Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
At least they are working with you. The question is will the issue be solved with the TSB. Time will tell. Mine is at 18k and no issues yet. Yours is the first one I have heard coming up so late in the game which is a bummer as I thought I may be in the clear by now. I do 5k oil changes and so far have no oil consumption between.
LOL I finally was given a set of valve stem seal from an engine that was burning oil and fit the TSB?? We compared them to the new replacement Mazda OEM numbers as well did a complete measurement of the old vs new..
My personal conclusion is the design is not enough to have made any difference in oil control. My friend and business pardoner waaaaaay across 8 states away from me that is in the business of HEADS had the same conclusion.
This is not going to be technically published and if you are curious about what we found ask the service department to give you the valve stem seal they removed and do some causal measurements yourself. Good luck with getting them?
I would highly recommend that all that get the TSB mentioned procedure done is watch your oil consumption after about 5-10 miles !

If you have already 15k or more miles, it is more than likely you are in the clear!

Old 08-02-2023, 01:47 PM

Yeah, at 27k i was sure i was in the clear. The VIN number of my CX-5 is smack in the middle of the VINs that were published as potential problems so I've been watching my oil consumption closely. Too soon for me to speculate on the cause. Guess there's also a TSB on cracked cylinder heads? I'll ask the dealer to look at my engine for any signs, but haven't seen any issues with coolant level.

Not encouraging to hear that the new seals might not solve the problem..... Maybe the next phone call i get offering me an extended vehicle warranty I should listen too (not really)

Old 08-02-2023, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
LOL I finally was given a set of valve stem seal from an engine that was burning oil and fit the TSB?? We compared them to the new replacement Mazda OEM numbers as well did a complete measurement of the old vs new..
My personal conclusion is the design is not enough to have made any difference in oil control. My friend and business pardoner waaaaaay across 8 states away from me that is in the business of HEADS had the same conclusion.
This is not going to be technically published and if you are curious about what we found ask the service department to give you the valve stem seal they removed and do some causal measurements yourself. Good luck with getting them?
I would highly recommend that all that get the TSB mentioned procedure done is watch your oil consumption after about 5-10 miles !

If you have already 15k or more miles, it is more than likely you are in the clear!
I certainly hope so, but the post about the issue appearing at 27k is concerning. My question is, what is different about the seals on the cars included in the TSB from the engines which were produced starting in 2016 for the CX-9? I have not read anything saying what happened, just a TSB on how to address it. And with it being so recent, not a lot of folks have many miles after the repair to say if it has solved the issue. Hopefully AZCX5 will have it done and keep us posted afterwards.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:09 PM

For sure I'lll post updates. I'll even ask for the bad seal, if that's what it turns out to be. Maybe the dealer just forgot to use a new crush washer at the last oil change.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I certainly hope so, but the post about the issue appearing at 27k is concerning. My question is, what is different about the seals on the cars included in the TSB from the engines which were produced starting in 2016 for the CX-9? I have not read anything saying what happened, just a TSB on how to address it. And with it being so recent, not a lot of folks have many miles after the repair to say if it has solved the issue. Hopefully AZCX5 will have it done and keep us posted afterwards.
You take great care of your Mazda from all that I have read from you, if you were going to have an issue there would have been some tail tale signs by now. As for the seal let me say they are a fraction smaller in diameter and also the mating area that seal seems to have a slightly more angle. But I can't see that either of these would cure an oil consumption issue. I will see if any oil consumption usage returns from those that get the TSB procedure and if so it will no doubt be the casting and machining of the head and not the seals. You read it first here. LOL

Old 08-02-2023, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You take great care of your Mazda from all that I have read from you, if you were going to have an issue there would have been some tail tale signs by now. As for the seal let me say they are a fraction smaller in diameter and also the mating area that seal seems to have a slightly more angle. But I can't see that either of these would cure an oil consumption issue. I will see if any oil consumption usage returns from those that get the TSB procedure and if so it will no doubt be the casting and machining of the head and not the seals. You read it first here. LOL
If it turns out to be the cylinder head, this seems even more confusing so late in the production run. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. I have my eye on a CX-70 in the next couple of years if it drives as well as I expect it to, so who knows how many miles I will get on my CX-5 before I move on.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:34 PM

Maybe this is covered more recently (going slowly through the thread now old to new), but it takes a lot more than 5 minutes for the oil to drain and stop clinging (good choice of word). I've found even an hour isn't enough time, so I just check it the next morning when it's cold.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:01 PM

RalphG, this is exactly my usage of my '21 GTR. Thanks for the explanation. However, that would likely mean that the oil consumption/usage is still an issue. And, if you are correct, then the valve stem fix might not work. Has anybody had the fix done?

Old 01-06-2024, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by stgardner
RalphG, this is exactly my usage of my '21 GTR. Thanks for the explanation. However, that would likely mean that the oil consumption/usage is still an issue. And, if you are correct, then the valve stem fix might not work. Has anybody had the fix done?
There is a few reports of having it done on various Mazda forums and from what I read last (time of interest) no one has gone enough miles after the service to report accurate information.
Its hard to trust fact from fictions?

Old 01-07-2024, 08:23 AM

For sure it will take a while to know if what they do in the TSB is really a fix. Still no oil use in mine at 22k.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption