Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:28 AM
Default Blow head gasket on a 2019 cx-5.

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.
I also have this problem. The exact same thing happened to me. No warning lights came on. I was 5 minutes into driving my Cx-5 when steam cSme barreling from hood. I had jus gotten home. I also had a nice size oil mess under my car.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.

I live in Southern California, and own a 2019 CX5. I just took it in yesterday because my wife was complaining about a burning smell. We had just changed the oil as well. And have always brought my car in to Mazda to be serviced. I removed the engine cover and noticed that there was oil leaking out of the head gasket. I brought it in and After inspection they told me I needed a new head cylinder. I asked what the cause was but the service rep couldn't respond as to why. So I searched Google to see what I found and came across this forum. I guess it may be more common than I thought. My car only has 31k miles. Always had mazda change my oil fully synthetic. Idk maybe just a faulty part. Hopefully not ongoing once I'm out of warranty.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:09 PM

We do have a 2018 CX-5. Will be following this thread closely.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by IsaacM16
I live in Southern California, and own a 2019 CX5. I just took it in yesterday because my wife was complaining about a burning smell. We had just changed the oil as well. And have always brought my car in to Mazda to be serviced. I removed the engine cover and noticed that there was oil leaking out of the head gasket. I brought it in and After inspection they told me I needed a new head cylinder. I asked what the cause was but the service rep couldn't respond as to why. So I searched Google to see what I found and came across this forum. I guess it may be more common than I thought. My car only has 31k miles. Always had mazda change my oil fully synthetic. Idk maybe just a faulty part. Hopefully not ongoing once I'm out of warranty.
From what I read is that some vehicles were affected by a faulty part so once they fix yours you should be fine down the road. I hope that in our case this does not happen after our extended warranty expires in about 2 years.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:33 PM

This just happened to us -- 2018 Mazda CX5 Touring with 46,000 miles, purchased new.
Dealer said it could be 4-6 weeks before they can get parts. No loaner available at this time, but will call with next one is available.
We also bought a new 2011 CX9 and still own it. This is the first mechanical issue with either car.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Globie
This just happened to us -- 2018 Mazda CX5 Touring with 46,000 miles, purchased new.
Dealer said it could be 4-6 weeks before they can get parts. No loaner available at this time, but will call with next one is available.
We also bought a new 2011 CX9 and still own it. This is the first mechanical issue with either car.
Whenever I see posts like this I am thinking are we driving a time bomb with our 2018 CX-5

Old 01-27-2022, 08:48 AM

Just thought I’d add an update to our situation. We got the car back from the dealer who replaced the cylinder head on November 27th and we have had absolutely no problems in the two months since. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaman007
Just thought I’d add an update to our situation. We got the car back from the dealer who replaced the cylinder head on November 27th and we have had absolutely no problems in the two months since. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Glad to hear it worked out. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dubbbber
Burning smell, oil seen on ground. Checked oil down 1 quart. Filled it backup checked it again ok, drove it to dealer five miles. The checked it the oil down half a quart they said. Knew exactly what the issue was completely covered. They are replacing the head, no engine light no low oil nothing, no codes either I check myself. Only 16k miles on the car. Hopefully they fix it right? I have another CX-5 with 255k miles with no oil leaks at all!!
The older cx-5s to be are way more reliable. But yes as most people have said in this thread that the cylinder head has most likely cracked without warning besides missing coolant or oil. Hopefully they got it done in a timely manner. As I've seen some people say the dealership had their vehicle for 2 + months which is crazy. I only waited a week and a half for a new engine and it just came in on Friday and the customer will get their car back by next tuesday

Old 02-07-2022, 09:50 AM

What years are having this issue?

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket