Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Engine ticking gone from bad to worse...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Engine ticking gone from bad to worse...

ORIGINAL: thedfo

Can6drvr, I'm confused by what you mean "you had to put 5 jugs of oil in it." Does this mean you had to put that much oil in inbetween oil changes?

Also, you got stuck with the lemon, not us. We haven't had these issues. And by 'us' I mean the vast majority on this website who haven't gotten the car gods so mad they decided to go soddom and gamorah on us.
Yep, no less than five jugs between two oil changes ago and the last oil change...most cars do not require any or maybe one between oil changes.

I did not go Sodomy on everyone just the putz who got all upset with me. I disagree that that my car is simply a lemon..there is a fundamental issue with the crappy v6 engine. If it were a lemon then chances are that a brand new engine assembly would have fixed any and all engine concerns. This vehicle began to show the same symptoms of failure with its second engine as it did with the first one. This should make it obvious to anyone that the car is beyond lemon status and more of an overall design fault.

I've noticed that a lot of the peopleon here that have had v6engine seizures (and thereare a few)found out that it was not covered by the warranty and it cost them some serious $$$. I was veryfortunate that this was not the case for me. Geez could you imagine how muchit would have cost ifboth engine replacements weren't covered by the warranty?

Oh well I take back my advice to stay from Mazda as I was ONLY trying to help people from going through what i havehad to endure with my P.O.S.

All the best.

"Zoom zoom" [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Okay, first off: You can't simply say "the v6 engine must be bad because a lot of people seem to have engine sieze." Because almost no one posts "Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know my car has gone 150,000 miles with no major issues." So, postings are usually gonna be skewed towards issues.

I used the term sodomy in that the gods of cars where applying their most cruel methods on you and your car, not you spouting off at someone else.

I stand by my lemon for the reason that there are a few things these engines have in common: same mechanic (I think), same car/powertrain (again, I think), same car, and yes, same design.

Now, it could be you got stuck with three bad engines in a row. This seems a bit ridiculous, given the number of engines that aren't going bad.

It could be your mechanic decided he didn't like you or his company. This is only valid if no one else really looked at it.

It could be you're abusing the engine. This probably isn't the issue, because if it was, you wouldn't be here, complaining. Also, you claim to have regularly maintenanced the beast, further removing this from possibility.

So, what's left?
Bad design. Possible, but with the number of people still running around with stock 6 v6's, then this seems odd.
Issue with your car. Possible. I guess this loops back to your mechanics. They should have noticed something is up.

Now, with those possibilities out of the way, a question. Your car went through 5 quarts of oil in between oil changes. Your mechanic seemed like he didn't car. Two things should be learnt from this: Go somewhere else where a mechanic can tell the difference in oil consumption between a 4 and 2 stroke engine, and take more responsibility with your investment. You knew that 5 quarts is too much for a car to be consuming between oil changes. I mean, what exactly did the dealership say to get you thinking this wasn't an issue? If a mechanic tried to tell me that, I'd be looking for a new mechanic. Have them look at it. If they find something wrong, go talk to the dealership, so they don't try and void your warranty by blaiming your second opinion guy.

So, more or less, I don't think Mazda has major issues (like all car engines, some are going to break. It's really easy for that to happen with the amount of heat and pressure inside of it), I think your dealership has issues, and you bought into their explaination, because, well, they're the dealership.

Of course, this all could be moot because you really did get three bad engines in a row, in which case I apologize for a rambling post.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM

Valid points. Sorry for being rude I just hate when someone calls me ignorant but then proceeds to admit that they did not fully understand my situation in the post which I provided.

The one thing I should calrify is that there wasn't a "my mechanic" scenario. I leased the P.O.S. vehicledirectly froma Mazda dealer and all maintenance (except for the front barake change I did myself) was done by the dealerships' fleet of trained technicians. It was not a pokey digger with a greasy baseball cap. LOL!When you mentioned "my mechanic" that was the goofy image that popped into my mind.

So it was in fact Mazda service who's only reaction to my claims of having to to put in 5 jugs of oil was to initiate nothing more than an oil monitoring program. Then the engine proceeded to become yet another paperweight.

[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM

True, true, people making obvious errors because they didn't read can be annoying.

So, then you should have had trained mechanics, but I have trouble believing that a decent mechanic wasn't troubled by burning that much oil. Unless he thought the engine was leaking the oil, not burning it.

Can you mail that engine to me? Don't know about you, but I'm always looking for a paper weight heavy enough to hold down people.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Can you mail that engine to me? Don't know about you, but I'm always looking for a paper weight heavy enough to hold down people.
No can do..i decided to put them in to my living room as a form of full contact feng shui. The two engines represent piles of poop set there by free range elephants.

I'm all zen and a bag of chips! [sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Got a question for all with the ticking/knocking problems - does it occur at all speeds & gears? in all types of weather?

Mine is a 2007 6s with 20,700 miles.

Had the PGR tsb performed 2 weeks ago, and the engine still makes the ticking noise - but it occurs at about 1500/1600 rpm when the car is in 1st / 2nd / or 3rd gear. Also appears the engine is idling rougher than it used to.The noise is more pronounced when its below 40 deg F. But in 4th gear += no noise.

Reminds me of my '89 Plymouth with a 318 on a cold day before the oil warmed up - but this is a 2007. The dealer does all the oil changes at 5k, and 5w20 is on the reciept.

Going to see if the stealership will go over it and give me something in writing stating all is within spec for future use.

Has anyone bought the Mazda extended warranty?

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I actually have a question about the noise too. Is it a ticking like a bent valve stem (metal hitting metal?), or is it a squealing like a slipping belt?

I have a squealing belt, and if this car were older I'd say that maybe the timeing belt would need replacing.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM

It's a tapping sound in mine, like oil isn't getting to the top of the engine on a cold morning. Funny thing is, the noise doesn't start until the car is up to temp - which is similar to the symptoms the TSB was supposed to fix.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Both times I had engines fail, the ticking did sound like a bent valve stem.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 AM

I Had a mazda6 2.3 sport 03.
I had the same issue.
the problem is the car uses alot of oil and when it is low, the oil light doesnt come on.
My no1 big end bearing was shot.
Mazda told me that the car had almost no oil in it although I did check a week before the noise started.
I was fortunate enough that the crank was not damaged. I spent £150 replacing the no1 and 2 bearings ( just to be sure) and the sound was gone. I then spent the next few weeks looking for a reliable car that wasnt made by ford. I now run a Honda accord.