Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Old 10-26-2020, 10:00 PM
Default 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 PM

That is a little scary. Never heard of this happening. I thought of the 2.5l as being fairly bulletproof...

Old 10-27-2020, 08:24 AM

I did not read what the cause was only what was told to supposedly reported by MAZDA!
I do find it interesting that so many things had to happen and yet no stored DTC?

I would like to see the service order!

Look...... we already have one member jumping in responding to conclusions about the reliability of a MAZDA engine? Lets get a few more details and hopefully some real facts about the cause!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-27-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Never seen a 2.5 skyactiv engine fail ( except the customer who drove 50,000kms without a oil change )

Mazda will fit a brand new engine, they don't rebuild engines.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM

Sounds like whoever did your oil change did not tighten the drain plug or filter and oil leaked out and engine blew up.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Never seen a 2.5 skyactiv engine fail ( except the customer who drove 50,000kms without a oil change )

Mazda will fit a brand new engine, they don't rebuild engines.
That was what I was saying in my post. The 2.5 skyactiv seems quite robust if you use a modicum of care. Must just be a bad one.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
That was what I was saying in my post. The 2.5 skyactiv seems quite robust if you use a modicum of care. Must just be a bad one.
Maybe in the future actually post what you meant and not what you said? Besides I am curious what your conclusive reasoning is given your are not in the Automotive industry to capacity that would have any actual numbers of failed MAZDA engines? LOL!

I am still waiting in hopes that we get to see the service write up !

Old 10-28-2020, 05:45 PM

Ahhh Calisto, always a beam of light in a dark room...

Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Ahhh Calisto, always a beam of light in a dark room...
Yup!

Old 11-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Default Just fixed mine.

on 9/29 I arrived at work and smelled something burning and what appeared to be some smoke coming from my hood. I inspected it and could see nothing wrong. It rained on the way home so I couldn’t tell if there was smoke. But I could still smell the awful smell. The next morning I called mazda and told them I didn’t have an appointment but something was burning they told me to bring it in. On the highway about 2 miles away from dealer I could see smoke and then my oil light came on. My 1st instinct was that mazda never did my oil change as I just had one done not to long ago. I pulled into a pep boys because I was scared to drive it. And it wasn’t even open yet. Once they opened I asked if they could take a look. They put it on the lift and he called me and the whole car was covered in oil. He said he didn’t want to touch it because my mazda was new, leased and just at 30,000 miles. He recommended I get it towed the rest of the way to mazda as I did. After trying to call and follow up for 3 weeks they told me I blew a head gasket and the cylinders are all messed up. I would need a whole engine rebuild... covered under warranty. It took about a month to fix. I picked up my car and drove it home ... it’s about 8 minutes from my house. And again I could smell that horrible burning smell. I called mazda and they said that’s not good bring it back. I asked is it safe to drive they said yea. So they popped the hood and they said there seems to be some oil on engine. They took the car in the back and claim to have sprayed the filters and said there was some oil they couldn’t remove from the Exhaust pipes. They said it would go away. This was on 10/26... it’s now 11/1 and there still a horrible smell. I don’t feel comfortable having kids in the car because of it. .... mazda lost me as a customer my car goes back 12/2021. I will not be a returning customer.

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten aoil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket-a8e96570-efff-4422-b26c-6ebf8063c03b.jpeg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket