Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 09:05 AM

I had a customer the other day try to use yet another TSB as hie diagnosis for his car issue. As always I said sure we will follow the TSB if that is what you want us to do but you must sign the work order with this TSB attached your request for that service. No he is pissed at us because it was not the problem and feels he should not have to pay for the service he wanted? After a long and customer angry talk with him and him leaving pissed with his car still having the problem I handed him this information about a TSB. @ days later he retuned and not only apologized but brought donunts and coffee for the whole crew.
TSB now are frequently posted on auto forums by members . If you are going to use them then I suggest reading them completely and understand exactly what it says the service is for!
I also notice that so many are quick to post tier experience with a dealership and what their story happened is but never wanting to post the actual service write up even with personal information redacted? makes you really wonder why and what really happened?
The below information also applies to some other threads that problem have come up and the owner feels even after the warranty the auto manufacture should take care of the problem for free? So you may see this post of mine cut and past on other threads?

One source defines a TSB:
What Is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)? - CARFAX
What TSB Means & How It’s Different From a Recall

When it comes to car problems, car owners and repair shops can get two types of official warnings: recalls and TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins). The federal government mandates recalls, and recall notifications are sent to owners. Technical service bulletins are more common, but car owners often overlook them. Here is how a technical service bulletin (TSB) works and the differences between a TSB and a recall.

What Does TSB Mean?

An automaker issues a technical service bulletin (TSB) when it becomes aware of common problems with a particular make and model, often from one or more model years. Those problems may have been reported by car owners or repair shops or discovered by the automaker itself. When the automaker finds a solution to the problem, it can issue a TSB that advises its own service bays on how to fix it. These bulletins can cover issues such as faulty switches, sensor malfunctions, or unusual noises.

TSB vs. Recall: Recalls Are More Serious

A TSB typically covers parts or processes that malfunction but aren’t considered safety issues. A TSB is a voluntary repair. The manufacturer may cover the TSB repair if your car is under warranty. If not, the owner bears the cost of the repair.

Conversely, a vehicle recall is issued when a problem can result in serious injury or death. When an automaker issues a recall, it is legally required to notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the car’s owner. The owner can take the vehicle to an approved dealership and repair it for free.And another source defines a TSB in this way:
Technical Service Bulletins: What Are They? - AutotraderIf you’re searching for a used car, you may have heard the term “technical service bulletin,” or TSB. So what exactly are technical service bulletins? How will they affect your car? And how do they differ from a recall? We have a few answers to help you understand this commonly confused automotive item.

Defining Technical Service Bulletin

Many shoppers hear technical service bulletin along with “recall,” but the two are very different. A recall is a government-mandated action that requires automakers to repair a safety-related defect for free. But a TSB comes from the manufacturer to address a common defect — unrelated to safety — in a particular vehicle. TSB repairs aren’t necessarily done for free. Instead, the bulletin simply provides dealerships with guidance on how to repair a common problem.

How Do I Find TSBs?

While recalls are posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website, technical service bulletins can be harder to track down. Our advice: Once you’ve narrowed your search to the vehicle you want, call the dealership to see if there are any technical service bulletins for that car. If there are, you’ll want the dealership — or a mechanic — to check and see if they’ve been performed.

Paying for TSB Repairs

The main reason it’s important to see if any technical service bulletins have been addressed before buying a car is that you may have to pay for TSB repairs. That’s different from recalls, which are performed for free.

Sometimes, however, TSB repairs are done free of charge. This is always the case when a car is under warranty, and sometimes even if the car is out of warranty. If you’re buying a used car, you’ll have to check with your dealership to see if any outstanding TSBs will result in out-of-pocket costs.

Should I Buy a Car With TSBs?

Technical service bulletins are common in the auto industry, so we don’t suggest you pass on a car just because it has a TSB. We do suggest discovering what TSBs relate to the car you want before you buy it. That way, you can negotiate with the seller in case you have to pay for repairs.
yet another with a little twist in the definition:
Are Technical Service Bulletins a token for free repairs? | Driving

Are Technical Service Bulletins a token for free repairs?

