to be thinned skinned and complained about my direct posting style. But unlike here they prefer DIY information that coincides with what they think the world should be instead of real facts, empirical information and experience. LOL
Please at least attempt/try to research and maybe get better information besides a DIY or less on a car forum. (like the one yu are posting an example to, support what?) your That member does not have a cluse about the WARRANRTY and the details of what is and is not covered. The head in his WARRATY request was the p[roblem but MAZDA and the dealership did not find fault with the short block. So NO MAZDA DID NOT [color=#c0392b]cut corners to save money!!!!!!!!
Please perhaps re-read some of my response and at least consider that I may know a little on the various subjects and most assuredly auto manufactures WARRATIES.

Read you own WARRATY in detail or request a better detailed warranty explanation form MAZDA or for that matter pick any auto manufacture.

I suggest and recommend that you keep directly contacting MNAZDA USA yourself and be a pest about it. I also suggest in a polite way to keep in touch with the dealer you started your campaign with and get them to continue to contact MAZDA USA (if in fact they ever did? did you get any documentation indicating they did or just their word? ).

This time I will sign off with .....among other reasons I am one of the few authorized independent ASE that has authorization from some auto manufactures and new vehicle dealership to perform at times WARRANTY service in the shop I am presently in.

ASE
Oh, ok. I am not very knowledgeable about car other than the basic stuff so thanks for clearing that out. Yes, I almost beg Mazda USA to consider looking into my case.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:16 PM

I don't want to go re-read all your responses but did you buy this as a new vehicle or used?

Old 03-16-2024, 03:21 PM

I don't want to go re-read all your responses but did you buy this as a new vehicle or used?
never mind.... Now I see why you are having trouble to get it covered after the standard Mazda WARRANTY has expired.
It is highly doubtful at this point because it is out of warranty and other information why you are not likely to get it covered.
Sorry.

And that member has poor advise. ROLMAO...