Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

leasing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Default RE: leasing question

element, go ahead and tint away.. If your mom is buying the car at the end it doesnt matter if u tint it. and even if she gives it back at the end you cant take it off . my quess is the dealer wont even care about the tint. They just want to get u into another lease. You can bring the car in before the lease is up and have it looked over by the dealer and repair things that they will deduct from when u turn it in. Tint... big deal.. here in south Florida everone has tint.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: eastcoaster

element, go ahead and tint away.. If your mom is buying the car at the end it doesnt matter if u tint it. and even if she gives it back at the end you cant take it off . my quess is the dealer wont even care about the tint. They just want to get u into another lease. You can bring the car in before the lease is up and have it looked over by the dealer and repair things that they will deduct from when u turn it in. Tint... big deal.. here in south Florida everone has tint.
^ ^ ^ Great suggestion. ^ ^ ^ Here's another: Get whatever they say in writing when you/she does that.
My thoughts too are that they won't care either way, but you just can't be totally sure how a business will react these days.

As EC said, and I agree, do the tint you want and remove it only if necessary.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 AM

I'll prob **** someone off....but Leasing isnt all that bad of an idea. The idea behind leasing is that every 2-3 years you can get a new car w/o the hassell of negotiating a trade value. Most of us will have car payments for the next 20 years or so on something, so why not get a new car with all the new features and saftey? As for the tint, I can tell you that Mazda doesnt care if the car comes back with tint, they wont charge you for removal. Same idea applies to trucks (ie bedliners, tonneau covers, ect-you can remove what you can and keep it at the end, but the bedliner, you're sol). If anyone has a question, PM or email me (I work for Ford Motor Credit, we own the lease paper for Mazda). Thanks!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

As a (business) tax write-off it's not a bad idea, but a regular citizen can't do that. I have heard some real horror stories about additional charges, and seen the fine print of some of those contracts.
Just the fact that they want so much up front to begin the lease process can be difficult for many ppl. i.e. "$4530 due at signing." Etc... That's a lot of money for many ppl!! Then you still have a monthly payment that is not that much lower than actually purchasing the car.
Most mods would be a no-no. Personalizing in any form is questionable @ best.
Additional fees if you terminate the lease early.
And to worry about what the turn-in "fees" will be...... Someone I knew had leased a Grand Am a few years back. When it came time to turn the car back in, they charged him $350 + labor for a new rear lower seat cover, when there was nothing wrong with it except usual wear and tear.I know this 'cause we often took his car to lunch and I often sat in the back. I was just a little dirty (light gray interior) from use, but not stained in any way. I'm sure a standard cleaning would've had the same effect, and as far as he knew, that's exactly what they did to it.
No Thank You!! I'll buy a used car before I ever lease anything automotive.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Oh and BTW: I think I've heard that insurance premiums are higher for leased vehicles too.
That all adds up. You're already paying the bulk amount for the car that the dealer then gets to resell.
Great for the car company and the dealer. Not so good for the leaser, imo.