Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Explosion!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 11:08 AM

And that is just it. How do you PROVE your car has a defect rather than some random event? Easy for a dealer to deny the issue was the manufacturers fault.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by etsok1
I had a 2016 Buick Regal GS, same exploding sunroof problem. Turned out some vehicles had the sunroof installed with glass thinner than required allowing it to pop during normal stress. Some reports also stated that the glass was installed too tightly which contributed to the problem. GM issued a recall and blamed the glass supplier. . It was repaired by the dealer no charge, but he did try to blame a road rock initially.
First the car is a Buick not a MAZDA.

I really wonder why people often compare issues with mixed manufactured vehicle like this subject of glass. I suppose if there is evidence to support that the glass was provided by the same manufacture to both auto manufactures then at least there is a common ground of comparing. But then most glass suppliers have different countries they manufactured glass to supply various auto manufactures so you would have to narrow the issue to one specific facility and country the glass was manufactured in. This does not really support anything except that a few were replaced by dealers, but no evidence Buick remembered the dealers for the parts or labor. Reads more like a curtesy adjustment than anything else. Last I looked all the glass on any US sold vehicle must meet at least the minimum certified safety requirement so not sure how the glass company skated not being question and or investigated bt the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?

Originally Posted by chickdr19
And that is just it. How do you PROVE your car has a defect rather than some random event? Easy for a dealer to deny the issue was the manufacturers fault.
Well it easy if you were smarter individual, like how do your ear feel driving down the road windows open at 60 plus MPH and you roll them all up fast. Now add a very hot day AC on full and a impact of a rock or solid debris from the road. Do ya think the pressure inside the cabin pushing against the sunroof with 2 opposing temperature would have a significant force applied that should the impact fracture the glass that opposing pressure would influence the complete fracturing of the reaming glass. . LOL
Dude really, I actually considered you an intelligent individual but looks more and more like you just like to respond with nonsense. Not only this forum?

I contacted the NHTS to inquire about any investigation in sunroof "explosions" Maybe a few members that are pushing an agenda against the MAZDA manufacture on this subject should do that same and read what their conclusion and findings were. Let me just say I sincerely doubt as far as MAZDA owners there will not be any class action suit filed.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-29-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:18 PM

If you have the money, you can hire an engineering firm to determine if it is a defect or not.
If you have an issue or problem, notify the manufacturer, otherwise they have no clue there may be an issue.
For most of us, NHTSA issues vehicle safety standards and requires manufacturers to recall vehicles and equipment that have safety-related defects.
What happens after that is determined by the number of complaints.
A single group or combination of engineers from various vehicle and parts manufactures, along with those from the NHTSA, will investigate.
If any actual material defects are found a recall will be conducted.
A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards. Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA. The majority of recalls and safety defects are initiated by owner complaints.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:46 PM

nice response Lostah

we need a thumbs up added to the smiley list

Old 09-29-2022, 05:09 PM

What atsok1 was pointing out, was that the sunroof explosion isn't just Mazda or Asian autos, it wide spread.
He also pointed out a couple of reason why they are exploding. I do doubt that closing a side window has much,
if anything, to do with it.

My 2¢

Old 09-30-2022, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE= I do doubt that closing a side window has much,

You would be incorrect.
Air displacement physics would prove you wrong.
Pressure changes, even minor, can and do effect just about everything including the cabin pressure in a vehicle.
Which is why in a new "tight" vehicle your ears will generally "pop" if you are moving with open window(s) and close them.
While it is not likely to be the only cause of breaking tempered glass it can be the "straw" that breaks the camel's back or should I say sunroof.
All tempered glass, from vehicles, to skyscraper windows and oven doors, has the potential to have defects.
From impurities, manufacturing irregularities and incorrect installation or combination thereof.
If any of these exist, then minor temperature changes, vibrations, pressure changes or combination can be just enough to cause an actual failure.
Even your tempered windshield is prone to this but because it is laminated it "usually" will not send pieces flying everywhere.
I once had a partridge hit my truck windshield which completely shattered it into tiny rectangles mostly intact, but I did get shards all over me and the inside of my truck.
The bird hit exactly where my rearview mirror was glued to the windshield which effects the integrity of the glass in the spot it is attached to.
And no, I didn't get to eat the partridge it literally was turned inside out and landed on the hood of my neighbor who was in back of me.
My witty neighbor said, "You must be having a bad day Flippin' me the bird this early the morning".

