Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Engine ticking gone from bad to worse...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: Engine ticking gone from bad to worse...

Update:

So I stopped by the dealer today since as of today it has been two weeks since they told me the engine will be replaced. The engine had just arrived this afternoon and the mechanic took me into the shop to see it. The big box had giant FORD logos on the side and had not yet been opened. (Does anyone know where the US plant is that makes them?)

When the guy opened it up in front of me he was a little put off to see that it was not in a state where it could be simply dropped into my car. He figures it'll take something like 12 to 13 hours of work and I'd be lucky to get it this week. I told this to the shop manager and he said that it might not take that long because he will put a priority on it...I guess we'll see.

When I asked if they figured out what the problem with the old engine was the mechanic thought it had to do with a stuck valve but this was the same guy that initially told me that the ticking was from carbon...so I took it with a grain of salt. The old engine will be sent off somewhere to be analyzed so I don't know if I'll ever know exactly what happened.

Oh, and on the bright side, after telling the maintenance manager that i was getting a little upset having to drive that POS Mazda3 rental (they're paying for) while I'm still paying lease on a 6 they upgraded my rental. I'm now cruisin in a brand new Impala...nice land yacht.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM

I FINALLY got my car back on Wednesday, three weeks to the day that they told me the engine would need to be swapped out. The mechanic tells me not to worry about any break-in period as the new engine tolerances are so close that it's no longer necessary. I was told to just drive the car normally. "Alrighty", says I.

So I get in and drive off the dealer's lot and got about 100 feet away when the check engine light comes on. Quick 180 back to the dealership's garage and give the car back to the mechanic. After a quick fix I was off again happy to be driving my ride again.

So then yesterday while driving I start hearing this faint metal on metal, non-rhythmic plinking like sound as I accelerate through first and then second gear. The shop is closed til Tuesday because of the long weekend so I can't have it looked at for a few days.

I have seriously lost faith in the Mazda 6's engine design as well as the competence level of the mechanics at the dealership where I purchased my car. Lucky for me I had the foresight to lease the car as it was still new and still unproven design in 2004. I never would have guessed that only two years in the entire engine assembly would grind itself into oblivion. This is especially shocking since my old 93' Sonata purchased new for almost half the price lasted me until I traded it in for this car.

I still need to ride out two more years on this lease so I wonder what other unpleasant surprises are waiting for me. <sigh>

Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM

Today is day five since I got the car back...the 'check engine' light came on again this afternoon. [sm=headbang.gif]

I'm bringing the car back to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 PM

Now it also needs a new catalytic convertor too.

I'm dropping it off on Monday.

I wonder what will crap out on the thing next?[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 04-20-2006, 03:30 PM

i can't believe so many things have gone wrong for you... i, along with many others, are very sympathetic for you! it's just no fun at all to see another mazda owner have a problem with his/her vehicle. hopefully you won't have anymore problems (you don't have bad luck, do you? heh heh).

Old 04-20-2006, 05:07 PM

Wow my man! I am terribly sorry. Mazda's are known for there reliablility so you def. chose a good brand! I have never heard of so many problems on one car from any brand! Keep us updated and we are wishing you the best with your car!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: MrSpike118

Wow my man! I am terribly sorry. Mazda's are known for there reliablility so you def. chose a good brand! I have never heard of so many problems on one car from any brand! Keep us updated and we are wishing you the best with your car!
Well, perhaps Mazdas are reliable but now that they are "in bed" with Ford, the crappy Ford engine that's in my 6 is the *only* thing that has screwed up. The catalytic convertor is being replaced because they figure it had carbon (!) from the engine messed it up too. All I can say to that is...THE CAR IS ONLY TWO FREAKIN YEARS OLD!!! IT SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS!!!

<sigh> My next car won't likely be another Mazda I'm sorry to say...not with the experience I've had.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 PM

So my 2004 Mazda 6 continues to astoundme withit's lack of reliability and how much of an absolutepiece of crap it is. Two Fridays ago the secondengine seized. They had to replace the engine and the catalytic convertor. The first engineonly lasted two years before it seized and this replacement onefrom Ford only lasted 2 years as well.I had reported them at the last two oil changes that it was consuming it's oil but that there was no smoke out the back nor oil stains on my parking spot in the underground garage. When I say it's comsuming it's oil, I mean I had to put FIVE jugs of oil into it! The dealer's maintenance manager seemed only mildly concerned. I told them that since the lease runs out in April it would be in their best interest to do something about it because they will be stuck with the car since there is no bloody way I'd be buying it out.

So I got the car back and it only took 4 days. The last time they replced the engine it took a month. Perhaps this has happened enough times that they have become quite versed at swapping out dead engines.

This is my first and very last Mazda. The car has been no end of trouble to the point where Iam nowon a first name basis with the dealer's courtesy shuttle drivers!! I warn all of my friends to stay as far away from Mazda as possible based on my experiences.

For those of you still stuck with your lemons I wish you all the luck in the world.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Iam also expericing the clicking noise in drive while stopped. My warranty will be up in 7000 miles at 100K. I'm taking it in this week 2/20 andhope they don't give me the run around, like they don't hear anything and try to wait until my warranty expires just so they won't have to replace anything huge (like the engine).

Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Can6drvr, I'm confused by what you mean "you had to put 5 jugs of oil in it." Does this mean you had to put that much oil in inbetween oil changes?

Also, you got stuck with the lemon, not us. We haven't had these issues. And by 'us' I mean the vast majority on this website who haven't gotten the car gods so mad they decided to go soddom and gamorah on us.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking gone from bad to worse...