Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Intake instalation minus MAF vacuum tube adapter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Default Intake instalation minus MAF vacuum tube adapter???

could i attach the short ram intake at the end of the acordian instead of completely removing the acordian so that i could use that Vacuum tube on the stock part?? what would be the downfalls to this?!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Intake instalation minus MAF vacuum tube adapter???

Dude you can't do that either...your MAF sensor is attached to the box....and the vaccum is attached to the accordian hose. You need the MAF sensor...you honestly DON"T need the Vaccum hose...all you have to do is cover up the hole on the intake via a vaccumm cap from Auto zone or whatever and put an oil breather to the outlet of the valve cover...i've done this with no harm, no CEL and no rough idle.. the only down side is that you aren't recycling engine air back through your inake so you'll have a negliable decrease in mpg.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM

It would also help if you could provide the ebay link in which you bought the product.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

yes your right, and i knew that. My intake has no holes in the metal, but what it does have is a thick rubber piece that connects the Intake to the Stock wherever. Thers a good 2-3 inches of thick rubber in between. If i cut a small X in the rubber and stuck the MAF facing in the right direction, and secured it with something like electrical tape, this would eliminate the problem yea? this would encorporate both the vac tube, the ash catcher box thing (which i might take off just so its a steady airflow being uninterupted), And the MAF sensor. how does this sound?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW
- yes i know, sketchy.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 PM

That might work. Honestly, we have very very VERY touchy MAF sensors, the slightest leak around where you would cut could throw the sensor off completely but its wroth a shot..At the very worst you'd have to buy a new coupleing. Then just do what I said with the oil breather.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 PM

whats the oil breather? and what do i do with it?? and what about the ash catcher box thing, would that reduce airflow if i left it there, or should i take it of and somehow close the hole off? thx

Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Ok on the accordion tube there is that vaccumm hose that comes off of it...follow it all the way back till it reaches the back right hand side of the block..it will connected there disconnect the hose and there should be an inch or less tube sticking out...put the oil breather on there....I'm not sure what you are talking about with this ash catcher thing...are you talking about the "waste gate" looking thing that sits on the side closest to the headlight...yes your new intake will remove that..its not a big deal

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...456_2_full.jpg

See in the top right hand corner of the block where the blue thing is...thats the oil breather.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM

Oh thats what i thought. hm, just wasnt sure. so your saying i SHOULD remove the acordian, instead of just attaching the intake onto it further eliminating the need for the oil filter, and just forget about the vac tube, and use the oil filter instead. and this Will or Will Not descrease my MPG? if it will, id rather just attach the intake to the accordian, removing the box filter, leaving the vac n dirt catcher. if its possible to do so. sry for asking so many questions. new to this=my curiosity. thx

Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Yes, you should remove the accordian, not removing that and sticking the cone filter will do nothing for your car except add a little more sound with absouletly no performace gain what-so-ever. If you remove the accordian and use the oil breather you will loose such a faractional amount of MPG that can't even be calculated. Worrying about this never seems to be the point because adding an SRI or CAI usually Increases your MPG because the smoother piping allows for a significantly better airflow and CAI uses this same desing but brings in cooler, denser, air allowing for a more efficent combustion in the chamber. Therefore, upping, your MPG.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM

o i seeee thanks, im doin it tonight. we will see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Intake instalation minus MAF vacuum tube adapter???