Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Sunroof Explosion!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Happens on every model year. I hope Mazda helps you out.
Not sure where you got this information, oh wait you found it on the internet. Please post the siting information where you found it!

Old 09-18-2022, 03:56 PM

Hello.
Same thing happened to my 2021 Mazda CX-5 a couple of days ago while I was driving on the highway at the speed of approximately 60mph.
At the time I had my long surfboard mounted on the roof rack, and I suddenly heard a big 'pop' sound. At first I thought something happened to my surfboard, but soon realized that there were spiderweb-like cracks on the glass of the sunroof when I opened the shade under the glass. I drove home (since I didn't want to stop in the middle of the highway), and the sunroof was shattered into pieces when I arrived.
There is no chance of any object causing an impact on the sunroof since the long surfboard was completely covering the top of the sunroof, and there was nothing from my surfboard that could have hit the glass (my surfboard is a foam board and the leash was tied to the surfboard).
I'm going to report this incident to my Mazda dealership, and also to the Consumer Report.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:01 PM

From what I've read here on this topic, unless I missed one, every one of these has happened while driving and not while parked.
The only common denominator we have in all these cases is the sunroof was closed.
We don't know if the vehicles heat or AC was on, if it had been parked in a garage, on the street, in the shade, in the sun or how long it had even been driven.
When you are "driving" you are putting stress on all parts of the vehicle that are not there when it's parked.
This means there is a nearly unlimited number of structural possibilities that could cause this or any "adverse condition" to arise.
Something as simple as tire and/or suspension wear creating more vibration and/or torque which amplifies vibration on the chassis and body including the sunroof.
Then add in weather conditions, temperature, speed and a multitude of road conditions.
Until an in-depth study is done, calling it a "defect" is subjective at best.
Like most "anomalies" in the manufacturing world, studies are never done until the frequency, injury, or cost level threshold reaches a specific point.
Generally attributed to the manufacturers insurance policy and/or adverse public perception.
Without a fully detailed investigation the real reason, or particular combination off, will likely never be known.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:14 PM

Also in the case just posted today. I could make a case of a rock or other object coming up from the road and just so happening to hit the gap between the surfboard and roof...

Old 09-19-2022, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Also in the case just posted today. I could make a case of a rock or other object coming up from the road and just so happening to hit the gap between the surfboard and roof...
And using the surfboard to deflect the rock or other "foreign object" to the sunroof glass.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
And using the surfboard to deflect the rock or other "foreign object" to the sunroof glass.
Exactly. It could be something else entirely, but if Mazda wanted to deny replacement, they could certainly say it couldn't be proven it wasn't a foreign object.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 AM

I get a chuckle at times what some people think manufactures (blanket description) of products should do! LOL
No empirical facts
No data
Very little overall incidence vs manufactured numbers

vehicle related more people thinking they are unjustly handled with their vehicle when something does not get handled as they think it should be all the while they are adding miles on the odometer....

LOL

Old 09-19-2022, 11:39 AM

You mean I can't blame Perelli Diablo tire defects for doing a high side on my motorcycle track days.
I guess that means Shoei and Dainese are off the hook and Ducati isn't going to pay for a new windscreen either.
I mean after all; I was just riding along as I normally do...

Old 09-19-2022, 11:42 AM

hahahahahahahahahaha!

Old 09-29-2022, 10:28 AM

I had a 2016 Buick Regal GS, same exploding sunroof problem. Turned out some vehicles had the sunroof installed with glass thinner than required allowing it to pop during normal stress. Some reports also stated that the glass was installed too tightly which contributed to the problem. GM issued a recall and blamed the glass supplier. . It was repaired by the dealer no charge, but he did try to blame a road rock initially.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Explosion!