Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Don't know specifically who you were asking, but I'm in the US - Wisconsin. I also asked my Mazda rep if the warranty issue is the case for me as well, and if I just inadvertently helped alleviate Mazda of any responsibility moving forward...

Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM

I’ve asked both the dealer’s service department and corporate some very specific questions and it’s been very challenging to get them to answer.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Hi, I was wondering if all CX-5 (Soul Red Crystal Metallic) have this paint problem. I am on the fence to buy one, but after reading about so many complains it feels like a deal breaker.
I asked my local dealer about this issue, but they told me that "ONLY A FEW" have been reported so far and I should not worry, even if something like that happens, warranty will take care of that.
I know they don't want to admit to this problem and they want to sell me their car, which I like a lot, but I don't want to deal with warranties and have in a few months new car that needs to be repainted.
Would you buy this car if you knew about this paint issue?
Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by byab
Hi, I was wondering if all CX-5 (Soul Red Crystal Metallic) have this paint problem. I am on the fence to buy one, but after reading about so many complains it feels like a deal breaker.
I asked my local dealer about this issue, but they told me that "ONLY A FEW" have been reported so far and I should not worry, even if something like that happens, warranty will take care of that.
I know they don't want to admit to this problem and they want to sell me their car, which I like a lot, but I don't want to deal with warranties and have in a few months new car that needs to be repainted.
Would you buy this car if you knew about this paint issue?
Your opinion is highly appreciated.
byab,

I consider this conversation the most compelling reason to join a Mazda forum. You have information based on dozens of the Mazda faithful that there is a problem with Mazda's red paint. As to the extent of the problem, it is clearly a significantly greater issue with the Red than other colors. My current Mazda is blue with 75,000 miles I have only a few chips and the only one that is significant enough for me to address was so deep that there is actually a dent in the hood from the impact. There are no significant discussions on the forum about any other color.

I would not buy a red Mazda at this point.

The sales person's comment that Mazda would cover it under warranty is also mentioned in this conversation. It has taken months to have some members problems addressed and others are ignored. It would not be worth the risk to me.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Earlier in the thread is a comment containing paint codes, and that the problem in theory was addressed and the one paint code from 2018 and later supposedly doesn't have the issue. My loaner from the dealer is another 2018 CX-5 with the red paint. But I didn't see any code on the door, so I can't attest if there's a different version that doesn't have the issue, but this 2018 DOES have the same issue, the hood looks horrible, tons of chips everywhere.

Since we've seen people all over with this issue, and to me, just the fact that Mazda USA *intervenes and gets work done for free* to me indicates that this is a well known issue no matter what they may try to say at dealers and such...

Personally, I wouldn't buy one until this was known to have been dealt with definitively.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM

No. If had known about this issue I would not have bought this car.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:51 PM

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM

I was at the local Mazda dealership last night with my daughter, who wants to buy a CX-5 in Soul Red Crystal. That colour costs an extra $450 (CAD), which I always saw as a price negotiating point. The sales manager told my daughter that Mazda Canada is now wrapping every new Soul Red CX-5 and CX-3 with 3M protective film - the entire car - at no cost to the buyer. The CX-5 in the showroom is wrapped.

When I asked him why, he said that Mazda wants their signature colour to remain at its best for many years. I asked him if the Soul Red paint is more fragile than the other colours but he said no, it's just a special thing for Mazda. I was skeptical so I joined this forum to see if SRC is a problem. I see that it is. So is Machine Grey Metallic, apparently.

My daughter's heart is set on the Soul Red so my question is, how long will 3M wrap last and will it actually protect the paint enough to prevent chips? If so, she might take the red and plan on changing the wrap every few years.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Default I have Soul Red 2014 Mazda 3 (5 door) and 2018 CX-5

I have had absolutely no chips caused by rocks on either. BUT, my wife has a wheelchair and I have about 2 dozen chips on the top of the back bumper of the 3 from putting it in and out. Because of that, I had them put the optional chrome strip on the CX-5 back bumper - but still have 2 chips on it already. Bought the 2018 stainless steel Mazda 3 strip for my 2014 Mazda 3 and plan on touching up the paint on both.

By the way, the single part little touch up tube from Mazda for Soul Red is useless. The paint does not match the 3 part factory Soul Red. I plan to buy the more expensive 3 part touch up paint.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MTL MX5
Mazda Canada is now wrapping every new Soul Red CX-5 and CX-3 with 3M protective film - the entire car - at no cost to the buyer.
I just got back from the Mazda dealer and checking out the Soul Red Crystal CX-5 in the showroom. I don't know how the salesman left me with the impression that the entire car was protected by PPF - it's not. (And I should know better than to believe a car salesman.) The PPF has been applied to the entire hood, the whole surface of both front fenders, the A-pillars and about 10" of the leading edge of the roof. So NOT the whole car. Still, that has to cost them several hundred dollars and they're doing it at no cost to the buyer, other than the extra cost for the Soul Red paint. They wouldn't do that unless they're hoping it prevents having to repaint a bunch of cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic