Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

wheel corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Default wheel corrosion

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Hi all,
Is it our British weather, or has anyone had corrosion problems on the stock 17 inch 5 spoke alloys? My 2.0 sport(2004) has worm lines burrowing under the wheel paint mostly near the hubs. Off to the dealer soon to negotiate replacements under warranty, I hope it comes under 'body corrosion' it is clear it is not kerb damage, as the paint is not broken.

ps. anyone got a Union Jack smiley that could go on the posts for us Brits to wave ??

Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Default RE: wheel corrosion

They salt the roads heavily here in Michigan and I see the same thing on my wifes Mazda6 wheels. I'm out of warranty so I'm not worrying about it.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM

I know this has popped up on the mazda3forums as well. Some people have fought it, others have lost the battle. Its worth checking out. The worst they can say is no, and then you can buy some aftermarket ones, and use the stockers for winters!

Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
mgw

Hi,

Yes - My 2005 Mazda 3 Sport has same problem on the stock 17 inch 5 spoke alloys! Not sure what to do about it yet. More concerned about finding uneven tyre wear on the rear tyres after 25K miles - I knew the fronts were approaching replacement but was not ready to find £500

Martin

Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 AM

Hi Martin, another Brit on this forum !

My warranty runs out in August, I will soon be "encouraging" my dealer to sort the wheels out. My other half has a Lexus, the wheels corrode on that model too (same maker I think) and Lexus GB replace under warranty.
Following an argument with an uninterested Mazda over my stock Potenza tyres, I am not expectingthem to be interested in this either.....soon find out!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Hi all i live in the south east of England and i have a 2005 2.0sport and i have just had a brandnew set of 17"wheels fitted by mazda due to corrosion if you have no joy with your dealer go direct to mazda head office and complain they cant have one rule for some and a different rule for others.
Hope this helps

Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
mgw

Thanks N19 ALE and alant,

Yes - UK land locked Midlands based - at only 20 months old and only 1 mild winter bit upset to find wheel corrosion. Spoke to dealers service manager today - they need to photo the wheels and then send to Masda UK for approval to do something about it. Booked in for next week - seems it's common enough for them to know the process. Didn't commit Masda to doing anything about it though.

Also getting a full 4 wheel geomtry check done - when they have thier machine working after I expressed my dis-satisfaction at rear tyres with wear on the inside edges 1.6mm, when the rest of the tyre has 5mm. The inner wear is in patches apparently. The rear tyres are causing serious road rumble.

See what they say on the 28th.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
mgw

Dealer photo's of corroded Alloys and sent to Mazda UK. They athorised replacement and I now have a set of new alloys.
On the worn rear tyres, this was only on the very inside edge and was in patches. Dealer claimed no the car/alignment - backed off a bit when I told his to claim against the tyre manufacturer then. Dealer checked the alighment, took 2+ hours, claimed it was in spec but adjusted it to be better! Then tried to claim Mazda did not warrent the alignment adjustment beyond 12months! After reminding them about UK consumer law they offered a 50% discount against replacement rear tyres.
I'll need to check again in 6 months.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Yep, checked with my dealer today, Mazda have agreed to replace the wheels, and they are on order.