Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

new protege owner with issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Default new protege owner with issues

alright i just bought a 2000 mazda protege dx/lx 1.6l auto
this is my first little car ive ever owned im a jeep guy and used to working on v8s. alright so when i first got the car the thing was idling way high at like 2000 rpm and it kinda surges up and down. so i let the thing run for about an hour to see if it would idle down and that never happened. but when i put it into gear it would go down to about 900 to 1000 rpm which i thought was normal but it surges from like 800 to 1000. so i got to looking around checking for cracked vacuum lines also checked the boot from the air box to throttle body for cracks and there is none. so i kinda let it be for the day but while driving, if im cruising down the road at like 45 to 50mph and let off the gas a tad bit to slow down it like down shifts or overdrive kicks out or something. overdrive light does not come one when it does this. im not even sure if it does down shift. the rpms go down and it slows the car down. so i turned overdrive off by pushing the button on the shifter and it still does this same thing so im not sure what it is. this morning i got to messing around with it. and i backed the idle screw out cause it looked like it was about maxed. and now it idles in park at around 1200 to 1300 but it still surges. i also removed the idle air control valve and cleaned it up, it wasnt to dirty though. but still no difference. its not throwing any codes either. while driving it dosnt surge from what i can tell.
if i can get these things fixed that would be awesome defiantly be saving gas compared to my 97 zj that gets 13mpg! thanks for any help guys!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Grizz:
These Protege are nice little cars. I've bought an '98 for my boys to learn stick shift.

Take your time to read the "Unofficial User's guide to the '95 to '98 Protege." Yours is not too different. I bet it has about 140K miles on it? I suggest cleaning the throttle body, EGR (if it has that) replace vacuum lines, air filter, clean MAF sensor and so on. Just clean and reuse. Replace the PCV valve.
Check for other vacuum leaks, in particular the lower intake manifold gasket. Don't forget the O-ring of the oil fill cap.
Give it a set of new spark plugs with proper gaps. If you have wires, replace those too.
Do these things and report back.

Which screw exactly did you turn to adjust idle?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 AM

it would be a good idea to check the tps.