Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 10:49 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Callisto what's your take on transmission flushing?
Only had it done on one vehicle I've owned, a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country, it worked great on that vehicle.
The rest of the vehicle was a piece of crap and thus my only foray into Jeep.
Flushing of transmission gets a "BAD RAP" on forums and by many "mechanics that did not understand nor do the procedure properly and with the equipment design specifically for that service. The worst are the DIY with there primitive homemade parts that they think resembles a transmission service equipment for transmission fluid recement. The key word is fluid replacement and not really flushing, there is nothing that can be harmed from replacing the complete transmission fluid using the proper equipment. You can go to websites from several companies that offered the equipment and see and learn why. The trouble happens when the pressures are not constant and there is a back flush episode with DIY trying to do a complete fluid service. And there is a problem that if the fluid is not first examined and all mechanical problems along with wear or worn internal parts mainly the clutches if not considered before a fluid service is done is wear the BIG problem are created and generally it ends with the transmission failing. The transmission fluid service completely replaces the fluid in all areas of the transmission and part of the way the Transmission service equipment does this is using constant fluid pressure. The fluid leaving the transmission is collected and new fluid is replaced simultaneously. The service equipment we use allows to watch the fluid as it is collected so you can see the color and clarity change as the service is done. The replacement of the complete fluid is NOT a fix for any condition already existing which is also another misconception, and it is simply to replace the fluid that has been used for years of service and naturally becomes dirty even in the best of Pan filter and fluid service at 25k intervals. The best time to do a full transmission fluid service is at 100k miles. I stress again that a routine pan, and filter service should be done at 25k intervals.

Here is the thing and constant observation I see on many forums. There are some owners that are competent DIY for basic service like minor elections tune-ups, engine oil and filter services, filter services and easy stuff but when it comes to the transmission pan service and filter service, they all miss a BIG observation when they drop the pan. Aside from myself I have yet to see on any platform forum that the *valve body was wiped with a clean white paper towel. If more DIY as well mechanic did this, you would have a CLUE how much buildup start to form even if the transmission oil looks clean and clear. That varnish is what causes servos and other operating vales to eventually start to stick. This generally is seen with transmission in excess of 100k miles having never been serviced. If the varnish becomes too widespread even a full fluid service with the cleaners added during the fluid replacement cannot remove all of that varnish.

POST # 299

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 30 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

The 2 top reasons and causes automatic transmission fail is the torque converts and the valve body with sticking servos. The 3rd is transmission heat. Thats another subject and even the auto manufactures seldom actively seem to be concerned and design (I did not say engineer) engines and transmission around achieving the lowest emission and highest MPG sacrificing the longevity of automatic transmissions service life.
Oil analysis done at least one time at 50k miles and then again at 100k miles can tell a lot about what is going on in the transmission. A sample can easily be drawn through the dipstick hole with a small diameter hose. A turkey baster or clear aquarium hose are both great ways to pull a sample.

Transmission | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

POST #238

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 24 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Last edited by Callisto; 10-09-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Default Exact same issue

Originally Posted by PJR2021
Hello,
I have a 2018 GT 2.5 with 13,850 miles on it and the exact same thing happened to mine, the dealership told me that one of the cylinders was leaking and that the engine would have to be replaced, they ordered one from Japan and told me that it would take a month for it to deliver to the dealership, this happened on 1/26/21 so I am driving a loaner at the moment.
Unfortunately my Mazda CX-5 2018 which had 25000 miles had the same issue today and the service center informed me they will replace head cylinder assembly and gaskets to fix this issue. Is this acceptable??

Old 10-21-2022, 04:41 PM
Default Warranty.

Mazda has a 36k mile warranty so the warranty should cover it and if it's repaired at a Mazda shop they should give you a loaner

Old 10-22-2022, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by officerstyles
Mazda has a 36k mile warranty so the warranty should cover it and if it's repaired at a Mazda shop they should give you a loaner
Yes, they are covering under the warranty and they provided the CX5 2022 as loaner.

