Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Unfortunately the onlyway you would be able to adjust (trial and error) would be to remove these struts, elongate the holes in a lateral (across the width of the car) and relocate with some sort of 'packer' the struts pulling them away from the car. But this is not a 'bodge it' job we should be doing and also really needs the lower swing arm shortening too (only by a very small amount, a few mm's). Can anyone get access to a microfiche type parts list for the Mazda 5? Nowadays it is in electronic format. We need to see the difference in part numbers from the base and Sport model with respect to the components in the suspension drawing I posted previously, which we prove my opinion on the fault being camber adjustment.

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 04-22-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Default Tyre Treadwear Values

I came across the subject of Tyre Treadwear Values when digging around on the internet. As many of you have had to renew tyres was the Treadwear Value given any consideration when choosing which type to get when renewing?

It seems Treadwear values are an American system used to measure the relative wear between one tyre and another. The higher the value the better the wear resistance. I checked my tyres (Dunlop Sport 2050 made in Japan) and they have a Treadwear value of 240. I looked at my wifes 1997 micra (ATS Euromasters) and they have a value of 300.

Yet another thing I never knew about tyres.

2008 Mazda5 2.0D Sport

Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 AM

With the Mazda 5 sharing the suspension of the Mazda 3 (at least here in the US) and the vehicle has a weight of 514 US pounds more in the compared models (IE the MZ3 S HB compared to the MZ5 S).
Now this is going off of an on line site to by parts here in the US, but everything appears the same, including the Springs.
Now with lowering the MZ3, you buy camber links (Upper control arms) for the rear to adjust them out, but they do sell some that are actually adjustable. That might be something to consider for a rear fix, not the Lowering just the Camber links. Although it is not going to paid for by Mazda but could possibly fix the rear camber issues by getting it to 0 instead of -1.
On the front of the MZ3 there is nothing to do to get less camber, until someone comes out with shorter lower control arms like they have with both cars and trucks here in the US to change the geometry in lowered vehicles we will just have to put up with the extra sportiness and ability to go through corners better.
I just changed out my stock Good Year 205/50 17 tires on my MZ3 at 23,000 miles, religiously rotating them from front to rear every oil change at 3000 miles, my tires are worn evenly all the way across.
It was just an observance on my part, but even with a 50/50 front to rear it would be 125 pounds extra per corner, and would probably be more with the 2.0TD, that which is not even offered in the US.
Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of weight carried, I have seen MZ5's with 4 or 5 people in them that the rear wheels almost seem comical with the amount of negative rear camber. But even through this, none of the people I know with MZ5's are having tire problems like you in the UK.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 PM

I know that I would always try to go for the tyre I feel has the most grip and not it's wear resistance. This comes from my many years of riding my motorbikes. You can't be fooled by all the 'bull' that is given by tyre manufacturers about their tyre, or else there would only be a small number of perfect tread patterns and rubber compounds to suit different types of cars like sports, off road, touring etc. I feel that it is really a 'Suck it and See' issue with tyres as one tyre may be great on one vehicle but rubbish on another vehicle.
The US Mazda 5 is really very different under the 'skin' from the UK. Apart from the left hand drive both there Diesel and Petrol engines are different and theirs has 6 seats. These will all be factors dictated by their market research and local conditions like temperature and pressure (not so important these days because of the disappearance of the carburettor). Do the USA/Canadian roads have the same sort of camber as the UK roads? This may be a cause of our issue, that's why it is called camber, it would also be why it is only seen in the UK, we have cambered roads and right hand drive.
So far I've been very happy with the performance of my new replacement Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's, though they have not seen wet weather yet, since being fitted last week. I have had no reply this week about complaint of tyre wear on front.
Does anyone know where I should best send my old tyre (if I get to retrieve it) for expert opinion on cause of wear (as evidence)? Sending to Dunlop or British Tyre Manufacturers Association (BTMA) is of no value as they are only concerned in faulty or warranty issues in the manufacture of the tyre. This is not a tyre failure issue, it's a Mazda failure.

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 04-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM

I have now new Dunlop Sport Maxx TT fitted to the Mazda 5 ,via the leasing company, after showing them pictures of the tyres down to the canvas on the front after first the tyre garage refusing as there was plenty of tread (according to the law) at over 5.3mm (at worst). Now after a week as I was inspecting the tyres I see that the rear near side rear (UK) damper is covered in oil. That will explain why there has been a knocking and banging in the rear since new tyres fitted. I expect to get a pair of replacement dampers once I complain about them tomorrow. I like the feel of the replacement tyres in the dry, but I have yet to experience their wet of cold weather performance. I am probably not going to measure tread depth as this is not what indicates the wear. Instead I intend to remove and photograph the NSF wheel at various periods (weather permitting). These Dunlops were made in France. There is no specific point that can be measured to indicate wear only that the inner edge wears eventually though the road rubber to the base rubber then canvas or braid. I will update this site with this tyres ability, in my humble opinion, and monitor wear on the inner edge.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM

Same tyre wear issues for me ( M5 2.0 sport.) Flat tyre at 12500m due to inn tyre paring down to rim!
Dealer unhelpful and evasive. MMUK no better- trying to claim due to driving under- inflated. (Rubbish.)
Case open with MMUK but no response after initial " we are looking into it" letter until I rang today. Unhelpful AND denied knowing of ANY other cases of excessive front tyre wear. They must think forums don't exist!
Am waiting a call back from a Robert Hancock- someone senior I gather. If no joy am going to SMMT, Watchdog, Which and anyone else I can think of. Seriously fed up and will never deal with Mazda again.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Default alignment data update

(edited 29/04/09)
Hello all,
Had my car in for alignment today and the results are now in the attachment on post #67.

The alignment was done on a machine that the garage owner proudly told me cost over 10grand and that he got primarily to align the Formula 3 car that he races. I have always found he talks sense in the past so hopefully the data given should be reliable.

Reminder : My car was suffering wear on the front inner edges.
The print out indicated the nominal values were for vehicle 5 SPORT UPGRADE (2005 - ----)

Note: It would appear the nominal values are somewhat different from those posted on a previous post on this thread.

You can see from the diagnosis columns that the front LH partial toe was out of range resulting in a combined slightly toe out situation. After adjustment the combined result was 0 11' toe in.

I was surprised to see that the rear toe in was also out of range. There had been no obvious indication that the rear tyres had a problem. However the total rear toe in was doubled after adjustment.

Discussion with both the mechanic and garage owner produced the following information concerning camber and other queries:-
1.They were not so concerned about camber values as toe in values saying this had more effect on wear.
2. The spigot on top of the macpherson strut is to do with adjustment of camber but it is not a quick job to do.
3. Increasing air pressures above guidelines was not recommended.
4. Discussion about rotating the tyres on their rims could be done once an area was worn but there was an increased liklihood it would continue to wear even on a correctly aligned car.
5. The owner had read many of the forum posts from my email and indicated that he felt many of the problems related to dealers not having accurate enough alignment equipment.

Without prolonging my notes with too much detail suffice it to say I ended up putting 2 new Goodyear NCT5 X/LOAD tyres on the front. After driving the 50 miles or so home the car felt much different especially round corners where it did not sound like it was scrubbing so much. A quick check of the tyres when I got home indicated no wear or road contact at all on the inner or outer edges.

The alignment check was free - the new tyres were my decision and sold at cost.

I expect to be doing about 2000miles next month so will post again then with how things are going.

2008 Mazda 5 2.0D Sport

Last edited by Rhodri; 04-29-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Better format of alignment figures
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 AM

If Mazda UK can't recall any other tyre wear issues on Mazda 5 cars, just give them the case number 1-56184232 and see if it jogs their memory. It goes back to 12 Mar 07. Good luck, as MMUK Customer Assistance Centre appears to be staffed by amnesiacs as when I reported my problems they had not had any other instances, despite me seeing a pile of worn Dunlops heaped in the corner of the dealer's workshop which was investigating my case. My contact at the time was John Smith (no really).

Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 AM

Rhodri,

I have sent you a private message (top right under your username) with my e-mail address.

If you send me the word or excel documents I will get them sorted for you if you would like me to.

Edited to say - try this:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
alignment doc april 2009.pdf (5.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by wrxseeker; 04-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by aligloo
Same tyre wear issues for me ( M5 2.0 sport.) Flat tyre at 12500m due to inn tyre paring down to rim!
Dealer unhelpful and evasive. MMUK no better- trying to claim due to driving under- inflated. (Rubbish.)
Case open with MMUK but no response after initial " we are looking into it" letter until I rang today. Unhelpful AND denied knowing of ANY other cases of excessive front tyre wear. They must think forums don't exist!
Am waiting a call back from a Robert Hancock- someone senior I gather. If no joy am going to SMMT, Watchdog, Which and anyone else I can think of. Seriously fed up and will never deal with Mazda again.
What age/reg is your car ???

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5