Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 10:55 AM

I alway know who the PIA customers are and I am sure there is one member that is well known in his area as one! LOL

TSBs (they are not re-calls safety or otherwise) clearly state that they are not for public use....
Why because many like some members on this forum have no understanding the purpose and what they are for. LOL

I must mention again that this is a MAZDA forum and a thread about MAZDA's , comparing other makes is not only technically unsupportive regarding this threads topic but inaccurate unless they are using the snap power plants and running gears. VW as far as I am aware of does not use MAZDA engines or transmissions.... LOL

Old 12-12-2022, 03:44 PM
mmk

I've been monitoring this thread on and off as my 2021 CE popped the light back in May at 4600 miles. The dealership suggested that I bring it in every 1000 miles for an oil consumption study, but quite frankly this isn't feasible since it's 30 minutes away and the one time I brought it in, they were too busy to look at it. When they eventually looked at it they said they added somewhere between a quarter and a half quart of oil and that this was normal. This was ~6600 miles. I am at about 9400 miles now and due for an oil change soon. Is this something that Mazda is covering for free under this TSB or no?

Old 12-12-2022, 04:06 PM
Default Mazda 2021 cx 5 Turbo oil consumption

Originally Posted by Callisto
I alway know who the PIA customers are and I am sure there is one member that is well known in his area as one! LOL

TSBs (they are not re-calls safety or otherwise) clearly state that they are not for public use....
Why because many like some members on this forum have no understanding the purpose and what they are for. LOL

I must mention again that this is a MAZDA forum and a thread about MAZDA's , comparing other makes is not only technically unsupportive regarding this threads topic but inaccurate unless they are using the snap power plants and running gears. VW as far as I am aware of does not use MAZDA engines or transmissions.... LOL
======
I have a Mazda cx5 turbo signature purchased September 2022. It is called a 2021.5 model.
It has had 2 synthetic oil changes and it has so far taken about 3/4 lire the first time at 5000km and at 9800km another 1/2 quart in December 2022
i do not drive much and not very aggressively, as only local driving in Ontario, Canada. So far no low engine oil light or any issues.
i am wondering if this also needs new oil stems as per TSB? Will dealer do anything as no problem demonstrated by car? Can Techy advise.

ALSO See my Mazda Connect App expiring renewal fee $600 comment in forum. If you have any feedback, let me know.
Thank you

Old 12-12-2022, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by mmk
Is this something that Mazda is covering for free under this TSB or no?
That would not be under a TSB for any platform and any reported incident.
TSB are designed for and often updated as more see a issue or find that a TSB was not complete or accurate. That is another reason why they are not for the general public.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus
======
I have a Mazda cx5 turbo signature purchased September 2022. It is called a 2021.5 model.

i am wondering if this also needs new oil stems as per TSB? Will dealer do anything as no problem demonstrated by car? Can Techy advise.

ALSO See my Mazda Connect App expiring renewal fee $600 comment in forum. If you have any feedback, let me know.
Thank you
The production date which is the month and year located in your driver's door tells you when your vehicle was built. That information and the VIN will add to the exact information to tell you your Mazda model. There is more explanation if needed? But that is the basic. There are actually very few ever mid production vehicles that had the title of 1/2 I am only aware of one and that was an actual production car and that is the 1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro. I know I have owned a few.

The best advice is as I have recommended to go to a dealership and log the concern on your VIN.

I will add that most do not understand or properly check the oil level in an engine. If you are trying to see exactly the level for a reference of oil use then it must be done when the engine is completely cold. Preferably overnight and checked the first thing in the morning. Any other way will not really be accurate to determine oil loss due to burning. Unless the oil burning is so bad it will show at the tail pipe and poor engine running quality.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:38 PM
mmk

That would not be under a TSB for any platform and any reported incident.
TSB are designed for and often updated as more see a issue or find that a TSB was not complete or accurate. That is another reason why they are not for the general public.
Yeah this makes sense. This article popped up for me via the Google News algorithm which claims to quote the TSB re: free oil replacement. No idea where they are pulling that from. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

Old 12-16-2022, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mmk
Yeah this makes sense. This article popped up for me via the Google News algorithm which claims to quote the TSB re: free oil replacement. No idea where they are pulling that from. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

This has been a topic in Counterman Magazine about the TSB being so available to find by none professionals like DIY and owners of vehicles. . For one thing the article reads TSB do not have checks and balances. A TSB can be written and found inaccurate but there is no system to correct or update a TSB. Some TSB have dozens of revisions and yet not many actually become recalls by any auto manufacture based on a TSB. A TSB are suggestions for the most part to help resolve some not all problems, and these are also not checked for accuracy or updated regularly. Even if found a different solution better than the original TSB. So, the article goes on and even showing how they are often disallowed as evidence in class action suits because they are not certified as absolute solution or valid solution to a problem that was found. All this is why seeing more now than ever members on various forums that use a TSB to solve their problem they may have, or they think applies to them are not being looked at as evidence in the legal world. The disclaimer on TSB also clearly words not for use except by authorized people. Why because they are really full of suggestion and not absolute certified correction. So for me I will continue to point out a TSB is not the best information and that using it as a tool in the face of a dealership may get you resistance to helping you instead of helping you.
If more worded that they read about a concern instead of using only the TSB IMHO would carry more for dealerships to give you more attentive customer service?

Old 12-16-2022, 01:57 PM

What a ridiculous statement! So if you aren't an ASE certified technician you have no business reading a TSB? Good luck making this happen with the age of the internet...

Old 12-16-2022, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
What a ridiculous statement! So if you aren't an ASE certified technician you have no business reading a TSB? Good luck making this happen with the age of the internet...
That not what I said your reading comprehension is equal to that of a (censored) year old. LOL

Look at a TSB and read the what it says about the legal use of it. LOL

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB-01-013-21.pdf (948.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-17-2022, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
What Cali was saying is people can read anything they want.
We all know understanding what one reads is very subjective depending on the individual.
He also pointed out the clause that TSB's clearly state they are not for DIY.
Which is a clear example that not everyone has the same comprehension and reading skills.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption