Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Cold Air - Short Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Default Cold Air - Short Intake

Hi guys, quick question (maybe ). I have an 05 Mazda 6s (3.0 V6). I was looking around at cold air intakes and short rams - I live in Michigan, so I was thinking a CAI may not be the best idea because of the amount of rain, but then I came across what are called bypass valves. Anyone have any experience with it?

Looking at this site: http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com...ctionapps.html It doesn't seem that AEM offers bypass valves for the 3.0. I also haven't found bypass valves for K&N or Injen for this particular car. Any ideas? Should I just get a short ram or go for the intake and try to avoid puddles? Thanks a lot - james

Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Default RE: Cold Air - Short Intake

You won't see much difference between the cai and short ram style intakes maybe a coulpe hp. Yes, the CAI takes in the colder air from under the vehicle, but that air has more distance to travel through a hot pipe to the engine whereas a short ram intake is taking warmer air from the engine compartment. You should just call the manufacturers and ask if they offer the valve for your vehicle. A good rep will be able to look up the size of the tube and get you one with the dimensions to fit. You could also get a prefilter that slides over the filter element to help keep moisture out, though it won't get all the moisture out. I would try calling the manufacturers first, they should have the most up-to-date info on applications and MAYBE be able to find one of the valves to fit the car. Good luck, hope this helped.