What happens if the issue persists after 36k, mazda warranty doesn’t cover it right? In this case is it better to have extended warranty?

Thanks..

Old 10-22-2022, 08:11 AM
Default Lemon

Originally Posted by Antonella Tizz
on 9/29 I arrived at work and smelled something burning and what appeared to be some smoke coming from my hood. I inspected it and could see nothing wrong. It rained on the way home so I couldn’t tell if there was smoke. But I could still smell the awful smell. The next morning I called mazda and told them I didn’t have an appointment but something was burning they told me to bring it in. On the highway about 2 miles away from dealer I could see smoke and then my oil light came on. My 1st instinct was that mazda never did my oil change as I just had one done not to long ago. I pulled into a pep boys because I was scared to drive it. And it wasn’t even open yet. Once they opened I asked if they could take a look. They put it on the lift and he called me and the whole car was covered in oil. He said he didn’t want to touch it because my mazda was new, leased and just at 30,000 miles. He recommended I get it towed the rest of the way to mazda as I did. After trying to call and follow up for 3 weeks they told me I blew a head gasket and the cylinders are all messed up. I would need a whole engine rebuild... covered under warranty. It took about a month to fix. I picked up my car and drove it home ... it’s about 8 minutes from my house. And again I could smell that horrible burning smell. I called mazda and they said that’s not good bring it back. I asked is it safe to drive they said yea. So they popped the hood and they said there seems to be some oil on engine. They took the car in the back and claim to have sprayed the filters and said there was some oil they couldn’t remove from the Exhaust pipes. They said it would go away. This was on 10/26... it’s now 11/1 and there still a horrible smell. I don’t feel comfortable having kids in the car because of it. .... mazda lost me as a customer my car goes back 12/2021. I will not be a returning customer.
By law you have to give Mazda a chance to fix the issue. If the issue persists after a few attempts to fix you can hire a lemon law atty and they can go after Mazda. I had to do this when first got my car. I had to give the atty all of my service records regarding my smart city brake support system failure (I had 6) and Mazda settled for $2500 and gave me an extended 100k mile warranty so total 136k mile warranty and they replaced the scbs (which is what I've asked them to do in the first place) a faulty transmission is maybe considered a afety issue. You have to give Mazda a chance to fix the issue no matter how frustrating it may be. Keep all your service records and photos of the warning lights that show up on your dash. Record record record ( for evidence)

Old 10-22-2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cx5mazda2018
Yes, they are covering under the warranty and they provided the CX5 2022 as loaner.

What happens if the issue persists after 36k, mazda warranty doesn’t cover it right? In this case is it better to have extended warranty?

Thanks..
Extended warranty is not a bad idea in this case. We got a 6-year warranty in 2018 when we purchased our CX-5. The warranty will expire in January 2024. My main concern is that due to Covid, we did not drive much and the car is still below 30K miles, so by Murphy's law, the head gasket might blow after the extended warranty expires

Old 10-22-2022, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Extended warranty is not a bad idea in this case. We got a 6-year warranty in 2018 when we purchased our CX-5. The warranty will expire in January 2024. My main concern is that due to Covid, we did not drive much and the car is still below 30K miles, so by Murphy's law, the head gasket might blow after the extended warranty expires
Agreed on both statements regarding extended warranty.

Yeah, it might happen but I wish you all the luck to not have this problem. It’s frustrating!!!

Old 10-24-2022, 04:57 AM

Just discovered I have this problem with our 2018. It has 51,000 miles. Started smelling the burning last week. Saw smoke yesterday and verified oil all over the back of the motor. Yippee🙄. Very lucky that my wife changed jobs last year and now works from home. If she didn't our mileage would be way above 60,000 and then it would be a battle to get it covered.
They can't look at it until the 28th. I'll update when I hear a decision.

Last edited by 92gli; 10-24-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:12 AM

There's no reference to CD in my owners manual or window sticker for my '18 grand touring. Also do not have the interactive display that shows it doing it's thing.
Anyone know why that might be?

Old 10-25-2022, 02:06 PM

No warning lights or codes? Really???

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket