Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kilroy22
... If Antoine reinstates me, I can provide him the repair invoice
my personal info redacted of course. ....
How about posting it here for all to see (including Antoine). Anyone who follows this stuff is always very interested to see what's contained in these dealer documents.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:42 AM

When you get banned on a forum it really is sort of un kool to bring that garbage to another forum Let alone asked member here to ask a Adim or mod on another forum let you return. I should also say that most forums programing once a member is banned can not reinstate that ban members old name. It is permanently gone. Some forums will allow you to rejoin but using a different name and most all if they do that do not let you talk about your previous username if you were banned.
Basically bring dirty laundry here from other forums even the member that said you were joining random forums and reporting the same problem is just uncool and trust me was reported and watched by the mods and Admin.
So IMHO on so you don't get your responses reported here I would suggest just stay on the topic of your Mazda and STOP talking about the other forums and their choice to BAN you for anyreason they felt they wanted to. Read the guideleines. On some forums it does state that those discession are FINAL! LOL

Old 04-02-2023, 10:14 PM

Take it for what it's worth.
Dealer that fixed mine said they see 1, maybe 2 cracked cylinder heads per month.
Multiply that out by how many dealerships for an approximate failure number. Let's say use the lower figure of 1 per month and multiply that by # of dealers. Apparently there's between 544 and 600 dealerships. Let's say only half the dealers fix a head every month ...so maybe 300 X1 =300 heads per month or maybe 3,600 per year. This is guesstimate on the low end. It could be lower or higher. It would be nice to hear what other dealers are seeing as far as failure rates. Only mazda has the real figures. The good thing is they can get these fixed in a few days to few weeks due to plenty of cylinder head replacement stock now. Apparently they have 500 of these sitting in a warehouse. The mechanics did a decent job on the replacement and addressed all concerns.
My suggestion, if it's a 2018 to 2020 and close to warranty expiration is trade it in on the newer models or get an extended warranty(make sure what's covered and what's excluded).

The CX-5 is still a great vehicle, best safety features in collisions, nice acceleration for an SUV, sleek styling , nice interior and plenty of features. Biggest drawback is the older models with potential cracked heads. If you want a CX-5 , just get a new one or if buying older, get one that's already had the head repair.

Edit: expect that most new postings should mention a quick turnaround time.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-03-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:19 PM

Any guesstimate what the cost will be to replace the cracked cylinder head if it is not covered under warranty?

Old 04-03-2023, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Any guesstimate what the cost will be to replace the cracked cylinder head if it is not covered under warranty?
I thought I read other posts where it was between $5000 to $8000. Some were lucky that Mazda goodwill a portion and only had to pay like $2000 or $3000 but those were lucky cases.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:43 PM

I thought I read other posts where it was between $5000 to $8000. Some were lucky that Mazda goodwill a portion and only had to pay like $2000 or $3000 but those were lucky cases.
We just paid $3500 and that was with a $700 credit from the dealer for half of the labor. We're still fighting Mazda over getting warranty coverage but have slim hopes there.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:24 PM

So that cylinder head repair seems ok but im still smelling coolant outside after driving and running engine.
Does not appear to be any drop in coolant level but keeping an eye on it.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:36 PM

Wow, that's indeed pretty costly. Our extended warranty runs out in January 2024, so I might need to think about extending it.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:43 PM

What type of smell do you have when this happens? We had some plastic burn smell today, but I checked the engine and underneath the car, there was no oil, so I am not sure if this happened to our car or not.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
What type of smell do you have when this happens? We had some plastic burn smell today, but I checked the engine and underneath the car, there was no oil, so I am not sure if this happened to our car or not.
Most of the NA cracked cylinder head reports I've read have mentioned at least some smoke coming from the engine bay, along with the burning smell. The crack is almost always going to be underneath the top heat shield, which covers the back of the head and the exhaust manifold. So the smoke would be drifting up from the edges of that shield after the engine is warmed up, while the vehicle is idling.

If you do see smoke, the leak can be confirmed by unbolting the heat shield and lifting a bit, in order to get a look at the back of the head. Not much point to that however, because if it's smoking from that part of the engine, you would be having it towed to Mazda anyway.

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket