Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Explosion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Exclamation Sunroof Explosion!

2020 CX-5 - The sunroof glass suddenly exploded for no known reason while driving 45 mph on a sunny day. It was 55 degrees outside. When it happened I thought one of the tires blew up as it makes a sound like a bomb going off! It was quite scary.
I've opened a case with Mazda Corporation to try and get my $500. deductible reimbursed since this is a manufacturing defect.
Has this happened to anyone else? Thought you should all beware..

Old 04-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Sunroofs being what they are, they can have things fall on top of them (ie, hail damage, a golf ball from a nearby course, a small tree branch, whatever). And we might never know it happened. Could have been something in the recent months that strained the glass, to the point where it cracked now while driving. Hard to know, for certain.

Hopefully Mazda will cover it as part of the warranty. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:59 PM

I hope they will too. But the warranty won’t cover impact damage, which this could have been rather than a “manufacturing defect”. I realize he is new, but the search function works well on this forum. Best of luck to the OP.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ploding-38056/

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...zda-6-a-38226/

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...sunroof-11889/

Last edited by CarpeDiem; 04-05-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:27 PM

I've heard of this happening occasionally. Largely southern states, particularly the southwest.

Sun roof doesn't have enough room for heat expansion.

Thought that the manufacturers had "adjusted" clearances to stop this.
guess not.

My 2¢

Old 04-05-2021, 05:23 PM

Thanks. It's definitely still happening. My hope is that the replacement glass will hold. Luckily I hardly ever use my sunroof so the inner door is shut which keeps the glass from raining down on the driver and passengers!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:24 PM

Thanks for sharing these other incidents. This is an issue with several auto makers, not just Mazda. They say it's from the size of the sunroofs and how they've gotten bigger.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:38 PM
Talking Mazda Reimbursement for Sunroof Explosion

Good News everyone who saw my post "Sunroof Explosion." Mazda Corp is going to reimburse my insurance deductible! Thank you MAZDA!

Old 04-09-2021, 05:45 AM

This is a much bigger problem for the brands that have the huge panoramic roofs. Too much weight and not able to handle the body flex. Thankfully Mazda has not given in to this trend.

Likely an impact in this case but great that Mazda helped you out.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:07 PM
Default Sunroof exploded 6/16/21

Driving my 2019 CX5 today and I thought the same as the author… I thought my tire popped and pulled over to see that my sunroof had exploded outwardly.

Glad (?) to see I’m not the only one. Hopefully I can get reimbursed as well and will use this thread as proof that it’s happening to others.

The second image below shows how the glass is pushed outwards proving there was not impact from above. Plus I have a dash cam and there were no objects from a car in front.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM

This is a VERY common problem with just about all manufacturers. Most won't give you a dime so congrats to MAZDA for covering the insurance deductible...but it's still a claim held against you

Quick Reply: Sunroof Explosion!