Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear on UK Mazda 5

Purchased in Canada Oct 2005 Currently 34000 kms - significant wear on front 2 tires (inside half on both left and right) (yes have been rotating, maintaining pressure) - Factory Toyo Proxes A05 205/55/16 inch- Had the front 2 replaced at tire and rim shop with a different model of tire (still Toyo's)
The sales person recommended that I don't buy the Proxes, and suggested a cheaper tire that performed better. He thinks that the Proxes are nice and quiet, which is why Mazda selected them initially, the tiresare goodin dry weather, but the wear on them is poor and poor wet weather performance.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 AM

Interesting that it's 16" rims in Canada with a problem. So far the UK semes to be suffering on the sportier models with 17" rims only.

It's too early to tell withour TS2 (16" rims) as it's our lower mileage car. It only has 2,000 miles so far (SWMBO uses it in town with the kids, I drive the Mazda 2 distance). I've been keeping a carefull eye on the tread depth. We'll find out next month when we head to France. We'll more than double the total mileage over the two weeks.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 AM

Hi,

This is a new forum for me and before I start just to let you know, I know next to nothing about cars.
I do believe I have the Mazda5 tyre disease though and I am looking for advice.

We bought our Mazda5 in November from a Mazda dealerwith 12000 miles on clock and I have no idea what the state of the tyres was - I assumed they were OK. I knwe one tyre was different (newer than the rest)

Last week I took the car in for a recall regarding the catch on sliding doors (which was fine) and they did a quick check on the tyres and they said one (front) needed replacing as it had a chunk out of it and was swelling. Car's currently at 21,000 miles.

So I took it to McConechy's who reported that the rear twoneed replacing due to uneven wear (on inside) and one was down to the threads. I got them to fix it, paid for it etc...

This weeek I've stumbled upon this forum (kind of by chance) and am now concerned. I just phoned McConechy's who are going to dig out the old tyres (if possible) to use as evidence.
I don't mind paying fornew tyresonce, but not again and again and what's more important is the safety of my children.

Can anyone give me any advise on how to stop this happening again ?
Are Mazda now recognising this as a defect and fixing the alignment ?
Is there anything I can do to stop the problem occurring (tyre pressures etc??)
Do the dealerships recognise a problem ?

Any help, tips, advise

Thanks

Karl

Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Hi all.

Looking to replace my car and the Mazda 5 is currently high on my list. I've just read much of this forum (followed the link from Honest John) and need to check something.

I've not read every single post, but enough to get the gist of what's going on, but can i just check one thing? Can I confirm that it appears to only be the Sport models that are affected? Has anyone had the problem on the TS or TS2? (The TS2 would be my most likely choice.)

Many thanks,

Trevor

Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 AM

Trevor,

"Conventional wisdom" seems to suggest that the problem is with 17" wheels, not the 16"which should mean that theTS2 is unaffected.

I'm watching ours like a hawk but at 2,000 miles it's too early to tell.

We love our TS2 - just don't specify bigger alloys as an option !

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM

Hi Karl, welcome to our club!!

You don't say if your car is a Sport model, but I'll assume it is from the symptoms. The quick answer is that you should be OK if your problems are only with the rear tyres, as Mazda UK have acknowledged this fault and do have a fix for it and have been known to replace rear tyres that have suffered premature or uneven wear due to this fault.

I would get along to a Mazda dealer and explain the problem you've had, even better if you can recover your ruined tyres to show them, and have them deal with Mazda UK on your behalf regarding fixing the fault and hopefully refunding the cost of your new tyres.

My advice is to keep a close eye on the front tyres, as Mazda will not acknowledge a problem with front tyre uneven wear, but lots of us are suffering from this (like me)

Keep us up to date with your progress, it's always interesting to see how dealers across the country treat us, the people who pay their wages!!

Best of luck.

Dave.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM

Hello and welcome to new members.

Re.Elena's follow-on question, auto transmission is not available in UK, so old hands here can't help you. Perhaps try another thread, or start a new one? Thereis also, I believe, a 2.4 litre petrol engine option in North America (but not UK), for which some specs may be different.

On tyre pressures, seems best, for Sport diesel with 17 inch rims at least,to run on 36 psi front, 38 psi rear (check when tyres cold withaccurate gauge; if unsure of gauge, add 1 psi for luck). But still put more in the rears when carrying a full load (I've just delivered a full load of water to relations in Gloucestershire, and it helps stability too). If not already done, press your dealer to do a full alignment check (FOC if you can), as Mazda (in UK at least) have issued new figures. Independent tyre dealers may not have the new figures (or in some cases even the original ones).

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM

On my UK 2006 Mazda 5 Sport the supposed fix (2mm toe in) for inner tyre wear doesn't seem to be working on the fronts. Had tyres changed in Feb and have done 7000 miles on them to date. The fronts appear to be losing approx 1mm outer tread per 1000 miles and so are down to 2mm. Inner edge is at 5mm. 2000 more miles and will be bald on outer edge and need replacing. Rears are OK without pronounced inner (or outer) tread wear and still have 6-7mm tread left. Anyone else had the 'fix' and suffering outer tread wear?

Looks like it is time to contact my dealer again - sigh

Minty

Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM

Hello,

I'm from Portugal and here also are a few M5 with excessive tyre wear.

My dealer Portelcar in Lisbon told me when i lift my M5 in January that this question had been solved with new figures for the suspensions and wheels.

Since then the cases that i had knowladge have done more than 25000 kms with the new tyre set and everything seens fine.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Hi there, do you know if the cases in Portugal involved front or rear tyre wear (or both)?

Dave.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5