Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
This thread is talking about the oil consumption problem, specifically in the 2021 Turbos. So when you wrote 'the issue', anyone seeing that in this thread would naturally assume you were referring to oil consumption, not the head problems. Not trying to pick apart what you wrote, because there's WAY too much of that $hit already on this forum. Just trying to set the record straight for anyone trying to find out about oil consumption in Mazda vehicles.
I was answering the poster who asked about a 21 NA motor. Obviously not related to the issue in THIS thread but wanted them to know there was an oil issue in the NA motor just not in 21s (at least so far...)

Old 11-26-2022, 09:05 AM

One important thought , the oil type if it be synthetic or none synthetic (not bean or nondetergent) has nothing currently to do with any oil consumption issues with ANY gas production engine from any of the major auto manufactures. This include engines that are Super charged ot Turbocharged induction systems.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-26-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 AM

No a black eye is my sons Ford Bronco that can develop cracked fuel injectors and burn to the ground ... Burning oil seems so common now in all of these cars (not just Mazda) , The push
to save on parts and very small mpg gains perhaps?

Old 11-29-2022, 11:14 PM

I've had no oil consumption issues in my '21 CX-5 Turbo in over 10K miles. Am I just lucky or are the oil consuming cars being driven aggressively?

Old 11-30-2022, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zingowner
I've had no oil consumption issues in my '21 CX-5 Turbo in over 10K miles. Am I just lucky or are the oil consuming cars being driven aggressively?
Based on reports from another forum, posted by owners of these affected vehicles, it appears likely that this particular oil consumption issue has some unusual circumstances (nothing related to aggressive driving however).

At what mileage(s) was the oil changed, how often do you check the oil level, and did you check the level when brand new and also after the oil change(s)?

Old 11-30-2022, 09:51 AM

My '21 2.5T also has yet to show oil consumption issues. We change the oil every 5k and I check it in between periodically. Currently at just under 13k.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:30 AM

You engine as well other members engine is not completely broken in until closer the 15-20 miles. Driving aggressively would not really cause the current reported oil consumption issues. Nor does the type of oil viscosity or interval of changing effect the reported problems as long as at least the service schedule was met. As of this date it is still well under the 1% total production of the engines built. Forums seem to repeat the same people reporting it which drastically confuses the actual numbers.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:47 AM
Default Tsb 01-012/21

I became aware of this issue when I was a quart low at 4000 miles. I had it checked and was told all was O.K. I continue to lose oil at this rate and I bring it to the dealer's attention with each oil change. I also check periodically to see if Mazda has identified a fix. On November 21 I was told a repair has been identified and took my car to the dealer. I was notified a few days later that my repair could not be made, since the diagnosis did not report the “code” for this issue. It was explained this was due to the oil level not being low.

Since my car was at the dealer, I contacted Mazda Support to see if they could provide an approval for the repair. It turned out the answer was no.

I have been directed to continue to drive, and when the oil light comes on, take it to the dealer, and a diagnosis should provide the code. Since the oil change, I am about a quarter of a quart over "full," I will need to drive about 5000 miles and then take it back. BTW, round trip to my dealer is about 1 ½ hour.

This is customer service???

Old 11-30-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Subperson
No a black eye is my sons Ford Bronco that can develop cracked fuel injectors and burn to the ground ... Burning oil seems so common now in all of these cars (not just Mazda) ,The push
to save on parts and very small mpg gains
perhaps?
Sorry to read the loss of your sons Bronco ....
The Ford Broncos of all years were well built. There was a factory recall for some fuel injectors in which case owners should have returned to FORD asap and had them taken care of? I have many friends that own them, and I frequently help out with a few Northern Ca off Road clubs that Broncos are some of the most owned. There were a couple that had fuel injector issues and had Ford take care of them before they leaked and became potentially dangerous. The recall was also published nationwide, and owners were sent several recall notices. It was also mentioned on several news media radio, TV. and even published magazines and newspapers.

As for the blanket unsubstantiated statement about saving "The push to save on parts and very small mpg gains" this is not really an accurate by any means. The materials and the type of manufacturing in the last decade are superior to any other past time in auto manufacturing.... EVER!

Old 11-30-2022, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by scturner46
I became aware of this issue when I was a quart low at 4000 miles. I had it checked and was told all was O.K. I continue to lose oil at this rate and I bring it to the dealer's attention with each oil change. I also check periodically to see if Mazda has identified a fix. On November 21 I was told a repair has been identified and took my car to the dealer. I was notified a few days later that my repair could not be made, since the diagnosis did not report the “code” for this issue. It was explained this was due to the oil level not being low.

Since my car was at the dealer, I contacted Mazda Support to see if they could provide an approval for the repair. It turned out the answer was no.

I have been directed to continue to drive, and when the oil light comes on, take it to the dealer, and a diagnosis should provide the code. Since the oil change, I am about a quarter of a quart over "full," I will need to drive about 5000 miles and then take it back. BTW, round trip to my dealer is about 1 ½ hour.

This is customer service???
Ok so you do understand that the dip stick has a LOW and FULL mark that indicates the operation range of the oil. That means that even at the low lin on the dip stick it is still NORMAL! The oil would need to be almost or completely off the dipstick to register a DTC engine check light. Just an FYI. The dip stick is the most misunderstood on various forum because so many think OLD SCHOLL how to read them!

As long as your VIN when you visited the dealership was used to register your service that is the documentation you need should a serios problem arise.

I also recommend that you DONT fill above the FULL or top line of your dip stick. That itself could void your engine warranty should it be discovered!

As for the concern about the oil.... the ECU will generate the engine check light along with a DTC well before the any engine damage can happen. I would however if you are using oil to monitor it every 500 miles and when you are close to the lower mark keep a closer check on the oil level so that when you are staring to go below the line to be prepared to go to your dealer.

The dealer as well MAZDA Corp is giving you good customer service ....just because you don't like the outcome doe not mean they are not giving good customer service.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption