Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Noise After Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 04:56 PM
pbs

Originally Posted by Callisto
OMG where to start lot of interesting information.

Basically as I suggested if your not happy with the service take it to a Firestone for a brake inspection and see if they find the mytry noise!
I'll consider it after getting it back.

That tad bit of information perhaps important in the beginning to post. But forward and reverse brake pad noise has a whole different meaning and as it was continued in both attempts to cure it.

not herd by the dealership also supports at this point to have your brakes system, chassis and suspension independently evaluated.
Based on what are you assuming they haven't heard it? I've taken them for a ride along so they can hear it, and I've shown them the recording that the attached audio file is from. They heard it in their own testing in previous visits. Regarding why they don't hear anything after service, I've explained that they liberally coat everything in brake quiet which wears off.

The pulse of the noise is proportional to the speed the brakes are applied at and it repeats. I doubt the noise would behave as it does if it was the chassis or suspension.

Thank you for posting the vital service information.
You're welcome.

Apparently they replaced the rotors with aftermarket parts, they're going to try using OEM.

Last edited by pbs; 10-03-2023 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added new info
Old 10-03-2023, 05:09 PM

Well you have done more than most on a forum when I request information. But unfortunately at least for me and *I don't "guess" when it comes to concerns and problems on an internet forum about brakes. At this point the resolve must be with someone that knows what they are doing in the real world and not on a forum where the technical Q&A is at its limits. At least for me. I am sure if enough members on forums guess at a resolve the odds are some hero will get the prize of correctly guessing and solving the problem.

*ASE

Old 10-03-2023, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by pbs
I'll consider it after getting it back.

Apparently they replaced the rotors with aftermarket parts, they're going to try using OEM.
becuse you edited after I responded I used only that part in your quote.
The audio noise although really bad and no one that is a professional would use it (in other words polite would be to listen to it which I am sure they did) but now swapping rotors with the information you already posted and from the service report they are reaching for a resolve now IMHO. There are several technical and procedural that was done that I can conclude that. But it's your time and their dime!

Its business like this that give aftermarket parts a bad name on forums and with general public. I am pretty sure that they used a local part distributor for the rotors that would not carry generic brand brake parts. Besides you can ask the dealership what brand was used but I am pretty sure their response will be "no name brand" form their distributor. It saves problems with that answer.

In our shop the quality of the brake parts as an example is directly related to the customers price range for a service. So in a way they choose the brand parts in some cases. I know you cant really do that at a dealership but a good service shop should offer price point parts depending on brand and warranty to their customers?

Old 10-09-2023, 06:07 PM
pbs

After I got it back it's been a lot quieter, still some squeal when I back up but mostly quiet moving forward now. We'll see how it goes with more time I guess.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by pbs
I took my 2019 CX-5 for service at a local dealership several months ago where they turned my rotors and replaced my brake pads. Ever since their work I've been having a lot of issues with noise from my front brakes.

I've visited the dealership three times since my initial service trying to get the issue resolved, yet it persists, and in fact may well be worse than ever. During one visit they turned the rotors again, my most recent visit they replaced the front rotors entirely. Aside from a rather voluminous application of brake quiet, I don't know what else they've tried.

Prior to my latest visit it was mainly just a noise, now it can be felt as well.

Anyone have any ideas what they might've done or what the issue could be? I'm not thrilled by the idea of a 4th or 5th visit.

I've attached an audio recording I was able to take of the noise they make when braking while moving forward, if I apply them while moving in reverse they just squeal.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have.
There is a Technical Service bulletin #04-001/22 and it affects CX5 model years 2018- 2022, that may address this issue.
There is a space between the brake pad retainer clip and the brake pad mount. (In my opinion, very poor engineering). Due to this space, the brake pad moves around and makes clicking noises especially when shifting from park to reverse to drive, etc.
It started on my car right after I changed out the front brake pads. There is a fix for it and the fix is to install fiber/paper pads ( not brake pads) between the retaining clip and the brake pad mount. The part number for these fiber/paper pads is D6y13323XA and they should cost $18.29. ( dont let the dealer charge you more). Mention Technical Service Bulletin to the dealer tha installed your front brake pads and see what they say. I have attached a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin to this post.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 04-00122.pdf (4.25 MB, 17 views)
Old 10-23-2023, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by RobertG314
There is a Technical Service bulletin #04-001/22
Robert thanks for providing this information.?
However, if there was still in place technical checking (SAE) by Mazda as there once was prior their publication this one would may not have been approved? Mostly because the cause and possible service correct the brake noise is common and not segregated to any specific year or platform or VINs going back for decades. This is at least for me another supporting reasons why TSB are not meant for general public use. And that why if you read the MAZDA disclaimer it uses to be enforce.
I might add I see nothing that was or can be considered poor engineering on the brake system components as you suggest but as an engineer and also a engineering designer of some brake parts and systems would love to read your detailed explanation why you have that thought?

Old 10-23-2023, 04:00 PM

Robert thanks for providing this information.?
However, if there was still in place technical checking (SAE) by Mazda as there once was prior their publication this one would may not have been approved? Mostly because the cause and possible service correct the brake noise is common and not segregated to any specific year or platform or VINs going back for decades. This is at least for me another supporting reasons why TSB are not meant for general public use. And that why if you read the MAZDA disclaimer it uses to be enforce.
I might add I see nothing that was or can be considered poor engineering on the brake system components as you suggest but as an engineer and also a engineering designer of some brake parts and systems would love to read your detailed explanation why you have that thought?
Callisto,
First, I am trying to understand your response and it's a little difficult. From what I can understand, you dont agree with the remedy as outlined in the TSB, or your problem, being remotely related to your brake issues. That's fine. I was just mentioning this because I thought it might help you or perhaps others that read your thread.

Regarding whether its good or bad engineering, (and I am trying to determine if you are an engineer yourself), its bad engineering. The reason for the fix, (fiber/paper spacer) is to fill in a gap between two different metal parts where there should not be a gap at all. The bad engineering is there is a HUGE gap that should not be there in the first place. ( you have to see it to believe it). I have NEVER seen a fault like this before. The reason it's not a mass recall, and it should be, is because there is no safety issue involved. The brakes still work but they make various noises that sound as if they are malfunctioning. If a reasonable person that did know there was this problem were to drive the car, they would probably be concerned that there was a safety issue. After all, is it normal for a car to make clicking, grinding and squeaking noises when you move the transmission from park to reverse or drive or when the car is going down the road and it hits a slight bump ? The issue is the gap between the brake pad retainer and the housing where the brake pads are. Once again, there should be NO GAP whatsoever !

Below are picture to help explain. Captions are below the pictures.

Retaining clip where brake pad sits in.

There are gaps that should not be there. Due to the gaps, the brake pad moves when force is acted upon it. Hence all the clicking, grinding, etc., noises.

another view of the gap.

Last edited by RobertG314; 10-23-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:11 PM

It not my thread.... the TSB is more universal solution rather then more categorically specific to only X=vin and model year listed.
As for you thoughts about engineering design well ....
Wow ok then another that does not understand floating caliper design!
I am not going to debate with another member today I am already playing with one DIY on another thread. lol
Oh and did you miss the part I Engineer and develop and have marketed Performance brake parts and systems lol
I guess you can school me right?

I do understand why you would think that way so brownie points for at least looking at and coming up with an intelligent theory.

These would be a couple of my BBK front and even yup a rear and rare fictional BBK Now aren't they pretty!

Now who is really good and can see the ops in this picture? Lets see who really knows there stuff!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-23-2023 at 04:21 PM.