Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

Yes, that was probably me, he phoned me todaytoo. He hadn't realised I was referring only to front wheels.
More later....

Dave.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:37 PM

had a phone call from mazda dealership today (after my husband contacted them about this problem) My car is due to go in on Wednesday for its rear lights to be checked, They have told my husband that yes there is a problem with my model and they said that they have recieved a new batch of Dunlop tyres which they will fit to my car, although they never said who is going to foot the bill (but rest asured it wont be me even if i have to leave my car there) Can only think by this that they think it was a bad batch! Just another excuse to me Mazda need to open their eyes before theres a bad accident due to neglegence on their part on this issue.

Will let you know what happens on wednesday

Old 05-11-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Forwardswing
we experienced the accelerator sticking on 7 occassions recently on a cold engine - it seems as if an auto choke has stuck in the on position. Rectified each time by stopping immediately and turning off the engine - has anyone else experienced this at all - or are we the first to develop this new fault.
Hello there, welcome to our band of Merry Mazda Owners!
I would suggest you start a new topic about this, it sounds like the sort of thing we should all be aware of, but it's unlikely to get spotted amongst all our rantings about tyres!

Well I filled in the query form on the Dunlop UK site today (http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/contact/) and soon got a phone call from a really nice guy, Peter, who was surprised to hear that there is a front wheel problem, as Mazda had, by the sound of it, fobbed Dunlop off just like the rest of us by telling them that they had identified a problem and come up with a fix, but it seems they had neglected to mention that they were referringto the rear wheels only.

Peter has recommended that I take my worn tyres (replaced with Bridgestones yesterday) back to the dealer and ask them to return them to Dunlop for inspection. Dunlop's technical guys may well come up with the conclusion that I WAS running the tyres under-inflated (as Mazda UK say I have done), but I'm hoping that they will say that the wear is due to incorrect wheel geometry or similar. I'll keep you all posted.

Incidentally, Peter from Dunlop did mention that they have now exhausted all stocks of the Dunlop Sport tyre in our size! Ha, I wonder why?

More as it happens.......

Dave.

Last edited by virgin1; 11-25-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 AM

Can somebody please post the email address of the relevant department at dunlop.

On another note, WhatCar? were due to run an article on this in there July issue. This now appears to have been pulled due the the relevant journo 'moving jobs'. It seems to be very difficult getting the profile of this problem raised. I guess all magazines need advertising revenue....

It would also be good to know for definite if anybody has been paid out by Mazda for front Tyres specifically.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:17 AM

Hi Nick, the "Contact" page on the Dunlop website has a form to fill in, as I said they phone you back quite promptly.

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/contact/

Unfortunately the form limits you to 1000 characters, so it's quite hard to get the full message across with such a limitation. I'm afraid I don't have an actual e-mail address.

Let us know how you get on,

Dave. (a fellow front-tyre sufferer)

Old 05-12-2007, 06:20 AM

My husband was told by mazda that the tyre wear is due to a problem with underinflation with the tyres and suggested that when we have the car full to change the tyre pressures!!! He said thats fine so mazda will give all of us portable tyre compressors ? to which there was no reply! He replyed I drive a 40 tonne lorry and when i travel loaded or unloaded i dont have to change tyre pressures.
Come on Mazda why not sort this out instead your just getting bad publicity

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 PM

Found this sitehttp://www.pneus-online.co.uk/utqg-advice.html which explains the wear and grip ratings which it says are marked on tyres - hadn't heard of these before. If someone can give the figures for the original Dunlops we can compare our various alternatives. Other useful stuff too.

My Sport D143 had rears replaced with more Dunlops at 12500 (I think FOC), then fronts replaced by Goodyear Eagle at 15200, plus alignment check, at previous owner's expense. After seeing and agreeing to buy it, at 16700, I found this thread so rang dealer to express concern. Dealer did another alignment check and replaced the Dunlops again (with Pirelli P6000) at no cost to me before I took delivery (on 2nd May). Didn't see the Dunlops they replaced. Alignment check showed rear negative camber of -2*09' left and -2*29' right. Printout says maximum is -2*25', minimum -0*25',and mid-point -1*25'. But dealer said MMUK had said -2*29' OK, so they didn't change it. Front and rear toe-in reset to near mid-point, (partial toe +1*10' F&R, total toe +2*20' F&R), front camber nearly spot-on mid point (-0*43'). Maybe rear camber hard to adjust?

I spoke to an experienced tyre technician at local independent (Bathwick Tyres) today. He said he didn't know of any other vehicle model which eats inner edges of tyres - just individual vehicles when tracking out. He confirmed that under-inflated tyres will wear on BOTH edges.

Most estate cars have a higher recommended rear pressure when fully loaded. My dear old Pug 406 did, but I didn't always remember to do it, and rear tyreslasted 30-40,000. But nice squidgy 195-65s, not silly boy-racer 50 section.

Stay with us, Terry1100 (and any other TS2 owners)! Lack of problems on TS2 will support argument that there IS a problem on the Sport.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Stay with us, Terry1100 (and any other TS2 owners)! Lack of problems on TS2 will support argument that there IS a problem on the Sport.
Count on it. I've already put an extra "tab" into my fuel consumption spreadsheet to measure tyre tread every 1,000 miles.

I'm convinced that we've reached the point where (on mainstream cars at least) the benefits of "rubber band" profiletyres are outweighed by the negatives - the Sport seems to prove this.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:14 AM

After my 4 wheel alignment check was carried out, i asked the dealer for a copy of the data for my records. I was told that as the check was done under warrenty and paid for by Mazda, that this data belonged to Mazda and i didnt have any right to it! (by Stuart, acting service manager, Pheonix Mazda, Linwood, Glasgow.)
I could of course pay for another alignment check then all the data would be handed over. Anyone else been told this crap?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 AM

My severely worn on the inner edge Avon zz3's are rated at 240 treadwear Traction AA and Temp A

Not sure what the Dunlop ratings were though. I think Maz05dahas Dunlops on still.

My dealer has to be fair, been very up front with any information and no mention of ownership belonging to anyone.
The information may have been carried out under warranty, but it is your car they are tinkering with, so you should be told exactly what they have done.
Otherwise MMUK might say to the dealers to bring all the cars in for a 'look' and tell them to alter the settings without telling you what they had done....
Hey Presto! problem solved mysteriously.........
MMUK end up not having to fund dozens of sets of tyres, and they can come out and say that all of us were moaning about nothing....

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5