Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 02:23 AM

Interesting, thank you for publishing these.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by hbmcnabb
I am still in the mourning phase but you are correct. I had (past tense) believed that a supposedly reputable car manufacturer would stand behind it's products.

Lesson learned.

I agree with you that the way to go is to trade it for a Toyota.

Btw, love the name carpe diem, that is what I tell my kids every day. As to if they pay attention or not is up for debate.
This is where you take it too far. How exactly is Mazda not standing behind its product? They are fixing the issue - correct? It isn't as if all 2.5l motors had the issue, they knew about it, and kept making engines with the problem. This issue apparently affects a small number of engines. Our '19 GT had 20k miles at turn in and had no problems at the time. The fact Mazda doesn't replace the entire engine (as you suggest) doesn't mean they don't stand behind the product. Myself, I am not sure I would want an entire engine swapped. Lots more things to remove and reinstall and more chances for them to be done incorrectly. The head replacement is relatively simple in comparison.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:11 AM

You are entitled to your opinion as am I. I might suggest that they honored the letter of an extended warrenty that we purchased rather than stand behind their products no more and no less.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by hbmcnabb
You are entitled to your opinion as am I. I might suggest that they honored the letter of an extended warranty that we purchased rather than stand behind their products no more and no less.
This kind of depends on the OEM warranty correct? You have 5yrs/60k on the drive train- which is a pretty standard warranty these days unless you have a KIA/Hyundai. Your car was 10% over the allowed mileage when this occurred. You are lucky and have an extended warranty. Mazda is doing exactly what they should. They don't have to fix anything which occurs outside of the 5yr/60k period. They are not failing to stand behind their product as the defect didn't occur within the time frame of the warranty coverage. Now if your car had the issue at 40k and they denied coverage, I would be with you. I also suspect if you didn't have the extended warranty, Mazda would be willing to goodwill the repair. They just don't have to since you have the extra coverage. Of course we will never know since you are not in this situation.

Last edited by chickdr19; 09-20-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:15 PM

Our 2018 CX-5 GT (49,000KM) has also developed the same pinhole leak in the cylinder head between cylinder 2 and 3. It has cylinder deactivation and was also affected by the original recall for the PCM software upgrade (which was completed before we bought it second hand).

It is scheduled to go into the dealer next week, the problem was discovered by our local garage.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:45 PM

I’m experiencing this right now with my 2019 Mazda 3 2.5L (40000KM) Last night I arrived home and smelled a burning smell in the cabin and saw smoke. Once I inspected the engine, I noticed oil everywhere in the engine bay. Drove it to Mazda this morning and was notified it’s a cylinder head leak. I knew getting a car with CD was a bad idea. Gotta wait til Monday to speak with Mazda Canada and the service manager at my dealership. I’m hoping to get a loaner in the meantime.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:33 AM

Seeing these posts makes me feel I am driving with a ticking time bomb. Hopefully this does not happen during one of our long road trips.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaman007
Our 2018 CX-5 GT (49,000KM) has also developed the same pinhole leak in the cylinder head between cylinder 2 and 3. It has cylinder deactivation and was also affected by the original recall for the PCM software upgrade (which was completed before we bought it second hand).

It is scheduled to go into the dealer next week, the problem was discovered by our local garage.
Just received word that it is in fact a cracked cylinder head and will be replaced under the power train warranty. The service manager advised that the replacement head is on back order and it may be 1-2 weeks or longer before it arrives, and then 2-3 days to install. I’m preparing for a longer outage myself.

I asked about a loaner and he said Mazda Canada will only cover a loaner after the car has been off road for 5 business days. What a joke - they already know now that there is no way it will be fixed before that. This is our primary car, we are lucky my wife is primarily working from home these days. I have a 2007 RX-8 that was meant to be my “fun” car, it was never supposed to be our family daily driver.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:21 AM

We finally got the car back on Nov 27th. It was all cleaned up in the engine compartment (they shampooed it to remove any remaining oil), after the cylinder head was replaced. They had also detailed the exterior. I am pleasantly surprised that everything is working perfectly so far, no strange noises, engine stumbles, or warning lights. It turned out that they also had to replace the entire engine wiring harness, as the clips broke when they were removing it to install the new cylinder head. Just that part alone is CAD$1,100.

Of course the job was entirely covered by our powertrain warranty. I suspect if we had to pay it would have been 4 or 5 thousand dollars, including the wiring harness.

Hopefully we will not have any further issues with the engine. We have just over 1 year left on the powertrain warranty, so this will enable us to drive it through all of the different seasons to see if anything crops up. Mazda made no mention of extending the warranty any further.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaman007
We finally got the car back on Nov 27th. It was all cleaned up in the engine compartment (they shampooed it to remove any remaining oil), after the cylinder head was replaced. They had also detailed the exterior. I am pleasantly surprised that everything is working perfectly so far, no strange noises, engine stumbles, or warning lights. It turned out that they also had to replace the entire engine wiring harness, as the clips broke when they were removing it to install the new cylinder head. Just that part alone is CAD$1,100.

Of course the job was entirely covered by our powertrain warranty. I suspect if we had to pay it would have been 4 or 5 thousand dollars, including the wiring harness.

Hopefully we will not have any further issues with the engine. We have just over 1 year left on the powertrain warranty, so this will enable us to drive it through all of the different seasons to see if anything crops up. Mazda made no mention of extending the warranty any further.
Glad everything worked out. Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket