Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

road-related annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Default road-related annoyances

The two that are on my mind right now are the two I will post.

First offthe people that can't seem to keep their vehicle in ONE parking space when it's possible to do so. When it's not possible (such as if you're driving a Winnebago or a school bus), that's fine. Do your best. But when it's completely possible, you're either inept, or an *******. For some reason, I tend to categorize the cars I see parked over the line as driven by inept drivers, and the big dualie pickups parked over the line as driven by ********. The dualies **** me off the worst. Especially when you can tell they did it on purpose. Perfect example: One night I stop by a local Blockbuster video store to return my rental. The first thing I notice is a huge Dodge flatbed dual-axle pickup that's parked as close to a 45 degree angle as he can get in two parking spaces. He's got two big dogs on the back. It's almost as if he was projecting a message of, "I drive a big truck and I'm a badass, so I get to be a bastard and you can't do anything about it." I was already having a nicotine fit, already got stuck behind grandma drivers, and that about topped it off. I had thoughts of slaughtering his dogs, but of course they stopped at thoughts. For people like him, a due response would be something like this:

http://www.prankplace.com/parking.htm?KBID=2274

The other onewhat the hell makes ANYONE think it's okay AT ALL to go driving down the road (highway or city) with not just any, but plenty of traffic in front of them, with their Hi-Beams on?!?!?!?!?! And it's not my misunderstanding of hi-beams vs. intense lo-beams. I suspend judgment anymore if I can't tell for sure. But there's cars that I can definitely tellparticularly any model where you have separate lamps for hi and lo. Like newer Mazdas for example. It doesn't blind me anymore since I've got 5% tint on my back window, but it's still irritating. They're blinding everyone else, and they're persistent about it! Many times I'll see a person like this where it's easy to tell, and I'll fall back just to get behind them, close in, and turn on my brights, flash them rapidly, or both, and they'll STILL leave their brights on, when there's STILL lots of traffic in front of them! The only non-bastardly exception I see to this very bastardly deed is if you're driving something old enough with old enough, hazed over headlights where even the highbeams are barely adequate to light up the road. In that case most anyone else's lo-beams are brighter.

I swear I even catch people who do it when they bring their Mazda in for service. When I go to check the headlights, their fricking brights are on! Perhaps they bumped the switch at some point during the day. But I don't think that applies to everyone. I always make sure to turn them off, and I hope anyone doing it on purpose gets pulled over and ticketed. If it's an honest mistake, fine. I don't wish that on you. But if it's not, then no mercy.

Input, anyone?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: road-related annoyances

Yup.You"re not alone.
I just had a high-beamer follow me part of my way to work yesterday morning. In spite of other driver"s coming toward us both, they refused to lower them or were completely unaware that they had their beams on.

As for parking, here in the greater Austin area, I have to wonder who decided that all cars are subcompacts and designed the parking spaces with that in mind. It"s gotten a little better since I first moved here, but some of the older PL spaces are so tight even my Mazda would have trouble fitting in.
Not quite the issue you were addressing, but I see those types too.

For me, I think it"s just that people are so into themselves and their own little cyber worlds these days that they are just oblivious to others around them. I see this in other more personal situations as well. The kind of people that will walk right into you because they don"t look where they are going. Then not only do they not apologize for theor actions, but they look at you like it was all your fault in the first place. Same thing on the streets.
Being inconsiderate to others has become a way of life, the exact opposite of the way I was brought up to think.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 AM
VB

I live and drive in NYC...take that parking complaint and magnify it about tenfold.

If you can't parallel park here, YOU RUIN THE WHOLE DAMN STREET WITH YOUR STUPID CAR STICKING OUT. The streets are often too tight for two cars to pass each other while the parking spots are filled correctly. When someone parks as if they're high, somebody's gotta stop so the other person can go first. GOD is that annoying.

High beam ********? Oh yeah, and they all drive ******* cars: Benzes, Beemers, Acuras, Altimas/Maximas, and of course Civics. If I drove a POS, I'd just let them hit my bumper so I could break their damn lights.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 AM

1) People driving 5-10 MPH slower than the speed limit in the fast lane, which puts them 15-20 mph slower than the flow of traffic.

2) People that refuse to pull out into the intersection when turning left on a green light, so even when the light does turn yellow they won"t go and you end up setting there for 2 or 3 lights before you can make a left.

3) People that think they cannot turn left on a green light after the green arrow is gone (no red light, it says to yield to oncoming traffic on green).

4) People that pass you after you pass them and then slow back down to the speed they were going before.

5) People that will stop for a funeral procession going the opposite way on a major 4 lane road, but the ambulance that tried to get by 2 minutes before going the same way as them was ignored.

6) People that refuse to acknowledge the little lever on the left side of their steering column for anything but being a light switch or windshield wiper switch.

7) People that have a handicapped plate on their car, that obviously is not for them and still uses it.

8) The high beam thing, enough said

9) People that will not pull out in front of traffic on to a major road, even though said traffic has their turn signal on and is obviously slowing down.

10) People that don"t have lights on their trailers and tow them at night.

There is my top 10 off the top of my head, for the parking thing, I normally park in a different zip code, so that doesn"t bother me to much.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

That"s a good list, Ken.
For my list I would update #1to include big trucks in BOTH lanes slowing everybody else down, and often spewing crushed stone all over the front of you car too.
And your #6 is a favorite of mine too. I use my signals in parking lots, for goodness sake.I use them when there is nobody else around to see them!! When you start being selective about signaling, that"s when you start to get sloppy and forget to use them when you should.
I have to admit to being one of the cautious ones for your #9. I have seen too many people do that, then change their mind at the last minute. I will pull out only when I am as sure as I can be that they are actually going to make the turn. Just the way I was taught.
But sadly, it just goes to show that we give driver"s licenses away way to easily in this country and the police do not enforce the "safety" laws that they should.
As I"ve said before, if you don"t come to a complete stop for a stop sign, or are going (+/-) +10mph over the posted limit, expect to get pulled over around here. But it seems that anything else goes.

Now see what you started, MT?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Oh ya, the drag racing Semi"s, the one in the left lane is going 1 MPH faster than the right lane, but governors on big trucks is a different topic
I had to go back and fix the Stupid Apostrophes, and then I missed one and to fix it also

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

1) People driving 5-10 MPH slower than the speed limit in the fast lane, which puts them 15-20 mph slower than the flow of traffic.

2) People that refuse to pull out into the intersection when turning left on a green light, so even when the light does turn yellow they won"t go and you end up setting there for 2 or 3 lights before you can make a left.

3) People that think they cannot turn left on a green light after the green arrow is gone (no red light, it says to yield to oncoming traffic on green).

4) People that pass you after you pass them and then slow back down to the speed they were going before.

5) People that will stop for a funeral procession going the opposite way on a major 4 lane road, but the ambulance that tried to get by 2 minutes before going the same way as them was ignored.

6) People that refuse to acknowledge the little lever on the left side of their steering column for anything but being a light switch or windshield wiper switch.

7) People that have a handicapped plate on their car, that obviously is not for them and still uses it.

8) The high beam thing, enough said

9) People that will not pull out in front of traffic on to a major road, even though said traffic has their turn signal on and is obviously slowing down.

10) People that don"t have lights on their trailers and tow them at night.

There is my top 10 off the top of my head, for the parking thing, I normally park in a different zip code, so that doesn"t bother me to much.
#1 is the biggest. okay here is mine
1. People who go 70-90 on a 100km/hr 401 in the FAST LANE!
2. Police Officers who think they are the **** and go as fast as they want and dont care if they are going 160.
3. Asian's (i apologize but anyone who has almost hit me was an asian especially in toronto)
4. Rice Burner's they are everywhere in canada. thinking their honda civic Is AMAZING same with your cavaliers.
5. HONDA CIVIC DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!! need i say more.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a new one.....
11) Line jumpers and the morons that let them in.

You"re driving down the road when all of a sudden you see atypical orange highway sign, "Left Lane ClosedAhead." You drive a little further andsee another stating the same thing. A little further and yet another. So you pull into the right lane, if you haven"t already, and reach the end of the line.
Now some MORON who thinks his time is more valuable than yours,pulls up along sidein the left lane, pacing the traffic, puts his signal on and waits for some other MORON to let him in. Orworse, forces his way in.
Invariably someone does while the fifty other people waiting behind have to wait for another vehicle to get in line.
And over and over, and so on, and so on.

Does this **** you off too? I"d be surprised if it didn"t.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

i had a transport truck do that to me. i realize your in a big truck but you can see the sign that says lane closed 500 meters

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Actually I think that should have in my Top 10 Richard.

Another that I have seen, Discrimination by the police, Pulling someone over in the right lane going 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit for an Equipment violation while they are getting passed by people going 20+ over in the left lane. Now how might I know this, in Mississippi I was pulled over in a 55 zone going 57 at night in a Semi, 1 of 2 tail lights on the same side was out on the passenger side ( which I knew about but had not reached a truck stop yet to buy a new one) and as I was getting the Riot act for a missing tail light I was watching the cars going by doing 75 MPH +.
California, I was stopped doing 65 in a 55 zone while getting passed by a Toyota Truck pulling a boat, while the signs in California state say "Cars pulling trailers and trucks 55 MPH", Simple Discrimination both times because I was in a truck, and being it was an out of state truck made it that much better. [:@]

Quick Reply: road-related annoyances