Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB not working after brake maintenance mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 02:07 PM
Default Key FOB not working after brake maintenance mode

Hi all! Just replaced rear brakes on my CX-5 2017 after putting it in maintenance mode. Now the car is unresponsive: can not start, no green light on push button, no indicator lights on except seat belt, no door locks, no rear lift gate. Replaced key FOB battery. Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:52 AM

Normally this only happens if you didn't follow the all the correct procedures in order to enter and exit maintenance mode.
If you did not do this, you may have damaged a brake caliper piston (it won't retract) and the vehicle will not start.
Other possible reason would be faulty FOB battery which you checked or a faulty main battery, have you checked that?

Old 10-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Default Fixed

Hello,
Thanks for your response. It turned out the battery discharged for some reason. After giving it a jump, I was able to get it out of maintenance mode and broke in my new pads and rotors without incident. Thank goodness for YouTube, for I was unaware of putting the car in maintenance mode in order to compress the pistons. I was attempting to do it without putting it in maintenance mode using a large "C" clamp and it did not budge. Ended up snapping the plastic connector to the electronic emergency brake unit but was able to reconnect and ended up taping it up. It's working for now but will replace it if it gives me trouble in the future.
All in all, it was still worth the over $800 I saved for doing all 4 brakes and rotors, with top of the line parts, as compared to the dealer price! And to top it off, only the rear passenger pads were worn down, the other three weren't even half way worn. The dealer told me I needed ALL FOUR done, what a bunch of crooks! AND they were the ones who told me they replaced the brakes when I purchased the car from them a couple of years ago!
I saved the front pads and rotors to show them next time (if ever) I go back to them. Don't know if it's worth the aggravation
Anyway, thanks again!
By the way, the dealer is Mazda of Poughkeepsie.

Last edited by paz349; 10-02-2022 at 11:18 AM.