Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ds235687129
No warning lights or codes? Really???
Not unless you ignore the smell and smoke for so long that the engine overheats or the oil gets extremely low

Old 10-28-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 92gli
There's no reference to CD in my owners manual or window sticker for my '18 grand touring. Also do not have the interactive display that shows it doing it's thing.
Anyone know why that might be?
Yes, the only reference to CD I saw was on the Mazda website when we bought the car. There is no interactive display. Some report noticing it kicking in, I am not 100% sure I notice anything. One thing though I notice that it has very good MPG in mixed city/highway driving, very impressed by that. On the other hand, I am on the edge that this issue will happen after my extended warranty expires and I will have to deal with it.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:28 PM

Mine is confirmed. They hope to have parts by next Wednesday. Picking up a loaner tomorrow.
Service advisor said they've done at least a dozen so far.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Yes, the only reference to CD I saw was on the Mazda website when we bought the car. There is no interactive display. Some report noticing it kicking in, I am not 100% sure I notice anything. One thing though I notice that it has very good MPG in mixed city/highway driving, very impressed by that. On the other hand, I am on the edge that this issue will happen after my extended warranty expires and I will have to deal with it.
Ideally Mazda should be covering this even without extended warranty since this is clearly defect from Mazda isn’t it??

Anyone has experienced this problem without extended warranty and did mazda covered this issue from their end?

Old 11-11-2022, 06:20 PM

2 weeks. No call from the dealer. The '22 turbo loaner is nice so we don't really care.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:53 PM

Got ours back today. 17 days at the dealer. Engine cleaned up, shiny new head. Running fine.
Service advisor said even though replacing the oil is part of the procedure, Mazda doesn't pay for a filter. So we paid $10 for a filter. Whatever. The dealer was great about everything along the way.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Default Same here

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.
It just happened to me, bought a used 2018 Mazda CX-5 touring , I changed the oil every 3000 and maintenance on it, at 60,500 miles my engine blew a cylinder. It started smelling like burnt rubber from running the a.c on, notice it losing power while accelerating. I might be a defective year of model make.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by gomez317
It just happened to me, bought a used 2018 Mazda CX-5 touring , I changed the oil every 3000 and maintenance on it, at 60,500 miles my engine blew a cylinder. It started smelling like burnt rubber from running the a.c on, notice it losing power while accelerating. I might be a defective year of model make.
Take it to a dealer immediately. They may cover it for you as a good will repair. This is a widespread defect.

Old 02-16-2023, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Ok, then the part about out-of-warranty coverage does not apply to your case, and it's unknown what would have happened if you did not have that. Time will tell how well Mazda supports this leaking head problem (and the CD issues) with extended, out-of-warranty coverage.

And I understand that you're upset about the leaking head - I would be as well. I don't think you'll have any success in getting an engine instead of the head replacement, but perhaps you can persuade them to do it. If not, hopefully they'll do good work and you'll get many more miles from your vehicle.
Mine just started leaking at 87k miles. since i got it as a used car from a dealer and not a “loyal mazda customer” they pretty much said they arent going to do **** for me. Leaking from the same spot as others are and mine applies to the tsb (2.5l with cylinder deactivation )

Old 02-16-2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by btyler94
Mine just started leaking at 87k miles. since i got it as a used car from a dealer and not a “loyal mazda customer” they pretty much said they arent going to do **** for me. Leaking from the same spot as others are and mine applies to the tsb (2.5l with cylinder deactivation )
Welcome to the forum

There are a few things...
You can see if the oil use problem was documented with the VIN of your Mazda while it was still under the warranty period. If so you may be able to get your dealership or contact Mazda directly and see about reviewing your problem.

The service as per the service advisory is not that labor intense and may only cast 2-300 dollars?(estimate may vary from state to state depending on labor hourly rate)

Aside for that used cars not purchased from a Mazda dealership and if any warranty has expired or voided for some reason noted and outlined in the warranty auto manufactures are not really obligated to repair unless it falls under a SAFETY RECALL unresolved and should not be frown on because they won't fix it.

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket