Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Horrible radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Default Horrible radio reception

I just bought an 05 Mazda 3, and the radio has HORRIBLE reception. All of the FM channels that will come in on any other car radio in my area are full of static in my new car. I brought to the dealer, and they could not find anything wrong with connections, antennea, etc... but ended up replacing the antennea anyway. This did nothing, and they say there is nothing else that can be done. I brought it to a car radio specialty store, and the manager there said he used to have this car, and had the same problem. He also said there's nothing that can be done -- does anyone have a similar problem?
When you "seek" the channels, it stops on nothing, maybe one very local station. When you manually turn it to a channel, it is in and out static the entire time, although you can hear the station in the background-- thanks for your help, I'm so frustrated!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Horrible radio reception

Sorry to hear of your problems. I haven't really heard of any problems with this car regarding radio reception except when people are putting stubby antennas on instead of the OEM whip. Personally my reception is perfectly fine.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:22 PM

oh man... well thanks for the quick reply -- any trouble shooting tips for a fix or any words of wisdom? i ended up purchasing xm radio just so i would have access to music...

Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM

How is the radio reception in other vehicles? Specifically another Mazda 3.
Assuming that reception is normal in other vehicle then there has got to be something that can be done and for the dealer to give you that line of BS is ridiculous. There is a signal reception test that you can perform yourself although I am sure it will fail. With the radio on and tuned to the best reception you can get of any station, Press and hold the power button, then press the preset #2 button for approx 1-2 seconds while continuing to depress power button. Display should changejto S-METER followed by a number 0 thru 9. The higher the number the greater the signal strength. 5-9 is normal. Am suspecting you will get 0 no matter which stationyou are on and is an indication that antenna feeder cable is disconnected at some point or radio base unit fault. First drawing below shows location of cables and connection points. First connection point is of course at back of radio, Second is at the base of the 'A' pillar, and Third is at upper left rear corner of vehicle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/D84056A0803848D59B96DA95EE38A171.gif[/IMG]
Radio antenna cable and connection locations.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/B41F683B3A1C4FCF8A68F9F805772F32.gif[/IMG]
This is what the S-METER should look like.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Hey ur not alone here. I have had the same problem however mine isn't quite as bad as ur's i dont think. My radio reception isn't the best but it's not as good as it should. I've never done n e thign about it though considering i lissten to a CD 99.9 percent of the time i'm in my car.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:31 PM

I have the sname problem. I have the short stubby Speed3 antenna which works worse than my previous prelude window integrated antenna.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:12 PM

No problem with my FM/AM I getpretty good reception. I don't listen to it too much cause I have the Sirius option and actually just (2 weeks ago) programmed the FM/AM channels.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:14 PM

it also depends alot on where u live. if ur far from the big cities and live in the middle of nowhere. it'll be a problem. even with the stock antenna

i have the 2' stubby O-style antenna ( from www.carcessory.com )
but i live 29 miles straight-line from manhattan. so my stations are still crisp
but i did notice that after i got the stubby. i couldnt get the philadeplhia station at all

so my advice. get an EVEN LONGER antenna (boy will that look retarded) . hahahah

Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM

I have not had the problem. But I do have experience with radios. The problem should be fixed with asignal booster that you purchase from any radio shack. I have installed many of them. They plug directly into your antenna and require a power source and ground return as well.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 PM

thank u all for your responses! but now i am more frustrated than ever -- bought it to another mazda dealer today -- and they think I caused the problem since the XM unit is now installed -- i explained that i did this after the fact the the radio was poor just so i could have something to listen to -- they weren't buying it and actually told me the whole thing was very suspicious (meaning i caused the problem) and said the warranty is no longer valid because of the XMand i would have to pay to have it even checked out.... WTF!

i'm so fed up with the whole thing -- don't know what to do anymore! i'm going to check into that signal booster.

Quick Reply: Horrible radio reception