Although they're sometimes a secret, TSBs could hold the key to updated repair data

For just about every type of vehicle on the road today, their manufactures have issued dozens and sometimes hundreds of technical service bulletins to dealership service departments. Some of the topics are rather mundane and inconsequential, such as new audio system software to improve station scanning or instructions on how to tighten a door seal contact to reduce wind-noise. But some represent safety concerns such as rear lift-gate glass hinges binding causing the window to shatter or rear brake caliper frame faults that prematurely wear out brake linings. Some TSB’s indicate that certain components will benefit from extended warranties while others carry the tag-line; “reimbursable only within the terms of the factory warranty”. But all of them have one thing in common — vehicle owners will never see them because they are issued to authorized dealerships only.
Many consumers, when they learn that a particular problem they’re having with their vehicle is the topic of a TSB, will ask if the automaker will cover the costs of the repairs (when the auto is beyond the terms of the warranty). Most are disappointed when they are told that the repairs will not be covered beyond the guarantee. If you ask an automaker’s service and parts representative why not, you’ll usually get the stock answer; “TSB’s are simply our instructions to dealership technicians for a specific repair process and do not represent any admission of liability.” What’s closer to the truth is that automakers are trying to control their costs and if every customer received all the TSB’s issued on their vehicle, those costs would escalate dramatically.
In the U.S. earlier this year, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers announced an agreement to create a national standard that would see independent repair shops have access to the same repair information that automakers provide their own authorized dealerships. This was negotiated after Massachusetts passed a ‘right to repair’ law last year and several other states announced their intention to enact similar legislation. Automakers and indie repair centers took this action to avoid operating under a patchwork of varying state legislation. The Massachusetts law also specified that automakers must offer a nonproprietary interface for diagnosing problems with vehicles, starting in the 2018 model year.

Canadian automakers are developing a similar model and its detractors state that unless these issues are enshrined in legislation, consumers will still be faced with limited choices when it comes to certain vehicle repairs and diagnoses. Proponents of the status-quo argue that dealers will suffer financial losses as more vehicles move to indie repair centres when the warranty expires.

For consumers, there are several ways to keep on top of TSB updates and how they apply to their vehicles. Owners can work with their selling dealers to ensure that they receive the full benefit of up-to-date repair data. When dealing with an indie or non-OEM repair centre, make sure these shops have access to manufacturer data through professional technical subscription websites such as All-Data or Mitchell-On-Demand. Do-it-yourselfers can join specific vehicle model owner’s web sites where on-line discussion forums can be a great source of information. Be aware that with the latter, there is no guarantee of information accuracy or applicability.
When TSB repairs crop up beyond the manufacturer’s warranty coverage, the first line of assistance can be found at the dealership service department. But proceed with caution. If you haven’t frequented your dealer’s service or parts departments for retail maintenance or repair work, you may not find a willing hand of help. You may also have to adjust your expectations; just because a $30 repair is the topic of a number of TSB’s, it doesn’t mean that you won’t have to pay for it when your vehicle is 4 years old with 80,000 kilometres on it. But if a major safety or operational system is involved with substantial repair costs on a vehicle less than five years old with fewer than 100,000 kilometres (on average), be prepared to take your case up the food chain to the manufacturer’s customer service line if needed.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:52 AM

I don't understand how you would have a customer at an independent shop, this is what you have, correct? - present a TSB and expect it to be free. Can you do warranty work? I always assumed this had to be done exclusively at a dealership. Just curious.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I don't understand how you would have a customer at an independent shop, this is what you have, correct? - present a TSB and expect it to be free. Can you do warranty work? I always assumed this had to be done exclusively at a dealership. Just curious.
I have a contract with a few dealerships approved by the a few auto manufactures (also 2 motorcycle manufactures) to do warranty work. SEE thread to understand how this can be done* However, Mazda is reluctant to allow this. LOL even on my own MAZDA when I change the BCM under a recall they will not remove it from the recall list?
There is actually a cluse regarding I believe auto manufacture regarding who can perform warranty work and it is not all strictly by a dealer. I would rather not post how this is, but I think more intelligent individuals can figure the answer?

As for TSB more of our customers that are out of warranty but seem to want to point out what they think is their problem by finding a TSB on the internet. And like I also have posted in the past they are not experienced and don't really understand them. Most read between the lines. You may notice the disclaimer I often mention is on every page of a TSB.

* What do you do or have done for a living - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 01-08-2024, 03:07 PM

I have noticed, LOL. I was not aware an indie shop could do warranty work. Very interesting. I am sure you have to prove expertise in the brand you are allowed to do the work on.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:17 PM

I have noticed, LOL. I was not aware an indie shop could do warranty work. Very interesting. I am sure you have to prove expertise in the brand you are allowed to do the work on.
haha funny guy....
It is not uncommon just not really publicized. Where you going to go to a dealer for warranty work in many parts of the US and other countries that you would need to travel several hundred miles to get to one. The other thing is not all dealerships have the capacity to do every kind of service or service warranty work. So, the dealership must go to independent service shops that can do the service.
You must have a few years reportable experience (which I do, ASE requires it as well) , it helps if you worked in service capacity at some dealership and I have. If ask will do at least the written Dealer Automotive technician test. I was never asked by any to actually take any test. But would have if ever asked and they paid any of the expenses. ASE testing is both broader and more intense than most auto manufactures certification programs.

ASE Certified Automotive Technicians have a certification number when we pass. The number is on record that can be accessed with the permission of the holder showing all the certification information as well shows what categories the certification represents. In my case ASE Automotive Technician L1, L2 certification for 30+ years and current. I seldom use the L2 because I just don't like diesels. LOL I have been reading about the next category which will be for Hybrids and all electric vehicles. I will pass on that one as well. The only electric motors I want to work on is my HO cars and HO trains LOL Besides I am tired of testing and having to buy more new tools and diagnostic equipment to keep up with technology. In other words, I am content with full retirement! At least working on other people vehicles in the service upkeep business. Performance is another animal altogether.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-08-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:48 PM
Default White smoke from exhaust when throttle floored

I have a very nice 2021 CX5 turbo which seems to burn about a quart in 4000 miles. Odometer is about `17000 miles. The car runs and drives perfectly but I am concerned about the white smoke when throttle is opened. This only happens after normal cruising for several minutes, then hard acceleration. Does this seem like oil pooling somewhere then gets blown out the exhaust when driven hard? This is a leased car which I was intending to purchase but if I'm already facing a problem, I'll let it go at lease end.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Mitch

Old 01-11-2024, 01:57 PM

Definitely an issue imho. That is not normal at all. My 21 turbo has not burned a drop in 23k. It needs the TSB done.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:26 PM

Definitely an issue imho. That is not normal at all. My 21 turbo has not burned a drop in 23k. It needs the TSB done.
Relating to oil consumption (not leaking) in high volume of more than a measurable QT in 5kmiles or less.
Oil in an engine that is consuming it will have semi carboned or oil on the spark plugs, very wet oil residue inside the tail pipe and will burn black not white smoke when acerating. The power will be lower as well the MPG. Measuring at the OBDII diagnostic connector, to name a few of about 40 plus PIDS that will change based on oil consumption the more predominate ones are, knock values will be increased, ignition timing will be lower(less advance total), there will be inconsistent coolant temperatures because oil in the combustion chamber will raise the CR.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:36 AM

Same here. I'm at like 34k miles and haven't noticed any oil burning with my '21 Carbon Edition Turbo. I'd get that car to the dealer under warranty ASAP and have it fixed while it's still free.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Relating to oil consumption (not leaking) in high volume of more than a measurable QT in 5kmiles or less.
Oil in an engine that is consuming it will have semi carboned or oil on the spark plugs, very wet oil residue inside the tail pipe and will burn black not white smoke when acerating. The power will be lower as well the MPG. Measuring at the OBDII diagnostic connector, to name a few of about 40 plus PIDS that will change based on oil consumption the more predominate ones are, knock values will be increased, ignition timing will be lower(less advance total), there will be inconsistent coolant temperatures because oil in the combustion chamber will raise the CR.
Are you saying my comment is incorrect? Just curious why you responded to me rather than the poster who asked if the issue was a concern.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption