Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:49 AM

For those not familiar with the Kia problem, here's just 1 of many links: Kia Yellow Stinger Kia obviously knows how to treat its customers, starting with an official acknowledgement that there's even a problem in the first place, and ending with a check for $5k for the hassle.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Angry Soul Red Mazda 3 Platinum

I live in Ireland and the Paintwork on my 2017 Soul Red '3' has orange peel in places. Most people think it is not a problem, but it should have been blemish free from the factory. I feel the paint is very soft and not able to withstand everyday driving conditions very well at all.
The dealer gave me a touch-up set which included Soul Red and Tinted Clearcoat but the colourmatch is not very good. Mazda need, I feel, to up their game regarding paintwork. Oh and don't even get me started on the useless Sat Nav.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by voso
Mazda need, I feel, to up their game regarding paintwork. Oh and don't even get me started on the useless Sat Nav.
I agree completely. Mazda provides an incredible product as a whole. They need to stand behind their product when they have a failure such as the red paint. Better yet, they should have done appropriate testing before releasing the paint. People who pay extra for a paint deserve a better paint not an inferior paint.

Don't get me restarted with the Navigation system. I just did a 500 mile trip with both the Mazda and a new model Garmin system providing guidance. My conclusion was that the Mazda system was poor and the latest Garmin model was slightly worse (in my opinion.) I suspect the Mazda system may be better in some countries than others.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Default soul red crystal red metallic

thank you for your opinion every word helps

Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 AM

We have the gray color on our Mazda. I called Mazda Customer support before taking it to the dealer. I washed the car before dropping it off. I think I counted around 60 paint chips. The dealer called back the next day to tell us it was normal rock chips. Mazda USA support said they had not had any issues with that paint or year of the vehicle. So i left it at that. The dealer we take it to has a guy that does touch up work and from what I hear does a really good job. So Ill just go that route. I wasn't really expecting a solution since its not the red metallic paint. I hope the best for you guys that do have significant paint issues.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by edgarrain
We have the gray color on our Mazda. I called Mazda Customer support before taking it to the dealer. I washed the car before dropping it off. I think I counted around 60 paint chips. The dealer called back the next day to tell us it was normal rock chips. Mazda USA support said they had not had any issues with that paint or year of the vehicle. So i left it at that. The dealer we take it to has a guy that does touch up work and from what I hear does a really good job. So Ill just go that route. I wasn't really expecting a solution since its not the red metallic paint. I hope the best for you guys that do have significant paint issues.
Machine grey uses the same paint process as SRC metallic, so presumably it is subject to the same problem. For some reason there haven’t been near as many complaints about this color though.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Default 1 chip for every 100 miles.

Originally Posted by SweetPete
I have not yet seen any mention of the paint issue in the automotive press/blogs/etc. Kia, on the other hand, with the same type of paint problem with their new Stinger model, has formally acknowledged the problem AND has been mentioned in the press. Perhaps Mazda needs to "feel the heat" by the press? I simply don't believe that any painter can't EXACTLY match the paint job from the factory. I'm also considering hiring a automotive paint pro to come with me to inspect my car when the dealer calls me to tell me it's done. I'd like to think a pro would see non-obvious things that I would miss. But probably the most important thing to do is NOT to accept the car if there's ANYTHING wrong with the repaint, no matter how minor.

Bought a 2018 CX5 in red at the end of June. Before I’d even made the first payment I had three chips in the paint on the front side fender. It’s barely 3 months old and now I have about a dozen chips on the hood. I’ve only got 1600 miles on it as i only use it on weekends. Contacted Mazda Corp. They sent me to dealership to have it inspected. Two weeks later dealer calls and says Mazda has approved repainting the ENTIRE car. However, I can’t get anyone from Mazda Corp to answer my questions ...like what’s wrong with the paint that the entire car needs to be repainted???? And will my brand new car look the same after it’s repainted?? I’ve heard a body shop repaint will not be as good as factory. Is that true? Has anyone had their entire car repainted? Has anyone had Mazda offer anything else, like a trade in?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Tomorrow is the start of week 3 for my repaint. Dealer/body shop said it would be 3-4 weeks. Honestly don't know if they're going to repaint the entire car or just the affected panels.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Same here. Tomorrow is also my start of week 3, turned mine in the day after Labor day. Pretty sure he said they were just repainting it all. I'm hopeful since the dealership out here has a pretty serious paint shop. People I've talked to have been very happy with the work done here, so I hope I'm not disappointed. Trying to find a third party auto body painter though to go with me at pickup to go over it, doesn't hurt to be safe.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks! I haven’t decided if I’m going to let them repaint. I was told by Mazda Corp that once it’s repainted, then The factory warranty would no longer apply and I would have to deal with the body shop for any further issues. I’m in Chicago ... Mind if I ask if you’re in the US or Canada?

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic