General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CD Playback Problem - iPod Adapter Related?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Default CD Playback Problem - iPod Adapter Related?

My 6 has the Bose Audio package with the in-dash 6 disc changer. I had my dealer install the Mazda iPod Adapter.

I have a strange playback problem. During playback I lose all sound for exactly 9 seconds. Playback counter continues to advance, and sound comes back after the nine seconds. Additionally, the sound loss is always at a 9 second mark, i.e. 1:59, or 2:39, or 3:09, never something like 2:24 or 3:15. Also, it will always be for the same tracks for a particular CD, but different tracks for different CDs, i.e. for CD A it will always be track 2 at 1:59, track 5 at 2:29, and track 9 for 1:19, but for CD B it will always be track 1 at 1:19 and track 3 at 3:09 and track 7 at 2:29, etc. I've tried all the CDs in other players with no problem, and I've had no issues with my iPod. My iPod firmware is up to date.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the iPod Adapter since I didn't have this problem prior to installation. I haven't taken this to the dealer yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: CD Playback Problem - iPod Adapter Related?

Dealer believesthe CD changer failed and the problem was unrelated to the iPod adapter. Dealer has special ordered a replacement. No special codes on the work order. It will be covered under warranty. I will have to make another trip to the dealer though.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Default Update - iPod Adapter Hinders CD Playback

New CD changer arrived last week. I took it in to the dealer this morning and they replaced it. However, as I was driving home this afternoon, same problem. I'm convinced the problem is related to the iPod adapter; however, I don't know if it's related to faulty firmware, hardware, or installation.

Dealer is to call Mazda tomorrow and determine next steps. IPod playback seems uneffected.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Default RE: Update - iPod Adapter Hinders CD Playback

Well, the claim from Mazda was that the dealer installed the wrong wiring harness originally. Dealer responded that original instructions to install the iPod adapter specified the wrong harness, and that the updated installation instructions were distributed after my adapter was installed (the perils of being an early adopter).

So, new harness finally arrived, had it installed, and same problem (I just picked the car up today and will notify the dealer tomorrow).

So, I've had the cd changer replaced, and the wiring harness for the adapter replaced, and the problem persists. I suppose the adapter itself is somehow defective (though my iPod plays as expected), but I think at this point I'm going to ask for the adapter to be uninstalled (and hope this solves the cd playback problem) and ask for my money back.

From work order:
TL Ref#531882 Wrong Wire Harness
T1102XRX Replaced I-Pod Intergation [sic] Unit as per Tech Line
1 C9F1-V-6-572 IPOD INTEG MOD
FC: B3/AB
PART#: C9F1V6572
Claim Type: A

Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Did you have the Genuine Mazda Accessory Ipod adapter installed? If so, I'm not sure why, because the Mazda Ipod adapter is not compatible with the 04 05 Mazda 6 with the Bose system, only 06 and up.
http://www.mazdaipodadapter.ca/Click on the fitment guide.
However this is for the Canadian models (made in the US), so I'm not sure if there's a difference.
Check with your dealer on the applications of the Ipod adapter.
Reading your story, it sounds kinda odd that you're having issues with the cd functions but not with your Ipod. Hope this helps though.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM

I did indeed have the Genuine Mazda adapter installed, on the recommendation of my dealer. Nothing in the documentation they provided to me mentioned incompatibilities except for Apple hardware and firmware, and nothing on the Mazda USA website mentions incompatibilities. Of course, it wasn't listed as an accessory option for my vehicle, which is why I wasn't aware of it until my dealer mentioned it to me (in the context of my asking if an after-market iPod adapter would void my warranty).

In fact, when I called the dealer this afternoon to relay your information, they were surprised and asked me to send them the weblink you posted. They are supposed to call the Mazda tech people tomorrow and get back with me.

And yeah, it is odd that my only issue is CD playback, not iPod functionality, but the playback problems were unaffected by swapping out the cd-changer.

Thanks for your information, it was very helpful, and it will probably allow me to at least get my money back. And since I'm right at the point of tire and brake pad replacement,maybe I can geta break there as well. I'll post a further update.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 PM

After pulling the center stack out one more time (to "verify part numbers"), Mazda admitted that the adapter was incompatible with my Mazda CD changer, and instructed the dealer to uninstall it and refund my money. That was done; however, after doing that, there was massive buzzing and rattling from the center stack (previous to this, nothing). I had to take the car back to have them attempt to remedy the situation. The dealer made significant improvement, but there is still somerattling from the center stack (where again, there had never been anything). That's 6 trips to the dealer in total so far. I have no confidence that if I go back, they can track down and solve the remaining rattle. At this point, I figure every time I take it back and they pull the center stack apart, everything will just get looser. Is that a reasonable assumption, or should I give them one more try? (Oh, CD playback is now operating per spec).