Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

Front tires are the main issue.

The left front is from far the most affected

Old 08-03-2007, 05:19 AM

I have had 5issues with my Mazda 5 2.0 Sport. Each time the issue was resolved efficiently by my dealer but with no acknowlegement of the problem being widespread. The issues:

1. Worrying sound going over speed humps and bumps only when it was cold.This was looked at 2 years ago and the issue never arose again
2. Mechanical clicking sound coming from front suspension on full lock. Again resolved by the dealer.
3. Whistling sound from driver's door at motoways speed. Seals were replaced and the car was much quieter.
4. Brake judder when lightly pressing them at higher speeds. Disks skimmed to resolve.
5. Excessive and dangerous tyre wear as described in this forum.

Thedealer looked at the tyres said that immediate replacement was need. They also acted as the middleman to Mazda UK who paid for 100% of the rear tyres and 70% of the front tyres. The suspension was re-aligned to the latest specification. The dealer explained that the specifications gave a range and that UK cars were set at one extreme of the range. He believed the latest specifications would solve the issue. Time will tell. All up I paid about £70 for four new tyres after 16,000 miles.

Ithas beena pain buying a latest model car as it is released and although all issues seem to be resolved to my satisfaction it has been inconvenient going back to the dealer all the time. It sounds like Mazda UK are not doing themselves any favours with the way they deal with issues and keep the dealerships informed. Next time I will only buy a car 12-18 months after release.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 AM

to let you know i have replaced my wheels with 18 inch and the tyres are 225/ 40/ 18 . i have done 9000 miles on these tyres and they look as good as new front and rear.my old wheels with dunlops had done 1200 miles and you could see slight wear scrubbing on the rears .the only thing i can think the wider tyre spreads weight more even than the other. my tyre pressures are 32 front 34 rears .

Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Hi, I purchased my new Mazda 5 Sport diesel in August 2006, and this July it went in for 12k service - at 11,250 miles. To my shock I will need two front tyres - outer edges scrubbing, and soon two rear tyres, inner edge scrubbing.
I was able, after reading this forum, to make a complaint to Mazda Uk, andpresent photos of identical tyre wear on another member's5to a very surprised dealer. The dealers, to their credit,have been very sympathetic,this was their first 5 with tyre troubles, and they've researched Mazdatech bulletins etc to find info re alternative Dunlops now being fitted by Mazda Uk, plus new axle geometry settings, and kept me informed.
They now tell methat Mazda uk will make me a formulatedoffer of approx 60% towards all 4 tyres, depending on the amount of wear in the centre of the tyres,plus free resetting of axle/suspension. I trustthis calculation is basedonthe reasonable tyre wear we would expect from a correctly designed vehicleafter 11,250 miles? I await details.....
I have told the dealer I have no intention of paying for 4 tyres and awaiting "goodwill"settlement from Mazda. I also keep telling the dealer that they are being let down by Mazda, who should recall all 5's with 17" alloys.
Needless to say I am not impressed, this was my first Mazda - its likely to be the last - if I can sell it on at a reasonable figure.
maztired2006

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Throg, you seem to have done pretty well getting such a good contribution from Mazda. I had all four tyres replaced 3 weeks ago @ 12000 miles and have just had an offer from Mazda of £150 being approx 62% of the cost of the rear tyres, apparently there isn't an issue with the fronts!!

The galling thing is that the car had its first service at the end of April @ 10200 miles and according to the dealer the tyres were fine. I had asked them to check the tyres at the service after discovering this website. There is no way they deteriorated to such an exetent in the interim

To make matters worse (lucky white heather!), I only got about 300 miles from oneof the replacement tyres after getting a puncture on the motorway.

Has anyone else refused an offer and managed to geta subsequent increased offer orhas anyone got any advice on howI should proceed or do I just have to accept what has been offered.

Further update on my situation. It obviously pays to reject your first offer!

My dealer left a messagetoday to advise that Mazda had increased their offer by £75. I don't know whether this is a contribution towards the fronts ora contribution of93% of the rears. The dealer also offered£75 as a gesture of goodwill because of the inconvenience I had suffered from them. I have now been offered approx £300towards my£500 bill. I am not sure whether to accept or hold out for more.

I also feel I have anobligation not to drop this but to take it further because there are bound to be others out there that haven't found this site so don't realise that there is an issue. Mazda should not be allowed to sweep this under the carpet and should be recalling all5s starting with the Sport model to ascertain the extentof the issue and rectifying where necessary. In this regard I contactedConsumer Direct today who advised that vehicle manufacturers have a duty to recall vehicles when there are safety related issues (I would think that driving onpotentially illegaltyres is safety related). They are going to pass my details to Trading Standards toascertain whetherMazda have a case to answer.

