Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:06 AM

This problem is limited to 2021 2.5 Turbo's produced before September 14, 2921. Not impacted by driving habits.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by scturner46
This problem is limited to 2021 2.5 Turbo's produced before September 14, 2921. Not impacted by driving habits.
Umm not sure how that statement relates but I can say that there has been NO determination from MAZDA what the absolute causes at this date are and all input could a factor even "driving habits" until it the causes has been determined?

Old 11-30-2022, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You engine as well other members engine is not completely broken in until closer the 15-20 miles. Driving aggressively would not really cause the current reported oil consumption issues. Nor does the type of oil viscosity or interval of changing effect the reported problems as long as at least the service schedule was met. As of this date it is still well under the 1% total production of the engines built. Forums seem to repeat the same people reporting it which drastically confuses the actual numbers.
Thank you for your response, Callisto. I didn't realize it took 15K to 20K miles to break in these engines. I've now got just 11K miles on it and am quite happy with it. At what point do you think I might experience increased oil consumption?

Old 11-30-2022, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
Thank you for your response, Callisto. I didn't realize it took 15K to 20K miles to break in these engines. I've now got just 11K miles on it and am quite happy with it. At what point do you think I might experience increased oil consumption?
Sorry unfortunately there is not enough real data to make any guess. Honestly drive your Mazda don't worry about something that has not happened and just keep an eye on the oil as I suggested. Forums are basically members that are not professional's and like to post in a group of like people. On this forum we have at least 2 that are in the business grim reaper (also our moderator) is a certified Mazda Technician and Iam a Ase certified master technician. We both enjoy our Mazda and also to help member of this forum and owners when we can.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:52 AM

There are several members on this forum alone who had oil consumption issues show up at well under 10k miles so we don't have a set figure as to when this problem may rear its head. Mine is at 13k and as of yet I have not seen any oil consumption. My question is, do I try and have the TSB done, or just wait and see? Not sure if it would be approved anyway without demonstration of the motor burning oil.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
There are several members on this forum alone who had oil consumption issues show up at well under 10k miles so we don't have a set figure as to when this problem may rear its head. Mine is at 13k and as of yet I have not seen any oil consumption. My question is, do I try and have the TSB done, or just wait and see? Not sure if it would be approved anyway without demonstration of the motor burning oil.
I wondered where you have been. You seem to be absent on this and another forum lately LOL
None I repeat none have actually been confirmed using oil and almost none who went to Mazda had them recorded and shown loss by Mazda while being serviced. Continuing to post forum information from so few does not make it an epidemic!
You also still do not understand what a TSB is used for. It's not for you as a consumer and NO you don't get the choice to have it done. That is unless you want to pay for it! That decision is up to either the dealership wanting to cover the cost if Mazda Corp denies the service work or if Mazda Corp considers your personal concern and authorizes the service.
This is why TSB information is bad for DIY on forums. LOL

I get tired but will continue to post when a TSB is mentioned and used as a tool from members on any forum whom do not understand what they are and who they intended for.! And its not none auto manufacture automotive trained mechanic or technicians. If you all read the complete TSB you will see that there is a disclaimer and information exactly about the use of them and who should be using them!!!

Trust me I get at least a customer every other week that brings me a copy of a TSB and tells me how to fix his vehicle. I point to an empty service bay and tell them with a release of liability insurance document you can use the bay and the tools to fix your own car because you seem to think you know what's wrong with it and how to fix it!!! LOL

Old 12-10-2022, 11:19 AM

So, my 2021 Signature Turbo was at the dealer (where I bought the car) yesterday, for 25k preventive maintenance. I pointed out that I had had to add oil 3,330 miles after my 20k oil change, as I did about 3k miles after my 15k oil change, and as I did approximately 3k miles after my 10k oil change. All (3) incidences are documented on service paperwork.

The Service Manager made an (unsolicited) point of telling me that the turbo models are exhibiting this behaviour, and that there is a TSB addressing it. He further told me that he was ordering the parts for the TSB work, should I experience this phenomenon again, before my 20k PM.

So, I will likely have to consider the same choice that chickdr19 contemplates....... whether to continue to add oil every 3k miles or so (no big deal, but I also understand that this phenomenon may be contributing to carbon build up on my exhaust valves), or trust my car to have the TSB properly applied, without possibly causing some other mechanical issue. The Service Manger assures me that his shop has done this procedure a number of times, and that it is no big deal for his trained technicians. However, I don't think that this particular dealership has sold even 100 Turbo model cars, so it brings into question the earlier quoted occurrence of <1% of these motors exhibiting this problem. Seems it may be a higher portion of the 2021 models.

Just relating my experience with a very honest and proactive dealership............................... Frank

Old 12-10-2022, 11:26 AM

Frank.... piece of mind goes a long way. Your Mazda I am sure is important to you so if that dealership is willing to do the procedure, I would go for it!
The concern you have of carbon on the exhaust vales is a good thought, but I assure you they get hot enough that carbon build up above "normal" would not be a problem even if you did use a little oil. We have logged the EGT's(exhaust gas temperatures) on several Skyactiv NA and Turbocharged engine and they get well hot enough to keep the exhaust valve clean.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:34 AM

Duly noted. Thanks......................

Old 12-12-2022, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I wondered where you have been. You seem to be absent on this and another forum lately LOL
None I repeat none have actually been confirmed using oil and almost none who went to Mazda had them recorded and shown loss by Mazda while being serviced. Continuing to post forum information from so few does not make it an epidemic!
You also still do not understand what a TSB is used for. It's not for you as a consumer and NO you don't get the choice to have it done. That is unless you want to pay for it! That decision is up to either the dealership wanting to cover the cost if Mazda Corp denies the service work or if Mazda Corp considers your personal concern and authorizes the service.
This is why TSB information is bad for DIY on forums. LOL

I get tired but will continue to post when a TSB is mentioned and used as a tool from members on any forum whom do not understand what they are and who they intended for.! And its not none auto manufacture automotive trained mechanic or technicians. If you all read the complete TSB you will see that there is a disclaimer and information exactly about the use of them and who should be using them!!!

Trust me I get at least a customer every other week that brings me a copy of a TSB and tells me how to fix his vehicle. I point to an empty service bay and tell them with a release of liability insurance document you can use the bay and the tools to fix your own car because you seem to think you know what's wrong with it and how to fix it!!! LOL
I was out of town for a week so haven't been posting

I know very well how a TSB works... I have been getting them done for years. In fact this is how I was able to finally get my car reprogrammed for the cold weather power loss as the dealer kept telling me it wouldn't happen in the south. I ended up telling them my car was driven to the northern states regularly and I experienced the issue at that time. They would never be able to make my CX-5 have the issue in Georgia as it rarely gets cold enough. That was the key to having it done.

You have to come to the dealer with your particular car demonstrating the issue in the TSB to have it approved (or be able to give the dealer the right description of your issue) . I had a new 2004 VW Touareg which was a nightmare with all the issues it had. In order to get many of the things addressed one had to word the issue exactly as it was in the TSB. It was a godsend to have access to the TSB's online as then you knew what to say to get it performed.

I never said the oil consumption issue in the 2.5T is an "epidemic". In fact, I said it hasn't happened in my car as of yet. As the poster above stated, his particular motor has been burning oil since 10k miles so obviously it does occur very quickly in some cases. His post alone contradicts what you said above: "None I repeat none have actually been confirmed using oil and almost none who went to Mazda had them recorded and shown loss by Mazda while being serviced." His car is doing exactly what you said and it HAS been documented at his dealer...

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption