Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2006 1.8 - noise when starting and wet!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Default 2006 1.8 - noise when starting and wet!

Hi, I first noticed a strange high pitched whine when starting the car the day after washing it. Now, I've noticed this also happens after it has been raining. It's more noticable with a window / door open and sounds to be coming from around the drive belts (when I open the bonnet). It goes off after driving a few hundred yards. I found a post on another website with someone saying the same and they were told perhaps the belts are getting wet causing them to be noisy. It never happens in the dry. Any ideas? I'm just thinking my chances of demonstrating this to a dealer are minimal.
Thanks,
.Richard

Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Right and wrong. a) You probably diagnosed it correctly, and should do something about it. Water on a slipping belt turns to steam in the loaded areas of the pulleys, and that heat is not good for the load bearing surface of the belt. At 60K miles, consider replacement, otherwise adjust the tension.
b) You can probably get a squeal at will; try this as a rehearsal first. Use a spray bottle of water to moisten the drive surface of the belt to get it to squeal. If you succeed, do this in front of the dealer and you've got your demonstration.
This is not a crisis item because once warmed, either from flexing or slipping, water will vaporize off in a few minutes. But over time it does nonetheless degrade the grabbing qualities of the belt.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 AM

Thanks very much oldeng - I'll try the spray out this weekend. I should of mentioned it's done 34k and under warranty until September so hopefully the dealer can resolve. On another note I'm loving the car, having owned 3 Zafira's I wouldn't go back now - the Mazda is so much better built and a much better ride.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Angry Belt Slippage

I have had my 5 for a few years. While under warrenty (@ about 45K miles) I told the dealer and he repaired it. Not even 1 year later it squeals again and only in the wet when the compressor is turning on (Defrost, A/C). At my last servicing I had them tighten the belt some and it was fine for 2 months but at 78K miles, I hate to keep spending money for what I can only imagine is a design flaw. Has anyone used belt dressing to correct this?