I will post further updatesif I hear anything.

Last edited by virgin1; 11-25-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM

I have taken a County Court action against Mazda Motors UK Ltd about the tyre wear problem on the Mazda 5. This is scheduled to be heard on 30 August. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to e-mail me at chris.shaw@mission-at.com.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:35 AM

Hi everyone, I have been away for a while due to ISP problems

I hope that you keep us informed as to how you get on with the court action against MMUK.
What exactly are you claiming against them? Are you going to use evience from this site that proves there is a lot of dissatisfied Mazda 5 owners out here?

As far as my car is concerned. Since my third set of tyres were fitted the wear seems to have been less pronounced. I have to come down a track covered with a white dusty surface and it is clear to see the difference in the coverage of the dust on the tyres now as opposed to before. Now the dust appears to be wearing off evenly across the whole tyre, before the inner edges of the rears would be black with the rest of the tyre still white. That was why I have been able to prove my point with the dealer that there is a serious problem.
As for MMUK and their contribution. To date I have only paid for a very small percentage of the whole cost of replacing the full set of tyres. The last set were changed even though the front tyres were still legal and servicable. I didn't want to compromise the set up of the car with old tyres on, also they had been on the rear for 3000 miles so were unevenly worn to an extent.
My dealer stumped up some of the cost with MMUK picking up the rest.
I agree that it is now about time that MMUK stumped up and sorted out the problem once and for all. I also think that it is about time they came clean and told owners about the problem. I hope that the court action forces MMUK to at least acknowledge the issue publicly.
Good luck, and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 AM

Hi Folks,

Just got off the phone with the service manager at my supplying dealer. I've been waiting to hear back from him since early July about action on my rear tyres, as previously posted. Hes just let me know that Mazda have today published an updated technical bulletin with a new procedure for replacing the tyres affected and have now acknowledged that there is an issue. I have to put my car in next week for half a day so that they can complete the new form and get it sorted. This chap has been really helpful and honest in the past, soI have no reason to doubt his word. It might be worth your while contacting your dealer if you are still experiencing difficulties with this and see what the response is.

I'll keep you posted on this.

For any of you who have good memories, I have also had issues with front tyre wear. After 4000 miles on the new set, it's not looking like that is cured either. And my steering has started to moan loudly while using full lock while parking! I love Mazda!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM

Hi All

I have just joined the forum after having ordered a Mazda5 2.0D Sport for delivery 01.09.07 and trading in my faultless Mazda6 18s. I was alarmed to say the least at this most especially as I easily got 30K out of my rears on the 6 and even at 50K I still have 5K left on the second set put on the front.

I sent my dealer an emailandthe link to this forum indicating my 'dismay'. I was promptly called back and assured that yes Mazda have acknowledged the problem and have fixed it with a combination of alignment changes and tyre 'selection'. The problem no longer affects models with a chassis number above 199062 and that mine was way way above this. The fix was official on all Sport models made from 26.01.2007.

The sevice guy who called me seemed to insist that they would deal with aclaim should I have one but they would need to satisfy themselves that the excessive wear was not from wheel spinning or excessive cornering.

I havn't cancelled my order but as aqualified engineer I am not convinced ........

Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Mazda 5 D Sport Sept 06 14500 miles
Hello I’ve just joined the forum after having the first service on my Mazda 5 (£300). The service manager kindly pointed out on his service check sheet and verbally that I needed new tyres front (illegal) and rears were close behind my tracking wanted checking and I should ask whoever changed my tyres to do this for me this is a Main Mazda dealer just sending me off to fork out my own money as if he was completely unaware of any issues! On pointing out my awareness he then remembered there may have been a service bulletin and he would check and phone me later. Two hours later he explained a form had to be completed for a percentage calculation of the rear tyre claim but front tyres would not be paid for.
[hr] My tyres are great across the main tread but as previous pictures on this forum the edges have vanished, thread is showing on the front inners and rears are wearing on outer edges at both sides but worse on inner edge.
I had to change the rear tyres on a 6 year old Pug 306 D Turbo after 50,000+ miles because the rubber was perrishing of old age, thats before I had kids and used to drive a "bit less sensibley".
I have sent a letter to MMUK asking what action they are going to take. I’ll hold my breath there then. In the mean time I’m going to fit some Kumho KH11 93 W to the front, get an indipendant report on all four tyres and the tracking.
I'll be keeping an eager eye on this forum and on Chrislshawuk's court case results. I hate being ripped off!

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5