Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 sport gearbox pop off

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 03:16 AM
Default Mazda 5 sport gearbox pop off

Hello everyone. A newby here. I have been having problems with my gearbox sticking in gear, I espect with cold weather (minus 12 here). I was advised to leave it in reverse to get off my drive. So did that this morning, then when I went to go in 1st. It would not budge. So, me being me, tried to use a bit brute force. In doing this, it seems like something has come off the gearbox. As it just moves side to side very freely. I have now managed to get it into first I think, but it is still moving very freely. Do you guys think I have popped one of the gears selectors off on the side of the engine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-12-2021, 10:58 AM

You may have a bad clutch master it slave cylinder, air compressing or water freezing in the clutch hydraulic line. Hopefully you did not damage one of the shift cables.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the reply mate. I took the box off underneath the gearstick. And the hard plastic that holds the end of the gear cable has snapped. I'm just glad it was not the actual cable.

That is where it has snapped. Im hoping i should be able the part as a whole online.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Saw your post the other day and was wondering if one of the linkages under the shifter had broken or popped loose, but didn’t have time to reply.

Once you get that fixed you may want to consider replacing the gear fluid for the transmission. My ‘05 Mz3 5-speed got .......”gooey” in cold weather. Replaced with redline fluid and it was much improved.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
Saw your post the other day and was wondering if one of the linkages under the shifter had broken or popped loose, but didn’t have time to reply.

Once you get that fixed you may want to consider replacing the gear fluid for the transmission. My ‘05 Mz3 5-speed got .......”gooey” in cold weather. Replaced with redline fluid and it was much improved.
Yeah. I think your right there like mate. As I tried to move the gears up and down again yesterday and it was frozen. I poured some kettle water over, and that did the job. But I'll be sure to put redline fluid on it now, to keep it from freezing over again. Thanks for the reply mate.