Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pyrotec
Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.
So the chipping is a known problem with this car?! Any other issues? I'm not happy with the swirls I have. And I'm not convinced that they can fix them. When I asked how to wash the car... Salesman said not to touch the car when washing... Ever. Is that a joke?! Is this paint that delicate?

Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pyrotec
Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.
Pyrotec, did you contact Mazda directly again? If so, what were the results?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn
So the chipping is a known problem with this car?! Any other issues? I'm not happy with the swirls I have. And I'm not convinced that they can fix them. When I asked how to wash the car... Salesman said not to touch the car when washing... Ever. Is that a joke?! Is this paint that delicate?
I believe the salesmen are kind of stupid when it comes to maintenance. Some probably don't own a good car. I actually wondered if there was a soap they suggest and he actually said "dawn? it works on feathers so should be fine". Dawn would damage the paint. -_-.

I used mothers soap w/ carnauba, and mothers carnauba wax with excellent results. You can use any cloth car sponge. Obviously brush automatic car washes are a no go, those things are horribly dirty. Touchless is fine but won't get your bugs off.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Default soul red chipping

Have a 2016 CX-5 with Soul Red option. Earlier poster said option was $595, I believe mine was $395....it was a late 2015 build. Only chip I have occurred when opening hatch in garage and contact with opener mechanism...very tiny, otherwise my paint is perfect. Wonder if paint formula changed. The dealer did explain Soul Red was a two step process with a clear red applied over a silver base coat to give a candy apple appearance and would be difficult to touch up. I don't think there is another OEM red that even comes close.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Topol, the Soul Red option for 2017 is different from previous reds. It's even more complicated in as much as it's a 3 step process and the cost is $595.00. Mazda admits that it was a challenge for them to come up with a "concept car" color/process to be mass produced. They should have realized that you don't drive concept cars on the highway!! Very weak, thin paint.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:04 AM
Default ???????????

Guess the Mazda guys never heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Old 11-27-2017, 05:08 AM

I agree! Love the 2017 CX-5 that we just bought but we are having the same problems with the paint. The look is amazing but in less than a month and less that 1500 miles of driving, we already have 2 chips. One chip was found on the passenger door in the indent so not from a door. The other is on the passenger side front quarter panel on top. Both are only chips and no dents. This is very upsetting. I think we should all contact Mazda to complain. I have a 2002 jetta with over 170,000 miles that doesn't have any chips except on the hood.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM

My wife has a 2017 titanium no chips, I have close to 100 chips on my hood after 17000 kms. Never seen this much damage in only one winter. My 2012 mustang has only 2 that I can see. The soul red seems weak. I will see what the dealer tells me on my next oil change.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Also have a sould red and the chips are terrible after only 1 winter. Cheap paint.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by labouch
My wife has a 2017 titanium no chips, I have close to 100 chips on my hood after 17000 kms. Never seen this much damage in only one winter. My 2012 mustang has only 2 that I can see. The soul red seems weak. I will see what the dealer tells me on my next oil change.
17000 kms is 10500 miles if I did my math correctly. Are you serious?!?! 100 chips???? That insane and worrisome. I contacted Mazda corporate via the website. I just replied sending them pics of my chips. I urge everyone with this issue to contact them. The more documentation they have regarding this the more chance we have of them doing something. I took my car to my dealer . . I was told touch up paint will be in April 1 and they want to see if that will "alleviate the problem". I rolled my eyes. They don't care. They aren't going to admit this is an issue. But it clearly is. I'm so disappointed. And the fact that we paid a premium for this color is insult to injury.

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic