Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

a few annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Default a few annoyances

Im a new RX-7 owner, and i LOVE my car...everything so far has gone AWSOME! except a few little annoying things, such as...when im driving, about every 10 mins or so my car starts beeping, it seems like some kind of warning or somethin, my gauge cluster doesnt work, so i figure it might be telling me i have no gas lol...also when im shifting into 3rd gear i get a grinding in my shifter, it only happens if im haulin down the road...one more thing, my shifter gets extremely hot when i drive, i figured i might have needed some trany fluid...nope, my second guess was meaby my exhaust could be heating it up but it doesnt seem like its close enough...im am yet to solve any of my annoying probloms, so if anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appriciated!

Peace

Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: a few annoyances

OMG newb

The beep, or buzz, is actually the over-rev buzzer. Its a cool little thing that happens when you get close to redline.

The tranny is grinding and overheating.

The exhaust would only heat up the passenger footwell, and only if you had a header.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:24 AM

Actually, if he is a FC owner, the buzz could also be caused by the coolant being low. The broken gauge wouldn't display the error.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 PM

well, i know its not the redline buzz...casue my gauge doesnt work, so that doesnt work anymoer...it actually beeps no matter what my revs are at, it seems liek it comes on when i break liek 60 km, also i just dida comlete fluid change...everyything is good to go....if anyone else has any ideas help is always good,

thanx...peace

Old 06-01-2006, 03:17 AM

thanx for the confedence booster tranquil, im not a total idiot, i checked everything u made in your stupid remark befor u said it...i think the beeping may be bacasue my steering wheel isnt lined up or some ****, there 5 beeps then a pause, but i dont understand the code...and the grinding, when i let the reves go down a bit it doesnt grind, it almost seems liek u have to let it slide into place, kinda like it finds its own way in...its trippy

Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Found this excerpt in the pinned post about FAQ's isl_cruiser.

I keep hearing a beep beep beep
Probably the power steering computer telling you there is a problem with the system. The number of beeps before pausing will indicate the problem.
1-beep, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of speed sensor signal:
In case broken wires or short circuits occur to sensors or harnesses, the buzzer sounds 60-seconds after the engine speed signal of 2200 rpm continues for 18-seconds.
2-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of engine speed signal:
The buzzer sounds twice and repeats when the vehicle speed signal is missing input and/or no engine speed signal is found (short circuit, broken wire, etc.)
3-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of stepping motor signal:
The buzzer sounds when there are broken wires or short circuits in coils or harnesses.
4-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of the power steering microcomputer:
The buzzer sounds 4 and repeats when there are circuit troubles other than with the micro computer.
5-beeps, pause, repeat - in case abnormality of steering sensor signal: Steering sensor is mis-aligned or failed or steering wheel has been improperly installed.

Have never run accross this myself nor could I locate any reference to it in the factory shop manuals. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel or is it not centered? Maybe something to that anyway. Wonner could be right too if the coolant is slightly low in the top of the radiator. There should be an air bleed screw on the radiator next to where the upper hose connects. If you loosen it slightly and only coolant comes out then level is ok but sensor may be at fault. The level sensor is in the center of the radiator top tank. Not positive but I think disconnecting and jumpering to ground will bypass the sensor and maybe rule that out.
Trans grind into 3rd could very well be worn synchros. 2 and 3 always get hammered the hardest as people tend to shift faster and harder when taking off from stop and accelerating. If you have not already changed the trans oil then drain into a clean container and swirl oil around with a screwdriver looking for shiny metallic particles in the oil. If they are there then is prob a synchro issue. The shifters on 7's often get fairly warm. Make sure all of the exhaust heat shields are in place as converters get very very hot and the main CAT is right below the shifter area. Might also take a peek under the car after a good drive in the dark and make sure the main or pre-cats are not overheating and glowing a bit.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Found this excerpt in the pinned post about FAQ's isl_cruiser.
I knew that would help out someone

Old 06-04-2006, 06:47 AM

i heard from many people that the beepings from my steeriung wheel not aligned, yes i have an after market steering wheel...i didnt put it on so i dont know how it could be off center, casue wouldnt the bolts line up?