Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 Sport Nav no TMC reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 AM

Also you would not have seen the book until your buy and receive the car and the sales rep would not have been able to show, demonstrate or explain about the functions or non function of the GPS/TMC navigation system. The 'warning' of it not working in the UK should be on a big sticker located across the radio/navigation console. But that will never happen because it is a negative, even though they sell advertise it as a positive. Even if the government (with BBC help)decided to make it freely available, like other countries, it would take ages for it to happen and you'd all have to arrange the update of your software, new maps and licenses.
We get a bum deal in the UK. Once you bought that car they are not going to use up resources chasing up navigation suppliers they don't have access to for information or updates that you will not get (for free).

Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Angry Mazda 5 Sport Nav no Tmc reception

Hi guys

Well finally got an answer from Mazda reference the above issue, and in a nut shell they have decided that as i have not brought the vehicle from them and when i purchased the vehicle it was outside the manufactors warranty. As i brought the vehicle from a non Mazda franchise then Mazda have not enjoyed any revenue from my purcahse. Therefore Mazda have decided that they have no responsibility or support from Mazda regarding the highlighted issues of the Sat Nav RDS TMC function and also the tyre issues as in the other threads.

EVEN THOUGH THE SAT NAV AND RDS FEATURE HAS NOT WORK SINCE THE CAR WAS INITIALLY SOLD IN THE UK......

As explained in the previous threads Mazda sat nav TMC function will never work as Mazda have never agreed to the licence arrangements. SO ALL MAZDA 5 WITH FACTORY FITTED SAT NAV WILL NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE....

Obviously i have been given the bog off answer, and to be honest as most of the servicing was done by Mazda i was going to continue with the local dealer to service it. So the arguement about Mazda not enjoying any revenue holds no water with me. Further more the mother in law was looking to have a small car to see her through her days, and currently has a n reg fiesta. I was going to suggest to her to trade the Fiesta in for a Mazda 2 under the scrappage scheme. Bugger them in this current economic climate they can try and fob Mazda owners off with a technical liability arguement then their loss.

What i would suggest that all current Mazda 5 owners who are still under warranty contact Sandra Mclllmurray at Mazda Uk and take up the arguement with her. If enough people raise the arguement who knows perhaps Mazda will sign into the licence argreement?

To illustrate the point my father in law brought a Mercedes initially he did not have the user handbook for the stereo and Sat Nav. I went to his house up north and switched the RDS TMC function on for him. He has made several journeys back to the midlands down the M6 and in four occasions in three days and the motorway was either closed or major jams on the motorway.The Sat nav alerted him to the problems and gave him an alternative route. Thus saving a long time sat in traffic. He swears by it now. So the bottom line is it is there for a reason and it works. So guys and girls get onto Mazda and bug them about the issue.

I understand that my circumstances have given Mazda a reason to fob me off, but as i have looked on the web some of the best deals for Mazda 5's have been from non Mazda dealers so if you have a problem then don't be supprised if Mazda use the same arguement.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

What is the only solution is to get Mazda (or do it yourself, if you have access to it's ports) to buy new and different navigation software. As it is the navigation software provider that buys or doesn't buy the TMC license. It is Mazdas fault that they did a 'deal' and agreed to buy this cheaper version of a navigation system/maps (the license is embedded in the map data).
By the way with my Pocket PC navigation version I have downloaded my new 2009 Q1 updates for Eastern Europe (West to follow), that's 1 years free updates of maps, POI's, Buildings, Terrain.
Never be swayed into paying for a built in navigator. Spend your money on the car not the candy.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 AM

I did post a similar reply a few weeks back - but while down near Dover I noticed the red line had gone from the TMC... I assumed it was picking something up from the French coast 20 miles away and thought nothing of it.... but then on Sunday I drove all the way from Kent through Dartford Tunnel and into deepest darkest Essex and again noticed there was no Red Line through the TMC box? As I was driving I didn't get to have a play to see if it was really working... but anyone else noticing this now? Has Mazda coughed up and payed the license fee???

Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Even if they had paid the license (not their issue though) unless you car has received the license download remotely (unlikely, until cars have bluetooth byuilt in anids not just for hands free phoning). You willstill be receiving TMC/RDS broadcasts from Heart FM, Class FM etc. etc. that do carry the information, but your navigation system doesn't know what to do with it. so it just shows you are getting data in that area.
Can any of you 'interogate' your nav systems? ...like browse folders.