Last edited by Lobstah; 09-30-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
What atsok1 was pointing out, was that the sunroof explosion isn't just Mazda or Asian autos, it wide spread.
He also pointed out a couple of reason why they are exploding. I do doubt that closing a side window has much,

My 2¢
It NOT WIDESPREAD at all. LOL
Look ... so many people will join several forums and post the same thing. They add up but not to the point of wide spread. Just like your post which will now be part of the MYTH that it is wide spread because of your post and not actually doing the research to find out other wise. You are just read ing what is repeated information over and over and over again.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-30-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Consider that all vehicles these days are vented allowing air to exit the interior; perhaps by law.
​​​My 2¢
While cars have a "vent" they are not "vented" per-se.
The small cabin air vent is not designed to remove air from the vehicle but to introduce it and circulate it.
Check out "Helmholtz resonance".
When you open a window, the air inside the car has only a single opening to allow entry or exit of the "air" and the air in and around the opening starts vibrating (caused by the wind passing over the open window).
This creates small vortex pockets which interact with the opening and cause the air inside to compress and decompress rapidly in a spring-like fashion, creating an annoying throb most everyone is familiar with.

The effect has actually gotten worse as vehicles have become more aerodynamic.
That pressure difference and frequency could be just enough to shatter a sunroof, especially one that may already have issues.

Last edited by Lobstah; 09-30-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:29 PM

What cracks me up is months ago I posted in support of people who had the issue and was criticized by Calli and now I ask how you would PROVE the cause
Not sure what the kerfuffle is all about.
The cause of any structural failure is discernable in almost all instances.
The issue is simply time/money.
Most of us don't have the money to hire a team of investigative engineers, which is not the same thing as not being able to prove a cause.
Without a full investigation to the cause, if we assign one to it, we would be merely guessing.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:27 AM

Really? How exactly would you go about finding the definitive cause for a particular exploded sunroof? I posted from the onset a dealer "should" cover this during the 3yr/36k warranty as it can't really be proven it wasn't a defect, but if they choose not to cover it all one can really do is take it to another dealer, or call corporate and see if they will override the decision. You can't really "prove" the sunroof was defective as a stray rock, or other object could be the cause (which certainly would not be considered a defect). You mentioned earlier one could have an investigation done if you had the cash but who is really going to do this when they could just have the sunroof replaced for a few hundred bucks? You may not agree with my opinion either, but this doesn't make my opinion any less relevant than anyone else on the forum and certainly doesn't make it ok to denigrate the members intelligence, or other attributes. FYI I am not kid either - 53 yrs old. Not being sensitive here, just not a fan of folks spouting off their superiority at the cost of others. You are not on the same level as whom I speak of, but I don't get the defense of them by you either.
Opinions are based on fluid thought processes which vary with every person.
I have expressed multiple times how one can go about finding a definitive cause for a "shattered sunroof" instead of stating an "opinion".
I have also expressed multiple times failure to do so does not validate one's opinion on the subject.
I also clearly indicated choosing not to find the cause, for any reason, does not equate to the cause being a "warranty issue" or anything else for that matter.
Calling it a warranty issue, a defect or anything else without substantiating what it really is, is merely stating an opinion.
I could say the earth is flat, and you can say it isn't and we could go back and forth forever.
Thankfully we have factually ascertained the earth is indeed not flat.
That determination was arrived at by multiple investigations and not by opinion, just as a "shattered sunroof" could be.
And yet we also are aware of those who still hold the opinion the earth to be flat and still call themselves "superior".
I've often found that those who say "not being sensitive here" or like statements, very often are.
As for age; David Gilmour song Near the End comes to mind.
"Thinking that we're getting older and wiser...When we're just getting old"

Last edited by Lobstah; 10-02-2022 at 04:13 PM.