Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 10:01 AM

Thanks! Are all of the parts readily available to do this, or are they on allocation?

Old 03-26-2023, 12:16 PM

Both Mazda OEM and aftermarket versions appear to be available.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:38 PM
Default Beginning to rethink

Talked to service manager, and he already started to soften me up with the “that’s an 11 hour job”. They have only done “a few”, so I think I would be paying for their training. I have changed 16 valve stem seals on V8 engines twice in my life, is there something about this that makes it harder? The ones I did were tedious (they were in a full size van) but not hard. They keep telling me that was long ago, and it’s a lot more difficult now? Wanting to understand.

Also, oddly, I am embroiled in a debate with them over full oil level on the dipstick. I was told by them that the full level was at the twist in the dipstick. I said “No, it is at the top hole from the bottom of the stick”. They disagreed. I looked it up in the owners manual, it says max is the top hole and the bottom hole is low. Is there any information that supersedes the owners manual info? I don’t want to drive it overfilled, that’s not good.

Also, thanks for the info so far. Have only had the car 5 days now and still on the steep part of the learning curve

Old 03-28-2023, 02:48 PM

You likely do not have the tools required to do it as per the service advisory.
And unless MAZDA corp agrees you or you outsources the service you could lose all your drivetrain warranty.

And YES it is somewhat different then old American iron.....

I had to machine and offer a specialized tool for changing valve springs retainers and valve stem seal while the engine was in the car on a 2002-2005 4 cylinder engine I offered performance parts for.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:27 PM

I would not do it myself while the car is under warranty. And also not as a paid job after getting the quote. So will just drive it for now and watch the oil level. Hopefully, if it is good now, it will stay that way. If it’s not good, they will get another one to practice on.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scout7
I would not do it myself while the car is under warranty. And also not as a paid job after getting the quote. So will just drive it for now and watch the oil level. Hopefully, if it is good now, it will stay that way. If it’s not good, they will get another one to practice on.
The oil consumption will eventually KILL your CAT (catalytic converter) . You may want to look up the cost of a replacement before you decide to wait?
Once you see a PO420 or PO421 it may be to late in the case of this threads topic and waiting?

Last edited by Callisto; 03-29-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:03 AM

First post here after lurking for a bit. My '21 has been consuming oil since new and first realized around the ~5k mile mark. Has 15k miles now and I've added oil twice now (about 3/4 quart each time)

I will be dropping off my car tomorrow at the dealer so they can get started on the TSB repair. Unfortunately my car will be the FIRST one they will be doing the repair to which makes me uneasy...being the "practice" vehicle and all.

Wasnt expecting to go through this ordeal as a big reason for my initial purchase of this car was the fact it was still made in Japan (associated it with quality) and later in its model years so I assumed most kinks were worked out. Just my luck.

Hopefully the repair goes well but I've also seen people who have already completed the repair saying they are still having oil consumption issues

Last edited by JustAnotherRandomNPC; 04-03-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:18 AM

This issue is interesting. I too have a 21 with the 2.5T and am at about 16k miles. So far no oil consumption at all. I am hoping mine will never have the issue as it seems to show up very early if a motor is going to have it. I too was dismayed to see it crop up as the engine has been in production for so long before being used in the CX-5, but speculation is it was possibly the wrong seals used on some engines. Since they only have to take the valve cover off it isn't too involved. My concern would be for the catalytic converter, or other emissions parts later due to burning oil. Your comment about others still having the issue after the repair is concerning. I wonder what percentage of repaired engines still burn oil.

I hope your repair goes smoothly.

Last edited by chickdr19; 04-03-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JustAnotherRandomNPC
First post here after lurking for a bit. My '21 has been consuming oil since new and first realized around the ~5k mile mark. Has 15k miles now and I've added oil twice now (about 3/4 quart each time)

I will be dropping off my car tomorrow at the dealer so they can get started on the TSB repair. Unfortunately my car will be the FIRST one they will be doing the repair to which makes me uneasy...being the "practice" vehicle and all.

Wasnt expecting to go through this ordeal as a big reason for my initial purchase of this car was the fact it was still made in Japan (associated it with quality) and later in its model years so I assumed most kinks were worked out. Just my luck.

Hopefully the repair goes well but I've also seen people who have already completed the repair saying they are still having oil consumption issues
Welcome to the forum

If it helps or gives to a better peace of mind the TSB procedure is not technically challenging for any Mazda Certified Technician.
The other thing it is still unclear where all the so called bad valve stem oil seal came from? They are not all manufactured in Japan and were used in several engine assembly plants.

I suspect that this is still a rather limited number of effected engines and at this point the percentage is still less then 1% of the total possible VIN effected engines have had the upgraded valve stem seals installed.

I am still waiting to get a hold of one of those so called BAD oil seals to compare to bot the old and new design that I have in my desk drawer here at work. Seems Mazda does not want them passed out. And as this is a warranty service you as a consumer and customer cannot ask for the old parts that were removed.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:59 PM

As someone who is about to pick up their 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition with the turbo engine soon, any recommendations what to keep my eye out for? I don't feel worried considering I got the car certified from Mazda with a lot of warranty left, but I just wanted to see what I should look out for. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption