Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Cat's fouled out- Just got a tune up need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Default Cat's fouled out- Just got a tune up need help!

I have a 2002 mazda protege es that kept having random misfires, took it to autozone to read the check engine codes, they said thermostat, cat converter, and random misfire.

Had my mechanic do a full tune up and clean the egr for $200 but also said that BOTH catylitic converters are plugged and sending gas and exhaust back into the engine. He replaces all plugs, wires, etc. Also had him replace the front cat that was $200 so far. Parts and labor for the front cat is $200 and the main one is $500 which I thought was ridiculous. Does this sound right? What should I do?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM

Is he installing a universal as opposed to factory cats? Those would be cheaper, if they work with your car. I apparently have a special "S" shaped cat in my 2002 Mazda Tribute and I can't get anyone to quote me under $900 for the part ONLY. No one will entertain a universal. Clearly, my car is different from a Protege. There will be some great feedback from the moderators here. Good Luck.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Okay thanks so much! Hopefully get feedback from them soon! Great forum! Shop ended up not cleaning out the EGR because they said it would throw it's own code if it was clogged? Even though I've heard the EGR being dirty can cause misfire codes?

Last edited by wade0731; 02-25-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

Not sure about pricing, but it needs to be done.
Cat bits can go up to the egr and clog it up or pass thru it and ruin your engine, especially if bits get in to oil.
Why is your cats clogged? Burning oil?
Compression test to test piston ring blow by. Change your PCV valve.

Good reading: How can I tell if my catalytic converter is... — Yahoo! Autos

AND: Reasons for catalytic converter failure. | eBay

I believe the first cat has O2 sensors on each side, but the back one may not have any, so as far as i'm concerned you could remove it and gut it, remove the insides! This is not legal, but the cat is there, no one can see the inside! Actually gonna be hard to gut as it has a long pipe attached to it.

According to The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles your rear catalytic looks like:

It has flanges and a long pipe part of it as a whole assembly, hence the price.

You could try running a cleaner through it as per video:

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 02-25-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

It had a misfire, I let it go for a long time without doing anything to fix the misfire. I am thinking this is why the cats clogged.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wade0731
It had a misfire, I let it go for a long time without doing anything to fix the misfire. I am thinking this is why the cats clogged.
That'll do it! Hopefully you got the misfire fixed---Check all ignition coils?
If the unburned fuel got in your cats, chances are it may be melted, at least the first one, not sure about main rear one. Melted cats can't be cleaned as they are warped.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
That'll do it! Hopefully you got the misfire fixed---Check all ignition coils?
If the unburned fuel got in your cats, chances are it may be melted, at least the first one, not sure about main rear one. Melted cats can't be cleaned as they are warped.
Both Cats are melted. Had the front one replaced today, all ignition coils and plugs replaced. So I could clean the back one possibly? Guy said they were both bad. Already runs 10 times better after all that! I got a full tune up, air filter, plugs and wires and all that.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Was driving it had a bad misfire for about 60 seconds lost half my power and engine light started flashing. What is it now? Could it be the other cat? Or is it the EGR clogged?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM

That sounds a lot like the coil pack failed. Exactly what you are describing happened to me in my 2002 Tribute (4cyl). I also noticed a significant loss of gas in the tank as apparently when the coil pack fails, you dump a bunch of fuel. That repair for me was $600 at a local shop, but I was told by other parties I paid too much for it.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM

If you don't believe that the rear cat is shot have them perform a temperature test or better yet a back pressure test.
A working CAT will be hotter at the outlet than the inlet.

Quick Reply: Cat's fouled out- Just got a tune up need help!