Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Noise After Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 08:00 PM
pbs
Default Brake Noise After Dealer Service

I took my 2019 CX-5 for service at a local dealership several months ago where they turned my rotors and replaced my brake pads. Ever since their work I've been having a lot of issues with noise from my front brakes.

I've visited the dealership three times since my initial service trying to get the issue resolved, yet it persists, and in fact may well be worse than ever. During one visit they turned the rotors again, my most recent visit they replaced the front rotors entirely. Aside from a rather voluminous application of brake quiet, I don't know what else they've tried.

Prior to my latest visit it was mainly just a noise, now it can be felt as well.

Anyone have any ideas what they might've done or what the issue could be? I'm not thrilled by the idea of a 4th or 5th visit.

I've attached an audio recording I was able to take of the noise they make when braking while moving forward, if I apply them while moving in reverse they just squeal.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
brake_noise.mp3 (86.8 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by pbs; 09-30-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:57 PM

Sounds like something such as a brake pad or a rotor could be seized. There could also be a rock or something jammed in one of the pads. Generally I just get the rotors replaced every time I do my brakes to avoid issues. Ultimately, the dealer is responsible for any issues they caused.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:15 AM

If they turned down your rotors twice then replaced them, it's not your rotors, you have an issue with your calipers.
Could be a disc pad or the caliper itself. As Alex said the shop is ultimately responsible for their repair.
Though at this point I'd have concerns if they are actually capable of fixing the issue.
I'm not certain how much you've paid out for these services.
If it were me, I'd let them try again but tell if they do not fix the issue, they need to refund any money you've paid.
If still not fixed I would then take it to someone who can do it correctly.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:13 AM
pbs

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If they turned down your rotors twice then replaced them, it's not your rotors, you have an issue with your calipers.
Could be a disc pad or the caliper itself. As Alex said the shop is ultimately responsible for their repair.
Though at this point I'd have concerns if they are actually capable of fixing the issue.
I'm not certain how much you've paid out for these services.
If it were me, I'd let them try again but tell if they do not fix the issue, they need to refund any money you've paid.
If still not fixed I would then take it to someone who can do it correctly.
I haven't paid anything beyond for the initial services thankfully, and agreed, at this point I wonder if they're even capable of resolving the issue.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:52 AM

well I cant tell from that sound video so i am not making any guesses...
not sure I understand why the dealership did marching twice on your rotors?

There is no way anyone can really guess all the possible reasons for the sounds.

At this point you either return to the dealership again or go to an independent service shop and get a brake inspection?

Brak service that you indicated having done is one of the basic and simple service on most all vehicles. Because the issue is on the front that makes them even more simple. So, either something twice was overlooked, or the second time was not inspected carefully enough? What about the test drive was this done, and did you do this with a service advisor the sound and concern?

I might add that you first response said the first service was several months ago???? It should have been addressed back then.
Not siding with the dealership but really ???

Originally Posted by pbs
I took my 2019 CX-5 for service at a local dealership several months ago where they turned my rotors and replaced my brake pads. Ever since their work I've been having a lot of issues with noise from my front brakes.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:24 PM
pbs

Originally Posted by Callisto
well I cant tell from that sound video so i am not making any guesses...
not sure I understand why the dealership did marching twice on your rotors?

There is no way anyone can really guess all the possible reasons for the sounds.

At this point you either return to the dealership again or go to an independent service shop and get a brake inspection?

Brak service that you indicated having done is one of the basic and simple service on most all vehicles. Because the issue is on the front that makes them even more simple. So, either something twice was overlooked, or the second time was not inspected carefully enough? What about the test drive was this done, and did you do this with a service advisor the sound and concern?

I might add that you first response said the first service was several months ago???? It should have been addressed back then.
Not siding with the dealership but really ???
They turned the rotors twice because the first time they did a poor job and machined a deep groove into the rotor. The second time was trying to correct that.

I had to travel shortly after the initial service, and the sound doesn't manifest immediately. It takes a few days to a week for the brake quiet to wear off and the sound to start back. I'm also not returning immediately after it starts again, I have to work, it's not a short drive, and I don't want to regularly travel to and from the dealership.

It's not entirely clear to me what you're implying at the end.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:23 PM

I had a somewhat similar issue with my '21 turbo (not sure if you have an NA, or Turbo as they have different diameter front rotors). Never had an issue with my '19 NA's brakes, but I have had pulsing (audible and in the brake pedal when applied at higher speeds) with my '21 since about 10k. The dealer resurfaced the rotors a while back and the pulsing feeling improved, but the brakes continued to make a pulsing sound when applied from highway speeds. This has turned back into a pulsing through the pedal as it was before. I am going to swap out the rotors and pads and see if this addresses the issue.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:58 AM

Are you sure it's your front brakes? MC-10165341-0001.pdf If this is the issue, I'd personally stay away from the fix. Probably not your issue, but thought it could possibly be worth mentioning.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by pbs
They turned the rotors twice because the first time they did a poor job and machined a deep groove into the rotor. The second time was trying to correct that.
After posting that I wouldn't take a vehicle back to them.
Anyone with basic machine shop knowledge/equipment can turn a rotor, it's one of the easiest machining jobs there is.
If they can't do that correctly I wouldn't have them do any work on my vehicle.
My guess is they didn't replace the pads after the second turning or after they put on the new rotors which is essential.
Stay away from them and take it someplace that knows what they are doing.
Once you get it fixed correctly, I would also attempt to get your money back from the shoddy shop.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by pbs

I had to travel shortly after the initial service, and the sound doesn't manifest immediately. It takes a few days to a week for the brake quiet to wear off and the sound to start back. I'm also not returning immediately after it starts again, I have to work, it's not a short drive, and I don't want to regularly travel to and from the dealership.

It's not entirely clear to me what you're implying at the end.
This gets more ineresting....
How about you post the service order with your personal detail edited out?
Although I don't rule out what you claim it would be very unusual for a "DEALERSHIP" to do the machining damage and not replace the rotor!???
While I can see this happening to a rookie first time on a brake Laythe I find it hard (not impossible) to read a seasoned service setting up the brake Laythe and cutting a groove in a rotor.

As for what I was implying well like I quoted you, you waited a bit long after the service of brakes to return to the dealership!

If you strongly believe the dealership was in error, go to a local service shop or a Firestone and get a brake inspection!

Quick Reply: Brake Noise After Dealer Service