Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

Just as I thought. I phoned the auto body shop and they haven't received any go ahead from the head office. Now i have left a message with my local dealer to get things straightened out between the head office and my local auto body shop. I hate this middleman, miscommunication crap!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Swung by the auto body shop today and I did receive confirmation to go ahead.
I am one of the lucky ones!
Thanks, Diamond Kote! Diamond-Kote Automobile Rust Protection
There product does not run, it's like a kind of wax or something.
I Think the problem with mine is where the 2 panels come together and crap from tires get at it and penetrate the seal.

Repair might happen next week.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Just got off the phone with the body shop.
Bringing it in on Monday. It will be in for 2-3 days.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

I will be getting my car back in an hour, then i have to drive my sister to Toronto.
Post pics later.
He said the reason why it rusts is because Mazda puts caulking there in an attempt to keep the moisture out, but it is in an exposed area and eventually the caulking fails, letting moisture in. The caulking prevents the rust proofing from pentrating in and doing it's job. There may not have been enough caulking.
I also had them remove caulking, do a minor repair on other side, and repaint that as well for an extra charge out of my pocket, as he only quoted the 1 side and the one side was covered from rust plan.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 07-07-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: other side
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

PICS AS PROMISED.
Got pieces of Rust that came off as well as repaired pics:

In a few weeks i'll get it rust proof sprayed!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Banned

Gonna get it rust proof sprayed tomorrow. I removed some stuff out from the back and the floor at the back as well so he has access to area from inside as well as doing some inside stuff. Finally less humid and no rain so good time to get it done.
Took it out for a Zoom Zoom run today. It was hauling *** as the car was lighter. Wanted to make sure all crevices are dry before getting sprayed.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 AM

I own a 2005 model 6 and one of my rear arches is badly blistered and the other side is starting to show rust. I am in the uk and every winter they use salt on our roads so it does not take long for rust to show up on the cars over here. Every other make seems to last around 10-12 yrs before they start rusting BUT there is any amount of mazda cars running around with rust all over them. Its a shame they didn't do the job right in the building process because they are a good car other than the rust problems.

My car is nice and clean apart from the wheel arches so its getting booked in at the body shop next month so the arches can be sorted out. I am the second owner of the car so not sure what warranty mazda give with the body work because if it was 6yrs it might just still be covered. Either way its getting done because i plan to keep the car for 2yrs so i want it to stop nice.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

Took out rear floor and other stuff to make sure he had good access for rust proofing. With the car lighter, the rear suspension lifted a 1/2". Back in Jan/Feb i had my front susp lowered. The combination meant re-aiming headlights as I am going tomorrow to see drag racing with lots of night driving on back country roads (paved though). The stuff also smells so i have a fan plugged in the car. Will put stuff back in mid next week.

Stopped off @ Shop and saw a 2006 Mazdaspeed in shop getting lowering springs. It had rust on both sides, same spot as mine!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM

I recently had contact with UseYourNoggin and he says rust is back in 2016 (3 years). Both sides and 1 side has wavy lip. Body shop won't do anything. Rust protection company won't do anything unless there is a hole. He got it rust sprayed last year (every year) and has another appointment for rust spraying shortly. He doesn't do much driving and has only 83,000 km now.

I personally think that Mazda has to improve factory rust protection. When I replaced my wife's car - a rusted out Ford Contour - I did not even consider Mazda. When I replaced my son's '98 Protege (rust of course, but at that age I was o.k. with it) last year I did consider an '02 Protege but walked away because of the rust.
Too bad. They are great cars otherwise.

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-28-2016 at 03:01 PM.