Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Soul Red Crystal Metallic (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/soul-red-crystal-metallic-38656/)

Belize Bound 08-04-2017 10:52 AM

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I just purchased my third new Mazda in the last four years. Always very impressed with the vehicles. This last time we chose another CX-5 GT. We opted for the $595.00 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I am not very pleased with the quality of the paint job that Mazda has so rigorously touted. After a very short freeway trip, I noticed several tiny chips on the hood. Never heard any rocks, etc. hit the hood during this trip. The paint seems to be extremely thin. Also there are very fine swirl marks which appear to be beneath the clear coat. Curious if anyone else has had problems with this new paint option. Will be bringing it into the dealership for further evaluation.

photog72 08-13-2017 10:06 PM

I have a red one as well (2017 CX-5 GT). Paint is weak. Small chips on the hood as well. Then again, I have a white 2016 Accord, and the paint on the hood is chipped as well.

Sea Six 08-27-2017 01:42 PM

You can't get touch-up paint for this color - tried for my wife's Miata. Close, but they say it's not a perfect match

schmieg 08-27-2017 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 163917)
You can't get touch-up paint for this color - tried for my wife's Miata. Close, but they say it's not a perfect match

The touch up paint my dealer sold me for my 2014 matches my 2013 MX5 True Red pretty well.

JeffMD 08-28-2017 04:13 AM

Yea the pains of the Mazda paint chipping are shared by many, and candy coloring which isn't far from pearlescent is a multi layer process that can't be replicated with a single use touch up paint. I use dr colorchip with good results though, and it is a fairly easy process.

Sea Six 09-02-2017 07:55 PM

I'll probably go that route, but it sucks to spend that much knowing the color isn't going to match.

Pyrotec 09-03-2017 09:36 PM

I have the same problem. Purchased a 2017 CX-5 GT and after 9 weeks a half-dozen chips in the paint. My wife has a 2016 CX-5 GT in white. She has 26,000 miles on it with one chip in the hood. I really wish I had bought white instead of Soul Red Crystal Metallic. Love the color, hate that the paint chips so easily.

Pyrotec 09-13-2017 07:54 PM

Help on 2017 Soul Red Crystal

Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.

Belize Bound 09-14-2017 11:31 AM

Pyrotec, how did you contact Mazda directly? What department did you go through? I emailed them and basically they told me to go buy some touch up paint!!!!!

Jennifer Lynn 09-16-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Bound (Post 163621)
I just purchased my third new Mazda in the last four years. Always very impressed with the vehicles. This last time we chose another CX-5 GT. We opted for the $595.00 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I am not very pleased with the quality of the paint job that Mazda has so rigorously touted. After a very short freeway trip, I noticed several tiny chips on the hood. Never heard any rocks, etc. hit the hood during this trip. The paint seems to be extremely thin. Also there are very fine swirl marks which appear to be beneath the clear coat. Curious if anyone else has had problems with this new paint option. Will be bringing it into the dealership for further evaluation.

To the original poster... What was the result? I have swirl marks on my car as well. I didn't notice at time of purchase. I bought it 9/4. It's going back next week to see if they can fix it. But I'm pretty upset. This is a prime color and it shouldn't look like this. I guess I chose the wrong color. 😯