Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
What type of smell do you have when this happens? We had some plastic burn smell today, but I checked the engine and underneath the car, there was no oil, so I am not sure if this happened to our car or not.
If its leaking while driving you may not notice. Also, depending on how bad/wide the the crack is, you may not notice. Once it starts, it will get worse pretty fast. Check it at idle, leave run for 5 minutes, look for smoke leaking from under hood. If see/smell smoke, leave engine run, pop hood and look at back of engine for leaking oil from the middle of cylinder head. May be hard to see, especially if your oils clean/changed regular. Use a mirror. Also, get under car and pop off the plastic cover for oil filter/drain. If the heads cracked, you should see oil on the cover, filter, pan, tranny, axle, cv boots, frame, etc.
The worse it gets , it will be easy to see as oil be everywhere. Use triple A or pay $100 for a tow. Better than any potential damage to engine from running low on oil.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-12-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:34 AM

So after taking the best pictures while in a contorted position of the new cylinder head, and comparing them to pics of the old cracked head, there appears to be no difference in the CX-5 CD head. The last one cracked and filled compartment with toxic smoke and fumes and even had some sparks in engine compartment while running. So now the concern is that this one will crack just like the last one did. Can anyone verify that they redesigned the head to fix the problem ....or was there a casting problem(bubbled, insufficient metal ) in the 2018-2020 batches? Do the heads have date codes ? I'm assuming they would have used heads from a new batch and not leftovers?

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-16-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.
I have a few drop of oil leak in my 2018 mazda cx5 (53K miles) right after my warranty expires. I used to think highly of mazda but not after this incident.

Last edited by labryan7; 03-12-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by labryan7
I have a few drop of oil leak in my 2018 mazda cx5 (53K miles) right after my warranty expires. I used to think highly of mazda but not after this incident.
Try reaching out to Mazda dealers and their headquarters if the dealers won't help. They may help you in good faith.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:02 PM

thank you for your encouragement and hope.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:32 AM

Yup, it's hard to detect as you said it's in the back and under the engine. I have 2018 cx5 53K miles just out of warranty and noticed a few drop of oil. It took me awhile trying to pinpoint but I realized what I saw was just the drip from the source to different places. I am trying to figure out if it makes sense just to sell all the parts instead of fixing it. Always love mazda, this is my second mazda but most likely the last one.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fowlerfam
This issue happened to us last month just past 60k mikes, and Mazda is refusing to cover under warranty. We have purchased 4 new Mazdas over the last 10 years and have been the reason why others have purchased Mazdas. Mazda claims that the reason that warranty coverage was denied was that we had not shown loyalty to the dealership by having our CX5 serviced there. We live far away from a Mazda dealership and have our car regularly serviced at a nearby shop. After learning (after the fact) that this was the reason they denied warranty coverage, we provided all service records. We also reiterated that the ultimate sign of dealer loyalty was demonstrated by our buying another Mazda 6 months ago!! We're pushing for an appeal but Mazda has been unresponsive. Mazda of Roswell has been supportive in trying to get coverage, but we need a dealership owner to get involved. We love Mazda cars, but their unwillingness to acknowledge their fault in an issue that is clearly tied to manufacturing defects is unacceptable. We've been fighting this for a month now. We're considering legal action to try to force Mazdas hand. This will likely be our last Mazda if not favorably resolved given their demonstrated lack of care for a long time loyal customer. I worked in the corporate warranty group of one of the biggest computer companies in the world and know how the game is played. Any suggestions on getting coverage would be appreciated. I appreciate all the info provided on this topic by this forum and its members. Question: is it smarter to sell the CX5 rather that risk this happening again?
Just wondering if Mazda helps you because I am in a similar boat, 2018 cx5 53k miles and passed powertrain warranty. Most likely a hair cracked engine since the leak is minimal but will definitely smell it in cabin since it drips down to the heat shield.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by NHSkier
i contacted Mazda Corporate Customer Service Feb 11th. The phone call took 45 min. I was told they would send the request to the warranty dept since I was ~13,000 mi out of warranty. I followed up a week later to find out the guy with whom I spoke no longer worked at Mazda and never filed a request. I repeated the 45min phone call of details, sent them the estimate, they spoke with the dealership contact, said it could take 2 weeks as Warranty Dept is backed up.

I followed up with service manager at my dealership and got a whole different story from him. He said Customer Service would never send it to Warranty Dept. He made some calls. He followed up with me that the $3300 estimate they gave me 2-3 weeks prior could now be $4-5000 and that the quote in parts was $1100 but I would need $2500 deposit to order parts. He spoke in such a way to make it sound crazy that anyone would help with good will when his own service guys, with whom I originally spoke, had encouraged me to contact Mazda Corp explaining that this is a known problem, they’ve replaced several, but I was the only one so far out of warranty.

Meanwhile, they told me I could keep driving the car, but when temp light went on in boondocks of rural NH, thankfully driving past a family friend’s house who used to be a mechanic for Volvo years ago, so I literally was able to stop care immediately at his house. He told me to tow it and thought my dealership was nuts to let me drive it. The radiator overflow was full but radiator empty. So, $50 tow, borrowing my parents’s car, they are annoyed I have no offer of a loaner, and no help. Meanwhile, parts are 1-2 months back ordered and haven’t been ordered. If I have to pay full fair, it might not be worth $5000 on a 2016 with ~73,000mi. So much for loyal dealership usage for all previous service including tires!

i was curious about a few others who had this happen on their CX-5s immediately after an oil change. This happened to me.

Thank you for all the replies from everyone and all sorts of posts over the years, very informative.
I know this is a year ago but I wonder did you have to pay for everything? I have 2018 cx5 53K miles with cracked engine and out of powertrain by months and like to know. thanks.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by labryan7
I know this is a year ago but I wonder did you have to pay for everything? I have 2018 cx5 53K miles with cracked engine and out of powertrain by months and like to know. thanks.
This is really more a legal question, and you really should seek out professional advice. The only thing I can tell you is that Warrantees have a set time and or mileage for a reason. So technically speaking unless you had these issues logged in a dealership and on your VIN history you are just going to hard pressed to get covered?
In your case I see IMHO and based on many situations with customers over the years with out of warranty problem unless there is a recall and you VIN is include you are going to have an up hill challenge to get MAZDA to cover your engine!
I am just saying it as it is. But if you want the false hope stay tuned, I am sure there will be a member that will give you support and blow smoke up ur ,.... that you can get it covered.

By all means you should at least start a case directly with MAZDA USA and do this ASAP . Don't wait to have a dealership do this for you.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is really more a legal question, and you really should seek out professional advice. The only thing I can tell you is that Warrantees have a set time and or mileage for a reason. So technically speaking unless you had these issues logged in a dealership and on your VIN history you are just going to hard pressed to get covered?
In your case I see IMHO and based on many situations with customers over the years with out of warranty problem unless there is a recall and you VIN is include you are going to have an up hill challenge to get MAZDA to cover your engine!
I am just saying it as it is. But if you want the false hope stay tuned, I am sure there will be a member that will give you support and blow smoke up ur ,.... that you can get it covered.

By all means you should at least start a case directly with MAZDA USA and do this ASAP . Don't wait to have a dealership do this for you.
thank you for your inputs

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket