Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 03:09 PM

Blanket and general statement of fact not directed at anyone .

The post can apply to many auto manufacture vehicles and most any internal combustion gasoline fueled engine

Old 05-13-2024, 02:28 PM

Update: Last Aug (2023) I posted that I had recently had the dreaded oil consumption issue. 2021 CX-5 Turbo (GTR) with 27,000 miles. All of my oil changes have been on 6-month intervals and between 3-6k miles, below the 7.5k advice from the service manual. Took it to the dealer and told them about the valve guide TSB. They then changed the oil to get a baseline on the oil level and consumption. Said to drive it 1000 miles and check the oil. When i checked, it was a 1/2 qt low. Brought it back for them to start the diagnostic process with Mazda. BTW, the VIN is in the range covered by the TSB.

At that time the dealer advised me that Mazda would not be able to take any action as the "check oil" light was not on and i had to bring the car back when the light was on for diagnosis (which sounded like a stalling tactic to me). A few months later the light came back on but as i was in the Phoenix valley with a long hot upgrade drive home i added oil. Reported the issue to the dealer to put in my service records. No problems for a while. Dealer changed the oil on Mar 7 at 37k miles. Now at 41k miles.. Last week i was driving back home from Phoenix when the check oil light came on. I called the dealer to report and advised that i was going to add enough oil for the light to go off as i didn't want to drive with the oil light on. Took the car to the dealer last Thursday to check. They called today and told me that Mazda was going to follow the TSB and replace the valve guide under warranty.

So maybe the issue will be taken care of.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:18 PM

Sharing your symptoms, I went through a very similar diagnostic procedure. I live in IL, but frequently drive to and from Austin, TX. My low oil light always came on 1000 miles from home, while driving in very hot temperatures, for extended 75 mph trips.

Finally, I took a photograph of my dash light, topped up the oil, and then brought the car to my local dealer. They performed the TSB procedure, and all has been well since.

I trust that all will go well with you as well.............................. Frank

Old 05-13-2024, 04:26 PM

Curious, how many miles ago did they do the repair? And i guess no issues since?

We love this car but this issue has been a concern so hopefully all will be well again.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:45 PM

I'm afraid that I do not have all my service records in front of me right now. I do recall that I went through 15,000 miles (3 oil changes) of trying to get the repair approved and done. Finally, with my persistence and the photo, they agreed to the repair. Since that was done, I have accumulated 14,000 more miles (2 oil changes, with the next 1,000 miles in the future) and I have not had to add a drop of oil. In fact, my dipstick has not measured any discernable drop in oil level since the valve guides were replaced. I am currently at 29,000 miles on the odometer.

My feeling was that Mazda corporate set a specific set of conditions to be exhibited before the tsb procedure would be approved. My dealership did their best to comply with those requirements, but I was always way out of town when the light came on. The photo and the repeatability of my issue finally convinced everyone that I was being honest. The service department was great, and I've been very happy ever since.

Frank

Old 05-13-2024, 06:34 PM

Thanks. That sounds about like my experience, except my problem didn't start until more miles.I also tried the picture of the oil light but that was rejected by Mazda. Probably didn't meet their criteria as "evidence". I'm sure Mazda had some criteria to meet to qualify, and I guess they had enough evidence from me to finally accept the problem under warranty. Looks like your problem was solved, fingers crossed this is it for mine.