Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:40 AM
Default CX-5 head gasket

Thankyou everyone for your input on here it has been very helpful. Thankfully Mazda are replacing my engine 👍

Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM

Attention Root cause of the oil leaks on 2018,2019 and some 2020's at least my 2020 is the aluminium head has cavities in the head to save on weight where they purposely remove excess metal to reduce weight overall. The problem was the factory installs the exhaust manifold using robots and when they fastened the exhaust to the head, the nuts were overtightened, stressing the aluminium head and near cylinder #3 and causing a crack in the aluminium head block. Now power up your engine and let that nice moly oil find the least path of resistance and flow out that crack all over the back side of the motor onto the power steering and ac pump along the right side disc for the brake and you get burning oil and rubber smell along with smoke pouring out of the engine area etc... So in my case the motor has 16500 miles, its a 2020 sport 2.5L, the oil and burning smell started took it to the dealer they likely knew what the problem was although they have not seen it on the 2020's yet, but its definitely the same thing on the 2018's and 2019's. No codes no engine light nothing but I caught it right when it started, checked the oil when cool it was done 1 quart of oil, topped it off and checked it the next day still good. Called the dealer drove it over there 4-5 miles away, when they checked the oil it was down 1/2 quart so do the math. 5 = 1/2 quart, 10 miles 1 quart, and there is typically 5 quarts for an oil change that mean in 50 miles you will likely blow your motor up but the oil light should be on by then. So it's really not the head gasket its the block itself that cracks. They replace the head and it comes with all new valves 4 per cylinder etc... they replaced all the head bolts and re-torqued the exhaust manifold bolts, did an oil change and replaced the coolant that goes with replacing the head on the motor. Gave me a loaner vehicle for the time they had my car just had to return it with a full tank of gas. Overall not too bad of an experience with this dealer they were honest and transparent, they sent me a nice video of the initial inspection too. Also when I got the car back the power seemed a lot better they disconnected the battery so I imagine the shift points are re-learned and in my case made noticeable difference.
Good luck everyone, I still think Mazda is a quality car, I have had an 84-626, 95-626, 2007-Mazda 3 hatchback, currently a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD and 2020 CX-5 sport AWD. I have owned Fords and Toyotas too but you get a lot for your money with Mazda.
The pictures in the chain shows exactly where the crack(s) start or appear.

Last edited by Mazda_626x2_3x1_cx5x2; 09-15-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mazda_626x2_3x1_cx5x2
Attention Root cause of the oil leaks on 2018,2019 and some 2020's at least my 2020 is the aluminium head has cavities in the head to save on weight where they purposely remove excess metal to reduce weight overall. The problem was the factory installs the exhaust manifold using robots and when they fastened the exhaust to the head, the nuts were overtightened, stressing the aluminium head and near cylinder #3 and causing a crack in the aluminium head block. Now power up your engine and let that nice moly oil find the least path of resistance and flow out that crack all over the back side of the motor onto the power steering and ac pump along the right side disc for the brake and you get burning oil and rubber smell along with smoke pouring out of the engine area etc... So in my case the motor has 16500 miles, its a 2020 sport 2.5L, the oil and burning smell started took it to the dealer they likely knew what the problem was although they have not seen it on the 2020's yet, but its definitely the same thing on the 2018's and 2019's. No codes no engine light nothing but I caught it right when it started, checked the oil when cool it was done 1 quart of oil, topped it off and checked it the next day still good. Called the dealer drove it over there 4-5 miles away, when they checked the oil it was down 1/2 quart so do the math. 5 = 1/2 quart, 10 miles 1 quart, and there is typically 5 quarts for an oil change that mean in 50 miles you will likely blow your motor up but the oil light should be on by then. So it's really not the head gasket its the block itself that cracks. They replace the head and it comes with all new valves 4 per cylinder etc... they replaced all the head bolts and re-torqued the exhaust manifold bolts, did an oil change and replaced the coolant that goes with replacing the head on the motor. Gave me a loaner vehicle for the time they had my car just had to return it with a full tank of gas. Overall not too bad of an experience with this dealer they were honest and transparent, they sent me a nice video of the initial inspection too. Also when I got the car back the power seemed a lot better they disconnected the battery so I imagine the shift points are re-learned and in my case made noticeable difference.
Good luck everyone, I still think Mazda is a quality car, I have had an 84-626, 95-626, 2007-Mazda 3 hatchback, currently a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD and 2020 CX-5 sport AWD. I have owned Fords and Toyotas too but you get a lot for your money with Mazda.
The pictures in the chain shows exactly where the crack(s) start or appear.
Thanks for sharing! I really hope Mazda will extend warranty for those which their vehicle was affected by this. I still love and have faith with Mazda. I previously own a 1st Gen. Mazda 3 HB. I love the fact that Mazda is competing with luxury brand like BMW, and Benz, and even Lexus. I would put down deposit if Mazda plan to release RX-9 in the future.