Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by patjoe
Mazda does not have a body shop in our town but ford does so that's where they have it. I can't say weather they are good or bad have not had much experience in that field,I do know by talking to some of the other shops it takes more than 2 days to paint a whole car when done properly. They didn't just tape it off and spray it. They stripped right down and I am in Canada not the US makes quite a difference.
Don't understand the last sentence about Canada vs US?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM

In Canada there isn't the choice like in the Sates we don't have a lot of pro body shops that we can just pop into over the weekend and get rims to boot. Maybe in T.O. pro body shops but you would wait a good length of time to get a car in to them, then the cost would be unbelievable,with no rims thrown in and I know it would take more than a weekend to strip a car down and repainted like factory. Quit different up here.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM

I'm watching this with great interest. I took my '17 SRC to my dealer early last week upon instruction of Mazda NA. Have not heard anything yet. Had at least a dozen "flakes", and a couple of actual stone "chips".

Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Default CX5 Crystal soul red

I will keep everyone informed

Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by SweetPete
I'm watching this with great interest. I took my '17 SRC to my dealer early last week upon instruction of Mazda NA. Have not heard anything yet. Had at least a dozen "flakes", and a couple of actual stone "chips".
SweetPete,
Here are the sequence of events so far:
June 22- Contact Mazda USA at MazdaCustomerExperience at mazdausa dot com and the service rep got back to me the same day. She told me to take it to the nearest dealer for inspection. (I was overseas at the time)
June 30 - Mazda rep follows up to see if I've been to the dealer.
July 1 - I call the dealer to set up an appointment. They are confused. I get a call back that evening confirming an appointment for July 5th.
July 5 - Visit dealer, they are still confused but pleasant and keen to solve the issue. They tell me it will be a long process since we are dealing with corporate.
July 10- Return to dealer. They use a paint marker to circle every chip (or groups of chips) 102 circles in total. They take photos, I take photos, then they brought it to the body shop for an estimate. I got the CX-5 back clean but spiderswirled like a ****. No worries, another coat of wax fixed this issue. I noticed a packet in the dealer's hand. I asked what it was and he told me it was a bulletin from Mazda titled "2017/2018 Mazda CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Photo Guide" and it's dated May 14th, 2018.
July 19- Dealer calls and says corporate gave the approval for a repaint and to bring it in on Aug 6th. Dealer says it is an issue with the clear coat that has since been resolved and assures me that chipping will not be an issue afterward. Dealer will also provide a loaner CX-5 or MAZDA6 until it's finished.

I'm overseas again so my wife will have to handle it from here. She won't be able to scrutinize the paint job like I can so I am hoping they get it right the first time.

patjoe,
I was kidding about the rims.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info boogietron9000! I'm hoping Mazda NA takes a consistent approach to this issue i.e. everyone gets their car completely repainted. Are you planning on installing a clear bra after the repaint? I had a car repainted years ago, and was told by the clear bra installer that the paint/clearcoat needed to cure for at least 6 weeks before he would do the install.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by SweetPete
Thanks for the info boogietron9000! I'm hoping Mazda NA takes a consistent approach to this issue i.e. everyone gets their car completely repainted. Are you planning on installing a clear bra after the repaint? I had a car repainted years ago, and was told by the clear bra installer that the paint/clearcoat needed to cure for at least 6 weeks before he would do the install.
I did consider a clear bra and intend to have one installed as soon as I can. The installer told me a minimum of 3 weeks for new paint to cure. The quote was $1500 for full hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper, a-pillars, partial roof. He uses XPEL, SunTek, 3M, and ClearShield. He has a great reputation and does mostly luxury and super-cars.

My question is, do we park the cx-5 until it cures? (my wife hates this option as she does not want to drive my '02 4Runner). If she drives the CX-5 and we discover it still chips easily, I will have to file a buyback claim with BBB since the poor paint quality greatly devalues the vehicle. This is something i really want to avoid.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Default Which paint code ?

Hi. Calling from United Kingdom. I have Soul Red Metallic paint code 41V. This has suffered high levels of "chipping". Are users of this thread referring to Soul Red Metallic code 41V, Soul Red Crystal Metallic code 46V or a combination of both ?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur
Hi. Calling from United Kingdom. I have Soul Red Metallic paint code 41V. This has suffered high levels of "chipping". Are users of this thread referring to Soul Red Metallic code 41V, Soul Red Crystal Metallic code 46V or a combination of both ?
Just 46V. I had 100+ chips in 12 months. Many others are suffering the same.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Interesting about the "bulletin". Id like to have a peek at that

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic