Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Starting Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Default Starting Off

Hey guys, i just got my 6i 4 cyl hatchback. I haven't pushed it yet to any sort of extent, but whenever i get on the freeway with it, it seems a little sluggish. The acceleration is a little disappointing, i feel the need for more horses in my engine. However, i'm on a slight balance. You guys have probably heard the "get a air-intake is the first good mod" line alot. so yeah, I know it's a good first mod, however, I'm looking for some real power here. I know that they came out with some aftermarket turbos for the 4 cyl, so I'm grinning about that. I'm not looking to create some sort of car that gets 0-60 in like 4.5 seconds or something like that. I just want some "Umph!" you know? I want something to make me enjoy waiting at a red because i know that i'll go from 0-40 in about 3 seconds. So yeah, just looking for some more power in my car.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Only way to get decent power out of the 4 cyl is to go turbo. Now, you can go with a smaller turbo, get a conservative tune and get a reliable setup that makes decent power (200whp or so), but just keep in mind that you get what you pay for with this stuff, so if you go super cheap, it's probably going to be of inferior quality and break on you. In tuning you can have three things; cheap, fast, & reliable....unfortunately you can only choose 2. Going the N/A route, you can pick up 5hp here & there through various mods, but you are pretty limited on what you can get. I think you can get what you are after going the turbo route, just take your time, do the research, and don't cut corners & you'll be fine. Do it once, do it right.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 PM

thanks man! Well do you know any reliable manufacturers for the smaller turbos? that would be a big boost in horsepower for me to go from the standard 170 to 200. Also, do you know any prices for how much the smaller turbos will cost and the installation?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Well, I know that there are some guys who use the manifold and turbo from the speed6, but other than that I don't know a whole lot about turbos available for the 6i. I have the v6 so i tend to pay more attention to the mods that are available for that. others can chime in, but not sure if there is anybody on here that has a turbo'd 6i.

Only kit i know of is the HiBoost kit, which can be found here. You may be able to find it in other places as well, not sure.