Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

road-related annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: road-related annoyances

Every time that happens to me I want to ask the driver, "Did you not see the THREE signs stating that the left lane was closed? Can you not comprehend English? Or do you just have trouble distinguishingyour leftfrom your right?
What makes your time more valuable than anyone else"s in line here and unless you personally know every other driver in line, how would you know that?"

Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Yes...YES! Glad to see so many of you releasing your frustration! hehehe.

As for waiting until someone has actually turned until I pull out onto the road--generally guilty--I don't trust other drivers.

As for not pulling out in the intersection for my left turn when I have a yield-green--99% of the time guilty. It causes problems when people do that when traffic's too thick. They never get to turn before the light goes red--and then they can't back up behind the line again--and then they're partially blocking the intersection. I'll go if I can go--but I'm quick on the pedal, unlike so many others out there.

As for zooming ahead of the line to wedge myself in when they've closed a lane--well, sometimes I'm guilty, sometimes I'm not. Generally I'm only guilty of that if I'm racing the clock and being inconsiderate, or if in a short distance situation, signs haven't warned me, and I couldn't move over ahead of time without changing lanes right into another vehicle or few.

What I dislike is when I'm forced into waiting to wedge in, and almost nary a driver wants to be nice enough to let me in.

It took me awhile to decide on a personal rule for letting people in, be it in a bottleneck, or someone coming out of a parking lot, or whatever. Generally if I'm in a long line of cars that's still moving, and there's a few people that want to get in, I'll let one of them in to assist in traffic flow without further hindering it much. I'll only let a string of them in if we're all sitting still.

Last edited by MazdaTechie; 01-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 AM

The funny thing about not pulling out into the intersections as long as you were in the intersection before the light turned red you have full control of the intersection until you leave.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Siber Express
The funny thing about not pulling out into the intersections as long as you were in the intersection before the light turned red you have full control of the intersection until you leave.

As I was taught growing up and learning how to drive in Pa., it is everyone's responsibility to avoid an accident. NEVER assume the right of way.
That's the rules I had to live by.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM

My only thing is, I sat behind a lady for 4 or 5 light cycles, she would not move up, there was no green arrow and a constant flow of traffic from the time the light turned green until the light turned red. So unless you did not take it into your own hands by moving into the intersection you were going to sit for hours waiting for a break in traffic.
I finally pulled out from behind her and went up and turned around and made a right, she was still there when I did and it was probably 2 light cycles later.
There are times when being overly cautious can cause more wrecks than the alternative.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Her actions, although heavily impeding traffic, would not have likely caused a wreck. I might have made an exception if I were at such a light. Around here (Denton, TX), eventually you'll get a green arrow if you're having to deal with a yield green, or you get a light that only allows you to turn when you get a green arrow (no yield green present). And the latter is slowly fading away. The only exceptions to the above are on smaller streets that aren't nearly as busy.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Speaking of impeding traffic--people that not only go below the speed limit, but do so to the extreme--on a road with one lane each way, and no legal chance to pass. i.e., the speed limit on said road is say...55 (rural highway). They're going maybe 40. Nobody in front of them. *grinds teeth*

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Another that gets me is some that you pass, passes someone else that you passed already and they come back and get in front of you and slow back down, all this while your speed has not changed due to fact you are using the cruise control.