Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 08:02 AM
Default Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

????????? WTF????

Mazda Oil Consumption TSB Turbo Engines
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, TIRES, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10202685
Manufacturer Communication Number: 01-012-21-3832

5 Affected Products
Vehicles
MAKE MODEL YEAR
MAZDA CX-30 2021
MAZDA CX-5 2021
MAZDA CX-9 2021
MAZDA MAZDA3 2021
MAZDA MAZDA6 2021

Summary
Some vehicles may have a LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory. DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low. Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn't appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 - 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 AM

I own a turbocharged 2021 CX-5, it's just turned 7,800 miles. I'll keep checking the oil, but haven't noted any consumption. Valve stem seal replacement used to be an easy fix, but that was before overhead cams and emission equipment complicated things.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 AM

Well, if it does result in a recall, I imagine the complexity will be the Dealer's problem. My NON-TURBO 2021 Mazda CX-5 was at the 'Minimum' reading on the dipstick at 3K miles I didn't carefully check the dipstick when I drove it off the Dealer's lot but I suspect it is down a quart after 3K miles. I am watching it closely now.

Can the oil usage during the initial break-in period differ from subsequent experience after initial oil-change? In other words, could my initial break-in period experience be an anomaly?

Old 01-10-2022, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
Well, if it does result in a recall, I imagine the complexity will be the Dealer's problem. My NON-TURBO 2021 Mazda CX-5 was at the 'Minimum' reading on the dipstick at 3K miles I didn't carefully check the dipstick when I drove it off the Dealer's lot but I suspect it is down a quart after 3K miles. I am watching it closely now.

Can the oil usage during the initial break-in period differ from subsequent experience after initial oil-change? In other words, could my initial break-in period experience be an anomaly?
If you did not check your oil when you first got your MAZDA *you have no established reference point. And how you checked it can have a difference between the low, mid and top lin on the dip stick. ALL by the way are well within the operating limits of oil capacity. In fact, as long as the oil "touches " the dip stick there is enough oil in the sump to safely operate the engine in anything except extended high RPM as in competition racing.
The piston oil rings, or scrappers are usually with most production engine like MAZDA not affected by production engine break in period for oil control into the combustion chambers. You should not be bypassing oil from mile one to mile 35k. Oil burning in the cylinders enough that is is showing a drop on the dipstick (*assuming a DELTA was created during the first oil check) is always a concern or at least should be checked on new engine less then 35k miles.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-10-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:29 AM

Thank you Callisto. Your comments are always on point. Just a few further thoughts:

1. I did actually pull the dipstick after taking the car home and the oil appeared to be OVER the max line somewhat. I did not carefully focus on it as I did not think the Manufacturer had grossly over-filled, but I did not get a very precise reading.

2. Will certainly carefully follow oil level from now on and make sure method/timing/etc. of taking reading is consistent

3. Source of information (Torque News) regarding TSB implies that problem may be valve stem seal. If so, can I assume oil that slips past the seal is ending up in combustion chamber?

Thank you very much, Reuben

Old 01-10-2022, 11:44 AM

Oil in the combustion chamber will show at the tail pipe and you can easily remove the spark plugs and examine them.
TSB's will worry a owner to death. It may be like being an Automotive hypochondriac. hahahaha

Old 01-10-2022, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
TSB's will worry a owner to death. It may be like being an Automotive hypochondriac. hahahaha
I thought that was the purpose of automotive forums lolol.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:44 AM
Thumbs up Thumbs up on your response "funny"

Originally Posted by AZCX5
I thought that was the purpose of automotive forums lolol.
Thats funny ^^^^ lol

Old 01-13-2022, 10:07 AM

Have 2021 Touring CX5.
Have the same problem with oil level going low after 3000 miles.
Never had this problem in my ever 70 years of buying cars.
Brand new car.
Don't they check out their cars before selling or putting out for sale.
A shame on Mazda big time.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by LM123xyz
Have 2021 Touring CX5.
Have the same problem with oil level going low after 3000 miles.
Never had this problem in my ever 70 years of buying cars.
Brand new car.
Don't they check out their cars before selling or putting out for sale.
A shame on Mazda big time.
That makes you what about 85-90 years old...
WT(Frick) really. So in the perfect world every vehicle ever manufactured never had production problems? Not one vehicle manufactures engine ever had head casting issue EVER in 70 years.
ROLMAO. What world do you live in cuzzz it ain't most of ours!

I can name one engine off the top of my "head" (get it head LOL ) .... Chrysler early head casting 2.4 around 1999 early 2002 oil control issues.
Also Chevy Vega but I don't remember the years.

I would normally welcome new members but NOT one that joins and started negative response on their # 1 post on this forum about the vehicles we own and love MAZDA!

Last edited by Callisto; 01-13-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption